• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for the bailey family

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks i am tearing me hair out again...would be grateful if anyone can find this family on the 71...got them on the 81 in villa st..i am trying to find them with daughter minnie b 1859 on the 71...thanks folks..

william 42..coal dealer
sarah 38
thomas 21
james 18
edward 14
william 12
george 7
florence2

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
yes thats what i keep getting as well...i guess they could have been missed off the 71 but i will keep looking...thanks rosie..

lyn

pjmburns

master brummie
I know this is not the census but the 1878 PO directory of Birmingham lists a William Bailey Coal Dealer at 135(and a half) at Villa Street. In 1862 there is a William Bailey (no occupations given) in the same street.
I also think I have them on the 1861 census - in case you wanted that as well. Right children but different occupation.

Janice

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks janice that puts him in villa st between 61 and 81....will still try to find him on the 71 in the hopes that daughter minnie is there...

lyn

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Janice.
I did realise that the street list of the Corporation directory of 1862 did not come from the same database as the name list, but did not think of checking the street list also.
Assuming that the order of people listed in the list of villa st was as it is on the ground (which I think it must be), then I have tried to check where he was in 1862 by comparison to later directories. It was certainly different to his later address, but could only limit it to the are in purple on the map below

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put the map on before seeing Carolina' post. This would mean either that they moved between the (niminally) 1862 directory and the census, or that he had a place of business different from his home

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lyn , I have out every permutation into census records that I can think of and still not found them
I have 'walked ' up and down Villa street in 1871 there are 48 entries and they are not there, there are no house numbers so the only conclusion I can come to is that the enumerator missed a few out.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks everyone at least i have minnie on the 61 which confirms i have the correct family...i agree they must have been missed off the 71...mike thanks for map..which part of villa st is it...cant make out the road running accross...

lyn

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Lyn. The road running across the bottom was then nursery terrace, later named nursery road

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
yes mike i realised that when i saw afterwards the letter terr on the map...well i shall go to the foot of our stairs because the area you have marked out with possible houses where william bailey lived includes my old house at no 118..was there from 1958 to 72...

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
alberta i forgot to say thanks for walking up and down villa st on the 71 it was and still is a long street lol..on it you will have come across david froggatt who married minnie bailey in 1880 so i dont think they would have been living far away from each other.. minnie was in farm st on the 61 so poss still there on the 71 but just missed out on the census...

Last edited: