• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking For The Graves Of Rebecca And Henry Cooke - Section P - Warstone Cmty

Doogles

Greetings from Vancouver, Canada. I'm making this post because I have learned that two of my great-great grandparents are buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery:

Rebecca Cooke (died 1895) - Section P, Grave 1969, and
Henry Cooke (died 1896) - Section P, Grave 1951

About a week ago I sent an email to [email protected]
gave them the names of two ancestors buried in Warstone Rd Cemetery, the dates of their deaths, and asked for any information they might have on one or both.
Yesterday I received a reply that said they do indeed have records of burials of both people (they were husband and wife), and they gave me the Section and Grave Number for each as noted above.

I am not able to get to Birmingham at this time or in the foreseeable future. So I'm submitting this post in the hope that someone, who has the time and interest, would be willing to visit the cemetery and take photos of the graves and grave-marker(s) or gravestone(s) if there are any.

I have attached a copy of the map sent to me from the Handsworth Cemetery office, and a copy of the death notice for Rebecca Cooke.
If someone on the forum has a suggestion about my post, please offer it. Thanks in advance.
Douglas

Attachments

• WarstoneCemetery,Birmingham,UK - Map with Cooke Graves marked.jpg
    WarstoneCemetery,Birmingham,UK - Map with Cooke Graves marked.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 1895-Death Notice - Rebecca Bennet Cooke.jpg
    1895-Death Notice - Rebecca Bennet Cooke.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 16
Hello Doogles, Greetings from Birmingham!

I'm sorry to have to inform you that both of these graves are "Public" which means there are many interments in each. This is the case for many members of my family too.

There is a website with this information, www.jqrt.org which you may find interesting.

Warstone Lane Cemetery is a beautiful place, some of my ancestors are in plot P also, however I am unable to post a photograph.

I hope this helps, Best Wishes,
rosie.

Thank you so much for this information rosie. When I read about the "Public Graves" at Warstone, I thought it more than likely that that would be where my great-great-grandparents would be buried, and that hunch has been confirmed by your info. I had read a list of locations of "Public Graves" in the cemetery but Section P was not one of the letters mentioned. If and when I get to Birmingham, though, I will definitely visit Warstone Lane Cemetery, not only because of its connection with my ancestors, but also because so many posts on this thread speak of its beauty.

I'm sorry that there wasn't better news for you, I'm just happy that my family are in such a lovely place!
rosie.

Back