• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Who was the guy who was a very good amateur boxer and won quite a few trophy's etc
Not sure, could have been Martin Stenzel (probably not spelt it right) he was a big guy he played in the rugby team and certainly had the right build for a boxer
Keith Harrison

This was a little fellow. Harkness made a point of congratulating him one morning in assembly for winning some boxing championship

By the way does anyone remember the Swimming Galas at Kent Street Baths, now reduced to rubble and a car park

By the way does anyone remember the Swimming Galas at Kent Street Baths, now reduced to rubble and a car park
No, I only remember Harborne baths on Lordswood Rd. Looking at Google maps it looks like there are still some baths and a fitness centre there.

I’m new to this forum, and was at Lordswood from 63 to 70 in Telford house. I can remember the teachers names previously mentioned and wondered if anyone is n here I may remember. My name is John Sullivan. I was into sports ans swam for the school as well as Rugby and Athletics in the Long and triple jump. Would be great to make contact with someone from that era.
Not quite your era, but I was Telford House Vice Captain with Paul Latcham as Captain during your early time at school.

Last edited:
No, I only remember Harborne baths on Lordswood Rd. Looking at Google maps it looks like there are still some baths and a fitness centre there.
Cannot remember which was which, but think Harborne was the one with the changing “cubicles” around the pool, so if you dropped your clothes they got soaked !!!!

does anyone else remember Tony Hale, the English teacher and musician. While he was at Lordswood he was a sales rep. for the Melotron which was the instrument that gave the Moody Blues, King Crimson and others their string ensemble sound.
I left Lordswood in 68 and in 73 joined the BBC in Manchester as a sound techy. In 75 guess who turned up as a radio producer in Manchester, yes Tony hale. I went on to work with him on various recordings including a pop quiz called "Quiz Kid" which ran for 3 years with Alan "Fluff" Freeman as the host. He left the Beeb in the late 80s (?) and went to London and the last I heard he was living near Canary Wharf.
"Popeye" Mason played the organ at assembly.
Colin Lee was our music teacher and bored the pants off us trying to instill musical fervour and understanding by playing Britten's "War Requiem". It's taken me 50 years to appreciate it. If only he'd used a couple of lighter examples.
"Froggy" Hepton and Mr Rhodes taught us Chemistry, Harrington TD, McCourt Geography, Mr Abel German ( I won prizes in Deutsch but now live in France!) We had Mr George for metalwork and Fletcher for WW.
We also had the mad professor, Mr. Woods for physics. He was ex-RAF and constructed a 27mHz valve transmitter on a plank. It was one of the most dangerous pieces of kit I've ever seen and he used it to demonstrate how varying the length of conductors coud change the frequency of oscillation, as shown on an oscilloscope. The 'scope probe didn't even have to be connected to the kit to show the frequency changing, such was the output power of this mad "experiment". A short fluorescent tube held near it showed when it went into oscillation!
Does anyone remember a guy a couple of years senior to me called Benge or Benj? He made flying model aircraft who's fuel was known as Benj's brew? I think he built a flying model Lancaster which he flew from the playground over the fields.
I also remember Alan Hunt, who threw a javelin over 200'. Gil Jones and Uggy White were our PE teachers and I ran a leg in the Kings Norton road relay with GJ pacing me through Alvechurch! We won it that year. Colin Price was a memorable athlete from that time. I think he went into the Police, as did Pete Bissell.
Happy Days
I remember Tony Hale very well. He was our form master in L & U6A. He took us for English A level (together with Merv Minovi). He was a really decent man and would go out of his way to chat informally and particularly about music and football (he was an Arsenal fan). Thanks for the info.

The school is getting knocked down and there is an 'open day' on Sunday 1 March if anyone wants a last look around before the bulldozers set about their business ...

Just found this forum ... I was there from 1965-73 (resat my O Levels ;-) ) and have seen that the school is going to be demolished and there is an 'Open Day' on 1 March if anyone wants a final look around ...

I was in 1S and in Bessemer House which had blue as the House Colour. I think Stephenson House was red, Faraday House green and Telford House colour was yellow. Even though I disliked school I stayed on to repeat O Levels in form 6O 1966-67 but did virtually nothing. Silly boy! With me in 6O was George Foley, who later became a PE teacher at Lordswood, Colin Wooton, Steve Skidmore, Adrian Bolton. Anyone remember the fights in the playground? A fight would start and people used to shout 'SCRAP'. It didn't happen very often and was no big deal in those days. I was a teacher for 29 years and when students asked me about my schooldays I used to tell them about throwing snowballs, having ice slides in the playgrounds and schools staying open in the 1962/63 winter. At Lordswood one winter I remember a lad throwing a snowball at one of the staff, something rare in those days, and the teacher pushed him down the snow covered bank onto the playing fields. The lad looked like a snowman but it was laughed off by everyone! My modern day students thought all this was wonderful.
A good few years ago now my brother (who did not go to Lordswood but I did) introduced me to George Foley (I knew of him as one of the older boys when I was there but would not have recognised him) at the Cadbury's Club in Bourneville on the basis of the Lordswood connexion. Early on we were talking about teachers we knew and I went off on one about Ugy/Huggy White and what a disgrace he was as a teacher etc. etc. and George let me go on before calmly announcing how Ugy had been Best Man at his wedding ... oooops
BTW I have just found this forum ... I was there from 1965-73 (resat my O Levels in 6 O ;-) ) and have seen that the school is going to be demolished and there is an 'Open Day' on 1 March if anyone wants a final look around ...

There are a number of interesting comments recently that have prompted various different memories.

When I was at the school, the swimming gala was held at Woodcock Street baths in Gosta Green. The school mainly used the Harborne baths at the far end of Lordswood Road as its main baths, but Woodcock Street was bigger (a length was 33 yards compared, I think, to 25 yards) with lots of seating for spectators, so was used once a year. I swam there in the freestyle and the backstroke.

I remember Harkness congratulating the boxer in assembly. Was his name Halford?

Does anyone remember Nobby Sutton who played for Villa reserves and then went on to play for Cardiff then manage Cardiff then Wrexham? He was a great cross country runner also. He also crocked Summers the English teacher in a teachers v lads match.

Or Greg Conyers who was in the Albion youth set up when he was doing his A levels?

Regarding Geoff Brown, he was in the year above me but he and his mates in the upper sixth had the same common room as me (the upstairs lecture theatre) when I was in the lower sixth. He could bash out a brilliant 'Nut Rocker' on the piano. I remember when the Stones first album came out and Geoff and his mates (like all of us) were mesmerised by some of the tracks when they had them playing in the common room.

Finally for now, it's interesting to see that people from Lordswood are now living in Malvern and Hampshire. I lived in one for eight years and have lived in the other for over 35 years!

I was in the same class as Geoff Brown and Richi Parnell, there was a 3rd guy who was always knocking about with them his name was Kalsi(,can’t remember his Christian name) Geoff and Richi started up the group in the 5th year if I remember right. Other guys in the class were, Brian Rogers, Dave Cherry, Geoff Tim’s (mad on Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley) Micky Thomas( went to see EddIe Cockran with him at B’ham Hippodrome) Malcolm Aklin , Phelps (can’t remember Christian name) he was a very good athlete. I played rugby, cricket and basketball for the school and threw the javelin in the athletic team. Johny Flowers was a very good friend, not in my class but lived quite close to me in Northfield.
I left in the lower 6th, Mr Davies (Geography)tried to talk me into staying on but I wouldn’t listen, a decision I have regretted for the rest of my life. I could rabbit on all night but I won’t, hope I’ve jogged a few memories.
Keith Harrison
Hi Keith
I was in the same classes with you and others you mention. My path was 1A,2A,3A,4T1,5T1 and 6th form Science/Maths. Was that L6S and U6S? I seem to remember Geof Timms had a 'disagreement' with Sawyer (physics teacher) which didn't end well for Geof.
I played cricket and badminton for the school.
Sudarsan (spelling?) Kalsi I think lives in Vancouver and has changed his name (cultural reasons I gather).
Have any of the form or team photos? I lost mine in a house move!
Phil Neath

Hi Phil
Sorry for the delay, I have been away and did not have my log in info.
How did you manage to remember my “addiction” to brown sauce and visiting my mom.
And yes I still love it, especially with cottage pie. Need comfort food in my dotage.
Tech teacher-Mr Harrington.
I went off to Surrey University doing Structural Engineering. Worked for numerous Consultants with a couple of overseas secondments (Nigeria, UAE, Cyprus). Retired 3 times and now permanently. Spend time now building old Triumph motorcycles and abroad part of the time, where my wife and I volunteer at a Film festival and Modernism Week (Architectural Tours around the town), working on merchandising. As you say who wants Tax returns.
You still in Brum ?
We are now in Hampshire.
Cheers
J
Hi John
We're getting more info from the original intake, for a while I was the only one. Keith Harrison is now posting as well. I don't know how memory works but your liking for HP sauce has always been there not recently dredged up. The posts help to clear some of the cobwebs.
You mentioned Paul Latchem, he was my badminton partner.
We managed to have a school team without any staff involvement. I think it was Pete Dawes and Rich Gledhill (?) in the year above us who started that. We were only second to Kings Heath who had Paul Whetnall (later internalional and Canadian national coach), a bit good. We even had a mixed team with the Lordswood girls. My partner was Madeline Hession. Megan Woods also played, went out with her for a while.
I'm in York and still mainly involved in photography. Have you any if the form photos?
I'll stop now and post more soon, now that I'm getting 2 step verification emails again!
Cheers
Phil

Cannot remember which was which, but think Harborne was the one with the changing “cubicles” around the pool, so if you dropped your clothes they got soaked !!!!
I remember Harborne baths with the cubicles! The wet floor and having to share since there weren't enough!!! Wasn't the dentist next to or very near? Fillings with slow drills and no pain relief! Those were the days!!
Phil

Hi Keith
I was in the same classes with you and others you mention. My path was 1A,2A,3A,4T1,5T1 and 6th form Science/Maths. Was that L6S and U6S? I seem to remember Geof Timms had a 'disagreement' with Sawyer (physics teacher) which didn't end well for Geof.
I played cricket and badminton for the school.
Sudarsan (spelling?) Kalsi I think lives in Vancouver and has changed his name (cultural reasons I gather).
Have any of the form or team photos? I lost mine in a house move!
Phil Neath
[/QUOTE

Hi Phil
Sorry not to have replied before now but I have only just picked up your message. I have managed to dig out a form photo of 5T1 and a shot of the basketball team , will try to post them in the next day or so. Did you say you are living in York ?, I am in Ilkley, not so far away, maybe we could meet up sometime. I have just had a letter from Terry Shipp who’s name rings a bell but I can’t put a face to it. Perhaps when I post the photos he will be able to jog my memory.
Keith H

Here are a couple of photos that I've managed to find that might generate a good laugh. How about those quiffs? I'm the guy holding the basketball. I can recognise Geoff Brown, John Flowers (with whom I'm still in touch), Brian Rogers and ?Phelps on the basketball team and also Kalsi, Dave Cherry, Geoff Timms and Richi Pannell on the form photo with the woodwork master, Caldicott. Can anyone name any of the others?

Attachments

• Lordswood 5T1 BB.jpg
    Lordswood 5T1 BB.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Lordswood 5T1.jpg
    Lordswood 5T1.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 143
Here are a couple of photos that I've managed to find that might generate a good laugh. How about those quiffs? I'm the guy holding the basketball. I can recognise Geoff Brown, John Flowers (with whom I'm still in touch), Brian Rogers and ?Phelps on the basketball team and also Kalsi, Dave Cherry, Geoff Timms and Richi Pannell on the form photo with the woodwork master, Caldicott. Can anyone name any of the others?
Excellent, thanks Keith. I'm directly in front of you in the form photo. Faces are vaguely familiar some more so than others but not many names that I'm sure of. Paul Latcham is extreme right 2nd row down. Geoff Brown, Rich Pannell, Sudarshan Kalsi, Geoff Timms,? Phelps and yourself I recognise. I could guess at a few more but I'll wait for others to say first, such as Coleman, Archer, Alan Betts, John Horton, Harris.
Meeting over a pint and finding out just how much we (I) can remember sounds a good idea.
Phil

The headmaster, Derek Harkness, lived in Knightlow Road and his son attended the school.

I was at George Dixon school in City Road, and Headmaster Mr Harkness' son James (Jim) was in the same form as me. I don't know if he had any brothers, but he did say his father didn't want him at his school because teacher's children could get bullied because of their parents' positions.

Back