• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lordswood Boys' Technical School

Hi All. New blood here having come across the forum more by accident than design. I am Colin Hobson and was there from 61-68. Looking at the photo of form 5a on a previous post, I am 2nd from the left along the back row in the days when I had hair! Faces are familiar but names escape me with a few exceptions. On my left is Keith Piper but the names of everyone else along the row eludes me. Middle row finds Steve Williams on the left, and Jas Singh in the middle and Mr. Fletcher at the far end. I never did know his christian name. Front row is a little easier with Alan Preece, (Hi Al! ) Neil Burr, Derek Vale, Keith Jones, Tom (Tommy) Yates (Hi Tom!), Pete(?) Coggins, Bob Jones, 'PTH' Jones, and that's it. Good to here from some of you and read lots of memory joggers. There were a number of us who went on a trip to Switzerland in 64 ably looked after by Mr Fletcher and his wife. I thought a couple of photos might be amusing. Thats all for now
Colin - I think I can add a few more names for you. Being a 5 Alpha member, I knew some but not all of the 5A form. Centre of back row is Ray Powell. On 2nd row next to Steve Williams is Chris Smith and then Bill Saunders. Second from right is Ray Brassington. Hope that helps fill some gaps. I knew Jas Singh from early days in the first year {1S} and have often wondered if he ever achieved his ambition of becoming a Doctor.

Hi Roger. Thanks for that. I was looking over the phots of the Upper 6th looking for Bob Lee. I recall one Christmas a few of us were charged with collecting the Christmas tree for the assembly hall. Bob was one of the oldest member in the year and had is own car, an Austin Cambridge as I recollect. We picked this thing up from somewhere I don't remember, and loaded it onto the roof, with the top branched draped down the windscreen and bonnet. Somehow we managed to get it back to the school, probably more by luck than judgement. Health and Safety eh! Referring back to the posts regarding the playing fields, I recall when I first went to look round the school before the start of the 1961 year, we were told that the field would be ready to use by that September. I think they were still pulling stones out of the ground when I left in1968! Happy days!

I was at Lordswood 1985-1992, from memory the mural was created somewhere around my second or third year, so 1987-88 ish. There was a BBC documentary about the school in the early 2000's, and i seem to recall the mural was still present then.
Thanks for the heads-up about a BBC documentary about Lordswood Boys. I searched the BBC Genome (searchable database of Radio Times listings) for "lordswood". Only finding was the Peter Powell show on BBC Radio 1 (not TV), first broadcast 5nov80 at 16:32. States "with Paul Burnett from Lordswood Boys School"- wonder what that was about?? Could be though that the (TV) programme you saw did not mention the school by name in the RT.

Thank you to BillBrum, Geoff Broughton and others for kindly posting the staff photo and suggesting names and subjects. If it might help, a couple of us who were at Lordswood from 1970-77 have annotated the photo and updated the list. We would agree mid-seventies perhaps a little earlier ’73-75. Best efforts, may be mistakes.
Standing left to right:
1 man 2 Ken Woods - Physics 3 John Koppel - Science 4 Margaret Crossland – English 5 John Enefer - English & Library 6 Steve Austin - History 7 Clive White - Technical Drawing 8 man 9 Griffiths – Metalwork, Technical Drawing 10 man 11 Mytton 12 George Foley - PE 13 Sid Hart - Woodwork 14 Ron Walker 15 Mike Rhodes - Science 16 woman 17 Brenda Havercraft - Biology 18 Long - German 19 man 20 Derek Hepton - Chemistry 21 Harrington - Technical Drawing 22 Peter Pooley - RE 23 John(?) Reid - English and Deputy Head 24 John Beale - Biology 25 Frank Kirby - Maths, Accounts, Business Studies 26 Gilbert Jones – PE and Deputy Head
Sitting left to right:
27 woman 28 man 29 Terry Midworth - Maths 30 Dai George - Metalwork 31 Hans Rheinstein 32 Tim Evans - English 33 Ralph Husson - History 34 Geoff Sharrat - Geography / Geology 35 Dodgson - German 36 Betts - Metalwork 37 Chris Lee - Music 38 woman 39 man - Music 40 Helen Minovi - German? French 41 Irwen Hobbs - Art 42 Janet Morgan - Lab Technician 43 Richard Williams - Physics 44 Heath - Caretaker 45 woman - Secretary 46 woman - Secretary

Lordswood staff photo 23Jun23.jpg

I wish there was an easy way to annotate the photo. I recongnise the names mentioned by Tommycol above but can't picture them. This may be the hot summer of 1976. Can anyone fill in the blanks?

Back Row left to right everyone standing
1 ginger hair, 2 - Physics dixie bow, 3 man, 4 Margaret Crossland – English, 5 man, 6 man, 7 man, 8 man, 9 - woodwork, 10 hidden, 11 man hidden, 12 Frank Kirby – b/w tie Maths, Accounts and Business Studies, 13 Stephen Foley - PE, 14 man, 15 man, 16 Mr Rhodes, 17 woman, 18 woman, 19 man, 20 man, 21 Mr Heyton (Froggy) - chemistry, 22 Mr Harrington (Kojak) - TD, 23 man, 24 man, 25 man, 26 man, 27 grey jacket – metal work.

Front Row left to right everyone sitting
1 woman, 2, 3 Terry Minworth – Maths, 4 Mr George – Metalwork, 5 man, 6 Dr Evans – English, 7 Ralph Hussan – History, 8 Geoff Sharrett ? – Geography / Geology, 9 man, 10, 11 Mr Copple (Biffo) – Physics, 12 woman, 13 beard - Music, 14 woman, 15 man, 16 woman, 17 man, 18 man, 19 woman, 20 woman

Where are these teachers? Mr Beale, Mr Castell – English, Mr Colson - Chemistry, Paul Curzon - Maths (joined later?), Mr Dodgson - German, Trevor Griffiths - Woodwork, Jean Hall (joined later), Miss Havercroft - Biology, Gilbert Jones – Deputy Head, Herr Long - German, Helen Minovi - French, Mr Monte (eh!), Mr Poole – RE, Mr Shippley - Biology (joined later), Mrs Symonds - German, Colin Summerville – Geography / Geology, Mr Seymour, Jock Thompson – Maths, David Thornton – Maths, Warring – German, John (Huggy) White – Rugby teacher, Mr Rheinstein - Maths, Mr Read - deputy head, where's the head teacher.
Hi Geoff, Thank you for your inspiration, we have managed to take your super memory a bit further and annotate the picture, please see post 304.

Hi All
I have also just come across this thread and I attended LBTGS during 1974 -1979 and was in Farrady (green band). Like many other comments it's brought back many memories especially the letter from the Headmaster to parents setting out the school requirements and subjects. I to remember Helen Minovi (lovely), Miss Vigart (German), Mr Reinstein and Mr Kirby (pink Jag), (Maths), George Foley (the Pump) PE, Mr George (Metalwork), Mr Hart and Griffiths (Woodwork), Mr Harrington (TD), Mr Beale (the Pump) Biology, Mr John Cople (Physics) Mr Derek Froggy Hepton always in a green suit (Chemistry), Miss Margaret Crossland (English), Mr Lee (Music), Janet Croft (Science Prep), Miss Susan Whitehead (geography), Mr Jones (swimming). I remember the Harborne Swimming baths and the swimming galas. I also remember the same dentist close by without anaesthetic. The pub we skived to was the Kings Head on the corner of Lordswood Road and Hagley Road. I caught No 11 bus from Handsworth Wood/Harborne and my mate the No 9 to Quinton. There was also a teacher who had long curly hair and always walked if they were falling farwards, English I think. I also remember a good looking lady teacher who taught art/pottery. She was always hanging out with the older art teacher and I thought there was a relationship going on between them.
Looking back I wish I'd tried harder at school.
The surnames I recall are Bell, Bicknell, Clark, Davidson, Evans, Fernandez, Griffiths, Jones, Knott, Lawson, Leeson, McNamara, Neil, Tierney, Vincent, Wilkes, Woodhall. We had to queue alphabetically for the school dinner and if you had a surname beginning with 'W' and your house was last in turn there was virtually nothing left. Another memory was during woodwork I'd planed of to much material and Mr Hart sent me to Mr George to get the 'putting back on plane' much amusement to everyone. Does anybody recall the RE teacher who taught very little RE but mostly gave sex education lessons. I also remember John Cople catching me out with a gentlemans magazine in my bag after a search. It was parents evening that day and was worried sick someone would tell my parents. Another story, someone put a leaping frog on Derek Heptons desk whilst he was writing on the blackboard. He turned round and the frog leapt into the air right in front of him. He immediately turned his attention to the one who was laughing the most.
fond memories
andrew woodhall
You are thinking of Miss Tracey( English and.Art) I think...a teenage boys dream teacher haha. I was there from 1977 to 1984.

Here's the observatory in 1963 - from the school magazine - the Astronomical Society, and the observatory doesn't seem to get a mention in my magazines after 1964.....
Just reading through the old posts I came across one about the observatory at LBTS. When I joined in 1963 it had no telescope but years later I was involved with a group of enthusiasts involved in building the telescope. One of the chaps ground the 12" mirror that took him a long time to do and I remember being involved in setting up the test equipment to carry out a Foucault knife edge test of the mirror curvature. Unfortunately, because the mirror was a bit hot on the day, someone decided to put it under a cold tap to cool it down which, to our horror, resulted in a crack propagating across it and ruining it. Fortunately, we found another 12" blank in a drawer in the Physics Lab which also happened to be a Pyrex one and so the mirror was ground again. I vaguely remember finishing the telescope, maybe about 1968, but one of the problems in installing it was that the observatory dome was so high off the ground, we had to install the telescope on top of a tall concrete pillar that made looking though the eyepiece a little difficult. I don't ever remember using the telescope but I was somewhat handicapped by living on the other side of Birmingham!

I was also interested in seeing the photo of the teachers from the 1960/1970's. Being in the RC denomination, we had our own morning service at the top part of the assembly hall behind a closed partition before it was opened so we could hear what the headmaster had to say. I'm terrible with names but I vaguely remember it was the Head of TD who took our service each morning although I'm not sure whether that was Mr Harrington although he looks familiar. This particular person was always trying to get us to spend weekends at the Jesuit Retreat in Harborne, presumably for our spiritual welfare, but I managed to avoid the pleasure especially as I was not really a true believer!

Just reading through the old posts I came across one about the observatory at LBTS. When I joined in 1963 it had no telescope but years later I was involved with a group of enthusiasts involved in building the telescope. One of the chaps ground the 12" mirror that took him a long time to do and I remember being involved in setting up the test equipment to carry out a Foucault knife edge test of the mirror curvature. Unfortunately, because the mirror was a bit hot on the day, someone decided to put it under a cold tap to cool it down which, to our horror, resulted in a crack propagating across it and ruining it. Fortunately, we found another 12" blank in a drawer in the Physics Lab which also happened to be a Pyrex one and so the mirror was ground again. I vaguely remember finishing the telescope, maybe about 1968, but one of the problems in installing it was that the observatory dome was so high off the ground, we had to install the telescope on top of a tall concrete pillar that made looking though the eyepiece a little difficult. I don't ever remember using the telescope but I was somewhat handicapped by living on the other side of Birmingham!

I was also interested in seeing the photo of the teachers from the 1960/1970's. Being in the RC denomination, we had our own morning service at the top part of the assembly hall behind a closed partition before it was opened so we could hear what the headmaster had to say. I'm terrible with names but I vaguely remember it was the Head of TD who took our service each morning although I'm not sure whether that was Mr Harrington although he looks familiar. This particular person was always trying to get us to spend weekends at the Jesuit Retreat in Harborne, presumably for our spiritual welfare, but I managed to avoid the pleasure especially as I was not really a true believer!
I joined the Astronomical Society when I first started at Lordswood in 1960 but constructionally, things happened so slowly, I lost interest in the project. I did find the attached though in a scan of the September 1969 school magazine - see post 263. I presume the observatory was demolished in the recent school rebuilding?

It was Mr Harrington, head of TD, who lead most of the RC morning services. He also hosted the school Model Aero Club of which I was a member.

Attachments

• Lordswood Sep 69 Magazine - Observatory.jpg
    Lordswood Sep 69 Magazine - Observatory.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 22
It's good to know my 50+ year old memory was reasonably spot on. Fortunately, I don't recognise any of the names mentioned in the magazine but I still remember one of the team putting the original mirror under the tap and cracking it! I was keen on Astronomy when I went to LBTS and was always intrigued as to why someone had gone to the trouble of building the Observatory and then not fitting it out with a telescope. It would certainly be interesting to see a picture of the telescope that I played a hand in building?

Hi everyone,I was at lordswood in 1963 for 3 years after passing my 13 plus at Camden St school,just wondered if anyone remembers me (Cliff Poultney), I remember Mr Hepton the chemistry teacher I believe and definitely Mr Betts metalwork ,I think his son was at this school
Cheers Cliff

I also went to LBTS in 1963 after just scraping through my 11-plus! Did you really mean 13+ exam rather than 11+ exam as I thought only the public school system had a 13+ entrance exam? If you entered in the 3rd year, I definitely won't remember you but if you entered in the 1st year, there's a very slim chance I might? Whichever was the case, do you remember which House you were in and therefore which class you first went into (1B, 1F, !S, 1T or 3B, 3F, 3S or 3T)?

Hi everyone,I was at lordswood in 1963 for 3 years after passing my 13 plus at Camden St school,just wondered if anyone remembers me (Cliff Poultney), I remember Mr Hepton the chemistry teacher I believe and definitely Mr Betts metalwork ,I think his son was at this school
Cheers Cliff
I think if you entered in 1963 after passing the 13 Plus, you must have been in the same year as me (Roger Parker). I started in 1961 after passing the 11 Plus. In my third year I was in Form 3A with Mr Fletcher as Form Master. I was in Stephenson house.

I remember Mr Betts very well, including his mythical dog that could out compete any student when it came to metalwork. (Certainly true in my case!). Also Mr Hepton, although I was never taught by him - I actually went on to study chemistry at university which was entirely due to the influence of Mr Rhodes, a brilliant teacher.

I also went to LBTS in 1963 after just scraping through my 11-plus! Did you really mean 13+ exam rather than 11+ exam as I thought only the public school system had a 13+ entrance exam? If you entered in the 3rd year, I definitely won't remember you but if you entered in the 1st year, there's a very slim chance I might? Whichever was the case, do you remember which House you were in and therefore which class you first went into (1B, 1F, !S, 1T or 3B, 3F, 3S or 3T)?
I recall there being a 13 Plus in the state sector. I think it was to recognise that some children were not ready for a big exam at 11 so it provided a second chance at 13.

I was in Stephenson House but in Form 1J and then 2J, so the classes weren't based on house names but I can't recall what they were based on. Someone else might remember.

I thought the classes were numbered after the house initials - I've still got a piece of pottery which I scrawled 2B into because in the 2nd year (1964) I was in class 2B and in Bessemer House?

I thought the classes were numbered after the house initials - I've still got a piece of pottery which I scrawled 2B into because in the 2nd year (1964) I was in class 2B and in Bessemer House?
I can only add my two penny worth based what was happening in 1961 - my first year at Lordswood.
The forms 1N, 1F, 1J and 1S were based on age groups - the eldest of the year 1N and the youngest 1S. I believe the groups were split on 3 months of birth dates basis. My own form, 1S, were the youngest and me the youngest of that form just scraping into the academic year by one day with birthday on August 30.
At the third year, classes were then split on academic grounds - 3A and 3Alpha being the top streams followed by 3B and 3 Beta.
The allocation of houses, Telford, Faraday, Stephenson and Bessemer was purely a share out across the year and not related to forms or age.
I also entered Lordswood from Camden St School, but at 11 - not sure if our paths crossed Cliff Poultney?

I can only add my two penny worth based what was happening in 1961 - my first year at Lordswood.
The forms 1N, 1F, 1J and 1S were based on age groups - the eldest of the year 1N and the youngest 1S. I believe the groups were split on 3 months of birth dates basis. My own form, 1S, were the youngest and me the youngest of that form just scraping into the academic year by one day with birthday on August 30.
At the third year, classes were then split on academic grounds - 3A and 3Alpha being the top streams followed by 3B and 3 Beta.
The allocation of houses, Telford, Faraday, Stephenson and Bessemer was purely a share out across the year and not related to forms or age.
I also entered Lordswood from Camden St School, but at 11 - not sure if our paths crossed Cliff Poultney?
Well remembered, Roger! You were in the same year as me (Roger Parker). I also started in 1961, aged 11, but in 1J. (Then 2J, 3A, 4A, 5A, L6Sci and finally U6Sci).

What do you think the abbreviations N, F, J and S stood for? Do they stand for months of the year and mark quarters of the year in some way?

In my time (1960-67) for my first three years the classes were labelled N, F, J, S - grouped oldest to youngest as Roger says - I never did quite work it out but I thought N covered those with birthdays in Sep/Oct/Nov - F covered Dec/Jan/Feb - J seemed to cover only Mar/Apr - and my stream S covered May/Jun/Jul/Aug - I've no idea why the letters J and S were used. For the 1963 intake the labels changed to B, F, S, T - i.e. grouped by houses Bessemer, Faraday, Stephenson and Telford.

Well they do say every day is a school day - I didn't know or remember the change to Houses being the suffix for form years!
I agree with Malvernian re the odd date breakdowns.

Hi there Roger P - hope you are well.

I've just dug out the annual speech day programme for LBTS which I have dating from 1964 to1970. Interestingly, when I joined in 1963, the 1st year classes were numbered 1B, 1F, 1S & 1T but the 2nd year classes were numbered 2N, 2F, 2J & 2S - they gave out form prizes for the first 2 years and so gave the class numbers in the programme. Unfortunately, I don't have the 1965 programme but I'm pretty sure we went into 2B, 2F, 2S & 2T in the second year (my bit of pottery backs that up) and probably 3B, 3F, 3S & 3T in the 3rd year but, by 1966, the N, F, J & S system seemed to have been adopted for both years. I guess, it's possible the Headmaster was trying a new House based numbering scheme in the year I joined but abandoned it the following year for the new intake!

Last edited:
Hi just found this site ,it's so good to read so much about Lordswood,not sure if anyone remembers me Cliff Poultney,I joined around 1961 coming on via 13 plus route ,to thick to get in at 11plus ,ha ha , really enjoyed my time them some great mates although because I travelled on 2 buses 96 Lodge Rd and 11 outer circle mist of my pales were from harborne Quinton etc , like ver the rugby played in the firsts ang enjoyed metalwork with good old Mr Betts ,went on a few trips with the dreaded Hepton (chemistry),who was handy with the rubber Bunsen burner tube ,I was in Stephenson house , remember Geoff Brown and his band at the dances ,does anyone remember me , Cheers Cliff

I believe I scraped through the 11-plus solely because my birthday was in April and I got extra points due to my relatively young age. I suspect I travelled further to school than anyone else in its history having to take the No. 11 Outer Circle bus all the way round from Kings Heath! Despite that, I had to walk home at least a couple of times while at school when the dreaded pea soup fogs hit and stopped all the buses from running!

I've just dug out the annual speech day programme for LBTS which I have dating from 1964 to1970. Interestingly, when I joined in 1963, the 1st year classes were numbered 1B, 1F, 1S & 1T but the 2nd year classes were numbered 2N, 2F, 2J & 2S - they gave out form prizes for the first 2 years and so gave the class numbers in the programme. Unfortunately, I don't have the 1965 programme but I'm pretty sure we went into 2B, 2F, 2S & 2T in the second year (my bit of pottery backs that up) and probably 3B, 3F, 3S & 3T in the 3rd year but, by 1966, the N, F, J & S system seemed to have been adopted for both years. I guess, it's possible the Headmaster was trying a new House based numbering scheme in the year I joined but abandoned it the following year for the new intake!
One method used and this might apply all those years ago is that one of the years will have a split month, i.e first half of February for form J, second half of February for form F. I've seen this used in some modern Comprehensives, although like Lordswood in those days, Comprehensives actually 'stream' going into year 10 (fourth year in those days) and unlike Lordswood even some GCSE's are 'streamed' by ability these days with three levels of exam paper. Hardly the Comprehensive 'ideal' from the 1970s. I often wonder how I managed to be put into 3Alpha. All I ever did was read motorcycle magazines! I thought mathematical tables were furniture. (one-liner from the 70s). I never made head boy either nor was I invited to open the 'new' Lordswood the other year. I cannot understand it!!

I can't really remember but I thought we were streamed at LBTS when we got into the fourth year when we started to study for our O-levels, or am I a year out and we were streamed starting in the 3rd year? For reasons I could never work out, I was put into 4A and then 5A (and, perhaps, 3A). Ironically, I also spent most of my time thinking about motorcycles (still my main passion in life). Despite showing absolutely no academic potential at the time, I can still remember phoning the Headmaster Mr Harkness after getting my diabolical O-level results (I even failed English) and being amazed when he said there would be no problem me doing Physics, Pure Maths, Applied Maths and Engineering Drawing at A-Level! I didn't really believe him at the time but it turned out he was right!

I was in form 3A in 1963 which suggests that streaming started in the third year. Then I went into 4A and 5A before going into L6Sci and then U6Sci. I don't recall Engineering Drawing being an option at A-Level but I did it for O-Level. At A-Level, I did Maths, Physics and Chemistry, then went on to uni to study Chemistry.

I'm sure you are right about streaming in the 3rd year and assume I also went into L6Sci and U6Sci. I vaguely remember there being at least 3 separate forms in each 6th form year but can't remember what they were called? I also vaguely remember that we had to do 3 main A-level subjects plus an extra one of our choice which, in my case, was Engineering Drawing. That was because Technical Drawing, as it was called at O-level, was probably the only subject I studied that I was good at which is why I did it at A-level.

Despite an early lack of academic potential, I was quite good at Art & Pottery and in my 1st year I won the Prize for Art that came as a big surprise. When you won a prize at that time, you were able to choose a book up to a certain value and I vaguely remember ordering a very good text book on Technical Drawing. On the night of prize giving, they called out your name and you had to walk on stage past all the teachers to be handed your prize. Instead of the lovely book I was expecting, I was handed instead a small red copy of the 'The Thirty-nine Steps' by John Buchan which they had substituted as the other book was apparently out of stock! Talk about being disappointed!

That's a shame about your school prize. They could have given you a certificate and presented you with the book at a later date when it was back in stock. I won a few prizes while I was there, but I was fortunate to choose books that were available! The last prize I won was when I was in the Upper Sixth, and Speech Day didn't take place until December, by which time I'd left and was at university, but I went back to collect the prize. That was the last time I went into the school.

Now you mention it, yes, it was Technical Drawing that I did at O-Level. I enjoyed that and I think the teacher was a Mr Harrington.

Another suffix used in the 6th Form was "M" (L6M and U6M) which presumably stood for Maths and was for those in the double Maths class, such as you. I think the third suffix was "A" for Arts and Humanities.

Apart from General Studies, I didn't do any subjects other than Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A-Level. Actually, I don't recall attending any lessons for General Studies and I missed the exam as I was ill that day and off school.

Thank you to BillBrum, Geoff Broughton and others for kindly posting the staff photo and suggesting names and subjects. If it might help, a couple of us who were at Lordswood from 1970-77 have annotated the photo and updated the list. We would agree mid-seventies perhaps a little earlier ’73-75. Best efforts, may be mistakes.
Standing left to right:
1 man 2 Ken Woods - Physics 3 John Koppel - Science 4 Margaret Crossland – English 5 John Enefer - English & Library 6 Steve Austin - History 7 Clive White - Technical Drawing 8 man 9 Griffiths – Metalwork, Technical Drawing 10 man 11 Mytton 12 George Foley - PE 13 Sid Hart - Woodwork 14 Ron Walker 15 Mike Rhodes - Science 16 woman 17 Brenda Havercraft - Biology 18 Long - German 19 man 20 Derek Hepton - Chemistry 21 Harrington - Technical Drawing 22 Peter Pooley - RE 23 John(?) Reid - English and Deputy Head 24 John Beale - Biology 25 Frank Kirby - Maths, Accounts, Business Studies 26 Gilbert Jones – PE and Deputy Head
Sitting left to right:
27 woman 28 man 29 Terry Midworth - Maths 30 Dai George - Metalwork 31 Hans Rheinstein 32 Tim Evans - English 33 Ralph Husson - History 34 Geoff Sharrat - Geography / Geology 35 Dodgson - German 36 Betts - Metalwork 37 Chris Lee - Music 38 woman 39 man - Music 40 Helen Minovi - German? French 41 Irwen Hobbs - Art 42 Janet Morgan - Lab Technician 43 Richard Williams - Physics 44 Heath - Caretaker 45 woman - Secretary 46 woman - Secretary

View attachment 181373
Could No27 be Jean Hall, No38 Miss Tracey or Vigart.

Standing left to right:
Sitting left to right:

View attachment 181373

Hi Geoff, Thank you for your inspiration, we have managed to take your super memory a bit further and annotate the picture, please see post 304.
Could 27 be Jean Hall and 38 Miss Tracey or Vigart

You mentioned some names in an earlier post, most likely the swimming team 3 of whom were in my class or year. It was MICHEAL Maunder, ROGER Sansom and ROD Stanley. They were all in the team the year the Gala was held in the now demolished Kent Street Baths.
Rod Stanleys father owned the ironmongers in Bearwood High Street. Ron Vercesi left very early and went to work in Hepworth in Birmingham and then joined the Navy, he now lives in Cornwall.

Its a very great sadness to me that virtually none of the guys I was in the D/T stream with, 59 onwards, seem to be on here now, although Taylor did acknowledge one of my posts. It doesn’t seem that long ago that 50% of my class were on Friends Reunited! My parents always told me that school would be the happiest days of my life, sadly at the time I didn’t believe them!

looking for John Dean, Vic Turner, Philip Stanier, Dave Lipett. Cotterill ( C stream). Kilminster, Roger Keyes. Rod Thompson
Sorry for your loss of your Dad at School. It brought back a memory I had of a lad whose father passed away on Boxing Day, I may recall it being mentioned in the Lab Tech's room. Let me know if it was yourself.

Back