• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Hi Chris,
Great to be in touch with you after all these years. Your post is very interesting and informative but also sad that some of our contemporaries have passed away( Norman Garwood, Malc Acklin, Malc Foley, Tony Collett). I remember you were not in school much after your father died and wondered what you did with your life after that. I left Brum in 1966 and never went back, so never really kept in touch with anyone except Bernard Smith who became an architect and lives in Thame, Oxon. and Roger Harding, who was best man at my (first) wedding. See my other post dated August 14. After University I became an accountant. I was articled with Touche Ross in Bristol then moved to the USA where I lived for 7 years, returning to the UK in 1986. In the States I worked for Coca Cola in El Paso, Texas and then Baker Oil in New Orleans. I had a great time there but was happy to return to the UK, ultimately. My wife and I own & manage two nursing homes in South Wales and despite my great age (I think I am 2 days younger than you) have not retired yet.
Incidentally, you mentioned Gil Jones in your post - I wondered if he is still alive? Anyway, that's all for the moment - will have more to say in my next post. Take care. Best wishes, Mike (Murphy).

I do rememberbits about the Neustatd
Hi,
Covid -19 and time on my hands….I was thinking of tracing my ancestors whereabouts in Birmingham and came across this site.
I was in the first intake into Lordswood, I think I went through 1B, 2B, 3B, 4B & 5S. I do remember the form roll call on the first day started Adams, Apps, Blundell, Brown….me being the Blundell with Geoff Brown sitting behind me. Our form master was a red haired Welshman (I think) and on the first day he was looking for volunteers, and went round the form saying you’ll do so and so, then picked on me saying “right Percy, you can do this”, hence for a long time I was called Percy, sometimes Sparcy, although my name was Chris.
I was always (or felt I was) in trouble at school, I knocked about with Graham Whitmore, Martin Stenzel, John Shakespeare, Malcolm Acklin, Norman Garwood, Melvyn (nobby)Sutton, Mike Mitchell, Kit Round, Mike Murphy, Casewell, Colson, Dave Fisher,Pete Johnson (Haybag) , Phelps, et al.
Nobby used to come and stay some weekends at our house and ……Tony Collette (may have name incorrecect) came on holidays with my family to Abersoch in Wales...I have a photo somewhere.

My father passed away whilst I was in the 5th form and I went off the rails a bit and played truant for most of the year, subsequently left, went (pushed by my mother and family friends) to Naval College in Cardiff, and served an apprenticeship in the Merchant Navy, getting my Foreign going Masters ticket at Southampton University and sailed around the world, but mostly West Africa. I left after 8 years, and worked for a large Flooring Contractor, after 6 months I left and started on my own, at the same time Malcolm Acklin (Mac) had just got demobbed from the Army and we hooked up and worked together for well over 10 years and had 30 + staff, until he decided England wasn’t for him anymore (that’s another story!!!) and he emigrated to Oz and we sold out….I met him a few times in UK after that and I went to see him in Oz about 8 years ago and stayed with him for a couple of weeks….sadly he passed away about 4 years ago.
After selling out, I bought a Pub in Worcestershire, Gil Jones used to come for lunch at least once a fortnight with his wife, Mary and we would also go out for meals with them, I think he was Headmaster then, strange how things work out!!!
I did meet up at the Pub when Mac came back for a visit in the early 90s with Mitch Mitchell, Kit Round and Richard(?) Harding and we had a good time reminiscing, I think Rich Harding was in the building trade, Kit Round was in high end Medical Supplies, Mitch was working for the Council.

I bumped into Geoff Brown 3 or 4 times on flights to the States, he was the subject of an interview on Birmingham TV about a year or so ago and during that he said that he now lives in Mexico.(I see his first wife occasionally) I would occasionally see Norman Garwood, who went in TV/Films, doing production design, he ended up living in the States, and got an nominated 3 times for an Oscar and once for an Emmy, and won a BAFTA….he passed away last year.(he was on the roll call of deceased dignitaries)

I remember all the staff and a lot of contemporaries names not mentioned in these threads, but putting the names to faces is another matter, I played rugby for the school, but cannot see myself on any photograph, I threw the javelin (I have a winners badge!), discus and shot in county championships…afraid I have only one pic of the swimming team and nothing else.

I do remember going on a YHA trip with Hepton and I think Mercati to walk over Helvellin and Scafell Pike and remember we all bathed in ice cold water on the top of the mountain…..never quite sure about Hepton??. I also remember a school trip to Neustatt ( I think) in Bavaria to improve our German with Barry Long and Ian Lewis…or was it someone else?

I think that’s enough from me now, I’ll await some comments………….
I remember bits about the trip to Neustatd im Schwarzwald trip like being booted out of a very comfortable carriage by staff for the overnight section down the Rhein valley, like some pupil "falling" down a ski jump and being in hospital for some time after the end of the holiday much to the "annoyance" of the staff (Luckman?) who had to stay as well and the response of the group watching a German TV programme without understanding a word when the cast showed a lead played by Wolf Wanker. It was also the trip when cheap German cigars turned me off smoking for life. I can say I gave up smoking at 13!

Hi, Mike,
Glad to hear you are still fit and well enough for work.............I suppose it will be a natural transgression from owner to patient one day!! How on earth did you remember we are 2 days apart in birthdays, I was 75 on Sept 8th..
I moved out of Brum in the mid 70's to Ombersley, Worcestershire and ended up owning 3 pubs in and around that area, which I sold around Millennium time and sort of retired at 55. We had a couple of years off and toured the World once more, States, Canada, South Africa & Oz. Now, I wouldn't give you a thank you to get on a plane (not that we could at moment.
Bored I went into property developing, did really well, but lost a bundle of cash during the last property recession!!
Hey ho..... we (2nd wife...45 years wed) are reasonable comfortable and don't want for much, although we did have to downsize somewhat.
Pic attached is the swimming team, me in middle of 3rd row from bottom (can anyone name the rest, I said before good with remembering names, but not faces)...afraid I don't look like that now, not much on top and hirsute and a little overweight!! I remember Harborne swimming baths, clothes soaking wet on the floor and cups of hot oxo from the café there and galas at Woodcock St baths in Brum. Went to Brum couple of weeks ago (first time for about 10+years) to some posh restaurant, blimey it's changed, driving was a nightmare.
I spend most of my days gardening, cooking, playing golf, dining out and being with my family..5 kids (4B 1G...not all with the same mother!!) and 5 grandchildren)....makes me feel really old with a 50 year old son!
Regarding Gil Jones, I would imagine he's under the sod by now, he would surely have been 15/20 years older than us.
I noticed a few of the later threads mention someone called Uggy White, I think they are referring to someone I know as "Whitey", I used to drink with him in the Chalet of the Talbot (run by John Narbett..he became a close friend) and both Mac Acklin and I used to go over to the school in the evening in our mid 20's and do circuit training with him to keep fit (that allowed us to have a couple of extra pints!!. I met him through Moseley Rugby Club, where he played, I think he had a side-kick from the school called George Foley (???). Anyway last I saw him was at the Rugby lunch at Stourbridge RFC, he was the coach there, one of my lads played there.
All for now, let me know about the names on the pic......more about my near expulsion from the school next time.
PS I remember sleeping on the train the Neustatt in the luggage rack.........

Attachments

• IMG_2478.JPG
    IMG_2478.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Hi, Mike,
Glad to hear you are still fit and well enough for work.............I suppose it will be a natural transgression from owner to patient one day!! How on earth did you remember we are 2 days apart in birthdays, I was 75 on Sept 8th..
I moved out of Brum in the mid 70's to Ombersley, Worcestershire and ended up owning 3 pubs in and around that area, which I sold around Millennium time and sort of retired at 55. We had a couple of years off and toured the World once more, States, Canada, South Africa & Oz. Now, I wouldn't give you a thank you to get on a plane (not that we could at moment.
Bored I went into property developing, did really well, but lost a bundle of cash during the last property recession!!
Hey ho..... we (2nd wife...45 years wed) are reasonable comfortable and don't want for much, although we did have to downsize somewhat.
Pic attached is the swimming team, me in middle of 3rd row from bottom (can anyone name the rest, I said before good with remembering names, but not faces)...afraid I don't look like that now, not much on top and hirsute and a little overweight!! I remember Harborne swimming baths, clothes soaking wet on the floor and cups of hot oxo from the café there and galas at Woodcock St baths in Brum. Went to Brum couple of weeks ago (first time for about 10+years) to some posh restaurant, blimey it's changed, driving was a nightmare.
I spend most of my days gardening, cooking, playing golf, dining out and being with my family..5 kids (4B 1G...not all with the same mother!!) and 5 grandchildren)....makes me feel really old with a 50 year old son!
Regarding Gil Jones, I would imagine he's under the sod by now, he would surely have been 15/20 years older than us.
I noticed a few of the later threads mention someone called Uggy White, I think they are referring to someone I know as "Whitey", I used to drink with him in the Chalet of the Talbot (run by John Narbett..he became a close friend) and both Mac Acklin and I used to go over to the school in the evening in our mid 20's and do circuit training with him to keep fit (that allowed us to have a couple of extra pints!!. I met him through Moseley Rugby Club, where he played, I think he had a side-kick from the school called George Foley (???). Anyway last I saw him was at the Rugby lunch at Stourbridge RFC, he was the coach there, one of my lads played there.
All for now, let me know about the names on the pic......more about my near expulsion from the school next time.
PS I remember sleeping on the train the Neustatt in the luggage rack.........

Hi Chris,
I don't know how I remember your birthday but as an accountant I do remember numbers! Mine is Sept. 10th. and my younger son is Sept. 8th. like you. Funnily enough my late father was Sept. 9th. How about that. As far as the names on your swimming pic. I think I know some. Top row 2nd from left Malc Foley, 5th. along(next to you) A. Moss . 6th. along Polanski? 7th. along BT Rogers, Front row far right IC Rogers.
I went on a school trip to Rome in 1960 to see some of the Olympics with Gil Jones and Mr. Lewis. . That was interesting. One day we all went to Porto Anzio on the coast and got horribly sunburned , we ended up going to a local hospital to be rubbed down in some sort of oil (that wasn't so bad!) We stayed in a pretty grotty place called Instituto Romano in central Rome in a huge dormitory. I wrote an article on the trip for the school magazine (I've still got the magazine somewhere.) Another trip I went on was with Hepton - youth hostelling in Gloucestershire. I can't say it was memorable and we slept on bunk beds (as in Rome). All I remember about that trip was the rain! I must dig out some more photos.
All for now. Take care. Mike

Last edited:
Bluto:

I was there '59-'64 so our paths didn't cross directly, however I can add some names to your Swimming Team photo as the bottom row appears to consist mostly of faces that are familiar from across my year. Some are now no more than faces with uncertain names from other classes, but here's what I can add anyway.

Bottom, 2nd from right Ron Vercesi; 4th from right "Ozzy" Osborne; 2nd from left Maunder, sorry but no first name; far left - I think Sansom or something close anyway, possibly 1st name Roger but apologies to him if wildly incorrect on either/both however.

2nd row up, 3rd from right - Stanley, first name another Roger maybe, or possibly Robert.

Hope these help.

Just a memory in-passing, spurred by your posting name ...

For a couple of years my/our English teacher was Mr. Ludlam, whom I remember as a nice guy, soft-spoken, enthusiastic, introduced writers by reading aloud to us from them, He would illustrate the changeable nature of words and language with anecdotes of his own, e.g. "I remember when first hearing pop singers going on about 'their baby' or singing to "baby" I couldn't understand and was puzzled just thinking about a baby *mimed cradling a babe-in-arms* "

But anyway ... rather cruelly I think, we referred to him as Popeye because in our schoolboyish way we latched on to his wide-open and rather expressive eyes that I am sure didn't protrude at all of course but the nickname was used just as if they did anyway.

On a school trip to Interlaken for I think about a dozen pupils Mr L was one of the leaders/chaperones, and was also accompanied by his wife and their young child aged around 3 or 4 in my recollection ... and I have a very chuckle-making memory of him walking along the (Snow Hill I seem to think) platform as we made for the train, with a seam-stretching full rucksack on his back and with a baby's potty hanging off it by a carabiner and swinging from side to side.

TQ

hi TQ in the swimming photo post 203 bottom row 4th from right is that THE ozzie osborne

lyn

I wonder if anyone remembers a teacher called Ron Kindon.

Yes I remember him well ... tall, well-spoken, rather angular facial features, always in a good suit :) ... a very decent bloke, approachable, would always stop for a chat or just to pass the time of day if he had nowhere to go.

Can't recall for sure, but I think he might have joined the Staff in my 2nd or 3rd year so '60/'61

I remember well, however, that there was a boy in a different class in my year who was also named Kindon and bore a very striking resemblance to him, and I believe they got their heads together at some point and it transpired that they were cousins.

TQ

hi TQ in the swimming photo post 203 bottom row 4th from right is that THE ozzie osborne

lyn

Hi Lyn ... No, but with that surname he was never going to be called anything other than Ozzy anyway :)

But I think that Lordswood can possibly lay claim to having the genuine original Ozzy Osborne anyway however, Sabbath-Ozzy would I think be a year or so younger so a mere whippersnapper from Aston borrowing the name :)

TQ

thanks TQ i just wondered...i have not really been through this thread properly but was thinking it would be great if there was a photo of ozzie the forum....i believe his childhood house at 14 lodge road aston is still there

lyn

Ozzy Osborne (and Tony Iommi) went to Birchfield Road Senior boys school in Perry Barr.
I think one or two of our members were there at the same time, he has been mentioned in the Birchfield thread.

Hi Chris/Keith/Pete,
Scan2020-11-14_133113.jpgScan2020-11-01_223939.jpg
Here's 2 more pics. Cross country - I'm 4th from left back row next to Peter Dawe. In front of me are Maddocks and Mel Sutton. Front row left is Pat Coleman and Smith next to him. Small team - must have been an unpopular sport!
The Lordswood gym is interesting - I remember most of the names: On the left are Martin Stenzel, Sudarshin Kalsi, centre are Coles (Molar) and Ward. Back beam right centre is me, front beam are David Burns and Lampert. I think the one on the mat is Charlie Phelps.
Historic picture now that its all been demolished.
Hope you are all keeping well.
Best wishes, Mike M.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,
I don't know how I remember your birthday but as an accountant I do remember numbers! Mine is Sept. 10th. and my younger son is Sept. 8th. like you. Funnily enough my late father was Sept. 9th. How about that. As far as the names on your swimming pic. I think I know some. Top row 2nd from left Malc Foley, 5th. along(next to you) A. Moss (there's history there!). 6th. along Polanski? 7th. along BT Rogers, Front row far right IC Rogers.
I went on a school trip to Rome in 1960 to see some of the Olympics with Gil Jones and Mr. Lewis. . That was interesting. One day we all went to Porto Anzio on the coast and got horribly sunburned , we ended up going to a local hospital to be rubbed down in some sort of oil (that wasn't so bad!) We stayed in a pretty grotty place called Instituto Romano in central Rome in a huge dormitory. I wrote an article on the trip for the school magazine (I've still got the magazine somewhere.) Another trip I went on was with Hepton - youth hostelling in Gloucestershire. I can't say it was memorable and we slept on bunk beds (as in Rome). All I remember about that trip was the rain! I must dig out some more photos.
Mike/Chris/Keith
Trust you are all well.
Mike ,on the swimming team photo Malcolm Foley is actually 2nd from left on the 2nd row down.
Don't know who that is behind him.
I mentioned in an earlier post that Malcolm ,Tony Collett and I remained friends for life.
Chris you mentioned earlier about Tony going on holiday with you and your family.
Sadly he is no longer with us.
A sad set of circumstances really.
For the first 10 years or so of his working life he was a metallurgist with International Nickel but then left and worked in general engineering.
He was diagnosed with asbestosis when he was 57 and passed away quite quickly.
The cause was traced back to the asbestosis mats that were used at International Nickel during experimentation work.
A great pal and best man at both of my weddings.
Malcom passed on about 3 years ago.
Started life in personnel management as it was called back then.
Ended up at Brintons carpets and eventually fronted a management buyout for Grosvenor part of the group.
They focused on high end niche carpets.
Buckingham Palace,stately homes and historical film sets.
They provided the carpet for the Oval Office in the film Lincoln.
I was his best man in 1970.
Hard to believe it's 50 years ago.

Keep well
Good to be in touch
Peter Hession

Mike/Chris/Keith
Trust you are all well.
Mike ,on the swimming team photo Malcolm Foley is actually 2nd from left on the 2nd row down.
Don't know who that is behind him.
I mentioned in an earlier post that Malcolm ,Tony Collett and I remained friends for life.
Chris you mentioned earlier about Tony going on holiday with you and your family.
Sadly he is no longer with us.
A sad set of circumstances really.
For the first 10 years or so of his working life he was a metallurgist with International Nickel but then left and worked in general engineering.
He was diagnosed with asbestosis when he was 57 and passed away quite quickly.
The cause was traced back to the asbestosis mats that were used at International Nickel during experimentation work.
A great pal and best man at both of my weddings.
Malcom passed on about 3 years ago.
Started life in personnel management as it was called back then.
Ended up at Brintons carpets and eventually fronted a management buyout for Grosvenor part of the group.
They focused on high end niche carpets.
Buckingham Palace,stately homes and historical film sets.
They provided the carpet for the Oval Office in the film Lincoln.
I was his best man in 1970.
Hard to believe it's 50 years ago.

Keep well
Good to be in touch
Peter Hession

Peter,
You are quite right about the swimming photo, of course -(my typo). Top row second from left is Peter Dawe. I'm still looking for more photos. Cheers, Mike

Hi Chris,
I don't know how I remember your birthday but as an accountant I do remember numbers! Mine is Sept. 10th. and my younger son is Sept. 8th. like you. Funnily enough my late father was Sept. 9th. How about that. As far as the names on your swimming pic. I think I know some. Top row 2nd from left Malc Foley, 5th. along(next to you) A. Moss (there's history there!). 6th. along Polanski? 7th. along BT Rogers, Front row far right IC Rogers.
I remember Hepton (Chemistry) ....... Edited ........... by moderator. I was in the second intake to the school first 4D then 3D Len Boyd and Ivor Sheppard were in the same class, Teacher I liked best was Mr Field from Crewe (English} Reinsteain I hated. Davies (geog) was OK> I remember Mercurio (biology) ....... Edited by moderator.......I started sea cadets at the school TS Vernon

Norman Geraghty

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been locked for moderation. Viv.

Edit, now reopened.

Last edited:
Welcome Norman. Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

As a newcomer to our forum, you may not be aware that it is our policy on BHF to remove serious accusations about named persons or teachers etc. This is to protect any named person, whether rightly or wrongly accused, their family and friends, and the good name of BHF. This is why your post has been edited.

I’d like to point you in the direction of our forum rules, particularly rule 1. These may also be of interest to any other members who haven’t seen them.

Viv.

I used to go over to the Boys' School for orchestra practise! Mr. Lee was very good. In my time there was a Mr. Ingamells at the Girls' School but he taught French? When my son was there one of the masters had a large signet ring and if there was a problem he used to knock on the top of the head with it!!!
rosie.
Have just come across this thread! Rosie I remember Mr Ingamells - yes he was a French teacher, remember him well. What years were you at Lordswood? I was there from 1960-67.

Rose Cottage, I'm a few years younger, but I expect our paths crossed! It was a good school compared to some of the experiences posted about other schools!
rosie.

Back