• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for soen

cabman2

knowlegable brummie
aM COMPLETELY STUCK. MY GREAT GRANDFATHER WALTER SOEN WAS BORN IN KINGSBURY WARWICKSHIRE IN 1869 BUT I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING BEFORE THIS DATE HE WAS MARRIED TO ADA B. 1865. BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANYONE CAN DO BETTER THAN ME ( NOT DIFFICULT I ASSURE YOU )

smtr

master brummie
Do you have the 1871? living at Cottage, Coton Rd, Kingsbury - the actual image says SOEN
Edward SORN B1829 Windsor, berkshire - Tailor
Hannah Sorn B1833 Kingsbury - wife
Elizabeth Sorn B1860 Kingsbury - daughter
Thomas Sorn B1863 Kingsbury - son
Sarah Sorn B1866 Kingsbury - daughter
Frederick Sorn B1868 Kingsbury - son
Walter Sorn B1869 Kingsbury - son

Suzanne

smtr

master brummie
Edward Soen B1830 Windsor, Berkshire - Tailor - living at Holoughton? Kingsbury
Hannah Soen B1834 Kingsbury - wife
Ellen Soen B1858 Birmingham - daughter (She isn't on the 1871)
Elizabeth Soen B1860 Kingsbury - daughter

Suzanne

smtr

master brummie
Walter's father Edward 1851 lodging at Hill Street, Dudley with
William Smith B1811 Dudley - stone miner
Jane Smith B1817 Dudley
Elizabeth Smith B1840 Dudley - daughter
Emily Smith B1848 Dudley - daughter
Caroline Smith B1850 Dudley - daughter
Charles Reynolds B1827 Worcester - lodger - joiner
Caroline Reynolds B1821 Wiltshire - lodger - dressmaker
Edward Jones B1830 Montgomeryshire - lodger - tailor
David Jones B1829 Montgomeryshire - lodger - tailor
Edward Soen B1830 London - lodger - Tailor

Suzanne

cabman2

knowlegable brummie
Suzanne! you are a star. i knew that there was a Windsor link bu did NOT know that he was in lodgings let alone in Dudley. gathered that he had arrived in kingsbury to marry Hannah My father was their son James Walter born 1904 in Aston . thanx a million. you've accomplished more in 15 mins that i have in a month. anything else welcome. cannot understand the SORN link. must be a misprint ( or they couldnt spell ) How do i find more 4 the Windsor link please?

smtr

master brummie
Glad to help. It had been transcribed by Ancestry as SORN but as I said the actual image says SOEN:)

Suzanne

cabman2

knowlegable brummie
Had the info via Find my Past which clearly reads Soen . easily done i suppose. you are quick my friend . JIM

cabman2

knowlegable brummie
As i said, i cant find anything before the Windsor entry. i know that census's were only fairly reliable till about 1851 before then we had to rely on church records . the Winsor addres s would be very useful. thanx for giving up your time for an old codger like me. Bless you
Jim

Dave89

master brummie
Hi

There is an old building called Halloughton Grange just off Coton Road in Nether Whitacre.
I remember it being a substantial home a few years ago with peacocks which were
always wandering in the road. I understand the outbuildings have been converted as industrial
units, but I don't know about the house.

Coton Road runs from Station Road Whitacre to the big island on Kingsbury Road, just up from the oil terminal.

Kind regards

Dave

jetgriff

Hi Dave yes know it well, my dad way back in 1956's demolished Halloughton Hall and built 2 houses on the site for mr's Frost and Foster.

H Grange 2014.jpg

cabman2

knowlegable brummie
Don't know u personally Jeff but certainly same family. Dad born james walter soen March 1904. Father Walter from Kingsbury to Aston