• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Turner family Tyburn Road Erdington

NIGEL TURNER

knowlegable brummie
Good evening....im hoping to trace the remainers of my family , who I believe were in the ERDINGTON area TYBURN ROAD I think it was, My Father was KENNETH FRANCIS...Grandfather was CYRIL FRANCIS one of the many brothers who if I remember were LESLIE..DONALD ..GEORGE can t remember the others...there was a picture years ago on the BIRMINGHAM POST where they were all lined up in a Boxing stance...would love to be able to piece the Family History of who I am and where from....Thank you

Good evening....im hoping to trace the remainers of my family , who I believe were in the ERDINGTON area TYBURN ROAD I think it was, My Father was KENNETH FRANCIS...Grandfather was CYRIL FRANCIS one of the many brothers who if I remember were LESLIE..DONALD ..GEORGE can t remember the others...there was a picture years ago on the BIRMINGHAM POST where they were all lined up in a Boxing stance...would love to be able to piece the Family History of who I am and where from....Thank you
Hello Nigel,
What information were you trying to find? There's all sorts of information on the Ancestry site that a lot of the members on here have access to,
Lynn.

Cyril appears to be the son of John Patrick Turner and Nellie Butler.

As well as 4 mentioned above other children John James, Arthur William, Lilian May, Gordon Patrick and Ronald Edward. Could be others.

John and Nellie are living at 3 Alleyne Grove in 1939.

WOW......Thank you so much for that Master Brummie....This really has blown me ...These names seem familiar as well.....Its a long story as I ve always wanted t o find out where and Who my family are.....I was fortunate to see some a long long time ago and that was for one day only and have never been in contact since, which has played on my mind and after certain efforts , no joy..I do remember a paper which im sure was the BIRMINGHAM POST and there was a photo of the brothers all in a boxing stance,,would love t o know where or how to obtain a copy of this , and how I would be able to obtain more about my family.....This....Has been absolutely awesome with the response....Thank you so much...

As Lynn mentioned above there is lots of information available online on ancestry sites. Even newspapers, copies are also available at the Library of Birmingham.

Cyril appears to be the son of John Patrick Turner and Nellie Butler.

As well as 4 mentioned above other children John James, Arthur William, Lilian May, Gordon Patrick and Ronald Edward. Could be others.

John and Nellie are living at 3 Alleyne Grove in 1939.
Thanks everyone for the replies to this.....so far I ve searched and am needing a possible date for JOHN PATRICK TURNER s death and area of registration....Hopefully with these, I ll be able to get a copy of his Death certificate and then be able to trace the Family.......Its awkward for me seeing I have no one to contact to try and trace..Hopefully, armed with as much info as possible , I then can go to the Library at Birmingham and see how far and as much info I can get...Thanks everyone.I do appreciate this

John P Turner death registered Bham Jun qtr 1964, age listed as 71 so corresponds with dob given on 1939 register.

If you want to trace backwards then death certificates aren't particularly useful.

I knew an Erdington Turner but I can't tell you exactly where. John Turner and his father (widower and son) lodged in the 1940s with a Mrs Rogers, a widow, and her daughter, Norah. Eventually the widower married the widow and the son the daughter. I know that John and Norah eventually moved to Coalville in Leicestershire.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris M.....As far as I know JOHN PATRICK TURNER Married a NELLIE BUTLER....and she was part of the MITCHELLS and BUTLERS Brewery....thanks to the valuable info from MWS....I ve also got an address as 3 ALLEYNE GROVE in 1939....I was hoping that I could get a Death Certificate and hopefully other info as then I can put some more names into the jigsaw so to speak....The problem I have is I live in North Wales, and naturally want to find out as much as I can about my family, intentionally coming to Birmingham Library with as much info I have, and maybe with a bit of luck....find out who I am and where my family are from....thansk again everyone, you ve all been a great help.....53 years later...im piecing up the family

Nigel,

I haven't yet found the photograph to which you refer, but this clipping from an article about a TV programme on boxing appeared in Birmingham Daily Gazette dated 12 June 1956.

Maurice :cool:

Turner_1.jpg

Nigel,

Following my previous email, I've continued to search the online newspaper archive and found nothing further, but this is because most Birmingham newspapers are only partially digitised, though more pages are added to the archive from newspapers throught the UK every month. Searching the newspapers on film in Birmingham Library could be a very lengthy process too as they are not indexed.

The programme referred to was called Paper Talk and although there have been many programmes of the same name, the 1956 programme does not appear in Radio Times and to personal researchers, you need to pay a subscription of £140 + VAT to be able to search TV Times !! The programme will not have survived due to the high cost of video tape, if indeed it was even recorded.

Nigel,

Here's the current online coverage of Birmingham-related newspapers, which were included in my searches:-

Birmingham Daily Gazette 1862 - 1956
Birmingham Daily Post 1857- 1979
Birmingham Mail 1871 - 1945
Birmingham Weekly Post 1954 - 1960
Evening Despatch 1914 - 1945
Sports Argus 1897 - 1979

As you can see, it's a bit thin on the ground after the end of WW2.

Maurice
I think that , though it states that newspapers for those dates are available, not every one in those years are available. I have found gaps in particular in the Birm Post in those years

Agreed, Mike, though they are attempting to fill those gaps, though we could do with another 30 years of each of the main Birmingham papers too.

Nigel,

Here's the current online coverage of Birmingham-related newspapers, which were included in my searches:-

Birmingham Daily Gazette 1862 - 1956
Birmingham Daily Post 1857- 1979
Birmingham Mail 1871 - 1945
Birmingham Weekly Post 1954 - 1960
Evening Despatch 1914 - 1945
Sports Argus 1897 - 1979

As you can see, it's a bit thin on the ground after the end of WW2.

Thanks again Maurice....you have been a great help Sir...really appreciate all this

Nigel,

As regards the boxing history of your family, Boxing News magazine started under a different name in 1909, and whilst a facsimile of the first issue and back issues from 2018/9 can be purchased, there is no indication as to who holds issues from the 20th century and whether they have been digitised and are searchable. I've emailed them and will report back when I get a reply.

Nigel,

As regards the boxing history of your family, Boxing News magazine started under a different name in 1909, and whilst a facsimile of the first issue and back issues from 2018/9 can be purchased, there is no indication as to who holds issues from the 20th century and whether they have been digitised and are searchable. I've emailed them and will report back when I get a reply.

Again...this is really appreciated Maurice...im indebted to you Sir....thank you

Good evening Fellow Brummies....Hope everyones well on this cold Dark night....OK.....I ve been looking and have managed to find out a little more , and with some help off others, may be able to put a few pieces together.... JOSEPH TURNER married a MARY CASE or CANE ????....these are my Great great Grandparents....Also...JOHN PATRICK TURNER my Great Grandfather, born in DEC 29th 1892...and passed in MAY 28th 1964...his son in law registered the Death as H EAGLES.....not sure if thats HARRY or HENRY EAGLES.... On the Boxing side of things....GEORGE JOSEPH TURNER a semi Pro....was also Known as TIGER TURNER .....Hopefully....someone out there will know about any of this and be able to help me complete a little more........Thanks again everyone...

Could it be Mary Carl?

There is a marriage for a Joseph Turner and a Mary Carl registered Bham Sep qtr 1887. And birth registered for a John Turner Bham Mar qtr 1893. No middle name listed but that's not uncommon.

On his marriage to John's daughter H Eagles is listed as Harry but still could have been Henry at birth.

Back