• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lord Mayor Brooks

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking for information about the Lord Mayor's involvement in a car accident in 1918, probably between March and October of that year. Wonder if anyone has access to old newspaper reports of the time? Grateful for any info or links that I could use. Many thanks. Viv.

Sorry Viv
Looked for "accident" with both "Lord Mayor" and "alderman Brooks" for 1918 in Birmingham papers and nothing relevant came up in british newspaper archives

Thanks for looking Mike. I think the whole incident was probably hushed up as my gt grandfather was hit by the Lord Mayor's car and my ggf died of his injuries a few weeks later in October 1918. The info was passed on to me by my aunt and she was certain there was some sort of cover-up afterwards. She didn't know if it had been the LM who had been driving, probably his chauffeur. Viv.

Viv
I think cover ups like that were fairly standard, and still are if they can get away with it, though that is not as easy these days

hi viv crikey what a thing..what was your gt grandfathers name...maybe mike could have a look under that for info..i wonder what was written as cause of death on his death cert as that may also help...

lyn

Back