• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lookup please

annaj

proper brummie kid
Hi - I'm trying to trace a Minne Maria Pittam, born circa 1882, probably in Aston. I'm trying to trace her family back. I can seem to find the names of a Maria Pittam who may fit the bill, but I know she was known as Min and was Minnie when she got married so not sure if this is the same person. Thanks :)

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Minnie Maria Pittam born 1873.
registered March 1873 Wellingborough Northants ref. 3b 171

1881 census

14 Stafford Road,Horninglow,Stafford
James Pittam age 38 b, bilton Wks. lab.in gas works
Maria age 40 b. Stretton on Dunsmore Wks
Arthur 15 b. Bilton
Frederick 14 b. Bilton
Eith 10 b. wellingborough
Minnie 8 b. Wellingborough
Ernest 5 b. Burton
Amy 3 b. burton
William 1 b. Burton.

This is the only Minnie Pittam found in records the one born in Northants in 1882 was registered Frances Minnie and is on the 1891 census with parents called by this name however on the 1901 she is called Minnie.

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a Maria Pittam born 1880 Birmingham,no record of her ever being called Minnie.
she is on the census at Charles Henry Street in 1901 says age 21 with parents William Thomas Pittam and Matilda.
If she married Harry Henry Scott she is on the 1911 as Maria age 31.
Marriage certificate will give fathers name and occupation,Wm thomas was a Wire drawer.

Family found on 1881 transcribed Pittman in Lower Fazeley Street.
1891 wrongly transcribed Pittore in High street ,Deritend.

Last edited:

annaj

proper brummie kid
Thanks everyone. I suspect she is the Maria from Birmingham as she did indeed marry Harry Henry Scott. She was always known as Minnie or Min and her oldest daughter was called Minnie, so that's interesting. I will order the marriage certificate :)

annaj

proper brummie kid
Hello! My Maria (who later became known as Minnie Maria) was married to Harry Henry Scott. She was my Great-Grandmother. One of her daughter's Lydai Dora May is my Nan. Is this 'your' Maria too?
Anna

UmEthaar

proper brummie kid
Hi Annaj - The Maria Cantrill (b. 1857 Birmingham) was the daughter of Charles Cantrill and his wife Maria. Charles' brother Joseph had a daughter Ellenor who married into the Pittam family which is the line I am following. I have a note that states Maria married a Mr. White although nothing to back that up. This Cantrill family were mostly cork cutters in Birmingham and Ellenor's father Joseph lived in Moor Street in the 1860/1870's. Looks as if my Maria is a generation before the one you are looking for.
UmEthaar

UmEthaar

proper brummie kid
Hi Annaj - please disregard my last posting on Maria Cantrill!!! My Maria Pittam was born in 1880 and her parents were William Thomas/Matilda. So far I have found no marriage for her but I believe her sister Gertrude married a Walter Lambeth in Birmingham in 1910. Her mother died in Birmingham in 1944. Maria had at least 8 siblings. Does any of this ring any bells.
UmEthaar

annaj

proper brummie kid
Hi UmEthaar

Yes that's my Maria too. Same parents and siblings include Gertrude. She married Harry 'Henry' Scott in Aston in 1903 (ref: Aston 6d, page 491).
Maria or Min as she later became known (she moved the Maria as apparently it was slang for the black police wagons that patrolled) lived at the family home of 88 Great Lister Street for years, where she ran the family's Hucksters shop with her husband She was a great haggler and well known for putting on her 'apron' and selling her wares down at the markets in Birmingham.
I visited her at Witton Cemetary this week, where they are both buried. Unfortunately I can't attach the census info etc as am no longer subscribed to Ancestry.
If you think this is your Maria too then that's very exciting! - I have a few photographs if you are interested!

Last edited by a moderator:

annaj

proper brummie kid
PS One of Maria's daughters, my Nan, Lydia (Born 1914) is still going strong at 97, so you may well have another relative out there too!

Beverleigh

proper brummie kid
Hi Annaj - The Maria Cantrill (b. 1857 Birmingham) was the daughter of Charles Cantrill and his wife Maria. Charles' brother Joseph had a daughter Ellenor who married into the Pittam family which is the line I am following. I have a note that states Maria married a Mr. White although nothing to back that up. This Cantrill family were mostly cork cutters in Birmingham and Ellenor's father Joseph lived in Moor Street in the 1860/1870's. Looks as if my Maria is a generation before the one you are looking for.
UmEthaar
My mother was Dagmar Pittam, born 1919. She was the daughter of Charles Pittam. When younger, she used to visit relations called Cantrill, who had a cork cutting business, where they also lived in Moor Street, Birmingham. She had memories of going down into the cellar of the building, which had a well, and a tunnel, which supposedly went to St. Martin's Church. This was believed to be haunted, and stories were told of murders being committed in this tunnel by nuns in the Middle Ages. And figures were seen walking at the old street level, which had been lowered since. Charles Pittam had a sister called Alice, and he moved to Yardley in Birmingham in 1929 and he owned an engraving business called Powells in the Jewellery Quarter. Charles Pittam was married either to an Elsie or Maude Clark(e) - there seems some family confusion as to her actual name. I hope some of this means something.

UmEthaar

proper brummie kid
Hi Beverleigh - Thank you so much for your post. Dagmar Pittam was my 2nd cousin once removed. Dagmar's grandmother was a Cantrill whose parents had the cork cutting business in Moor Street. Charles wife was in fact Emily M Clarke. Would love to hear from you - - as most of your relatives are on my family tree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beverleigh

proper brummie kid
Hi Beverleigh - Thank you so much for your post. Dagmar Pittam was my 2nd cousin once removed. Dagmar's grandmother was a Cantrill whose parents had the cork cutting business in Moor Street. Charles wife was in fact Emily M Clarke. Would love to hear from you - - as most of your relatives are on my family tree.
Thanks for the reply. I have sent you a message to the address listed, but it has come back as a failure to deliver. My aunt, Muriel Pittam did receive a letter some years ago from someone called Christine from Qatar, who was descended from the Pittams and Cantrills. I would love to have any information you have about the Pittams and Cantrills, as I have very little, and each branch of the family have different stories. Even my grandmother was known by a different name by her children, whether Maud(e), Elsie or Emily, so thank you for confirming her actual name.

UmEthaar

proper brummie kid
Hi Beverleigh - I am not sure how we can make contact by private email - maybe someone can enlighten us - as you were unable to get through to me. Can you check the address once more and try again please. I would love to share the information I have with you - your great grandfather was the brother of my great grandfather.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Click into users name,view profile, list on left hand side has send private message, click on and you are able to send a private message that cannot be viewed by any other member.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi annaj and a warm welcome to the forum..just noticed on post 9 that you have left your email address...it maybe an idea to remove it from open forum for your own security because anyone can see it and as alberta has pointed out you can get in touch with other members on the forum through our private message system...hope this is of help...

lyn