• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

looking for pub name

kim64

proper brummie kid
hi i am trying to find the name of a pub that was at 81 aston st has my gt gt grandparents were the publicans there and would love to find pic if i could can anyone help
kim

The Grapes Inn appears in Robson's 1839 directory, and I have not yet found any earlier record. It continued in business until it was knocked down to complete the new Central Fire Station in 1932-33. It was in Aston Street at the corner of Moland Street.
Some licensees were:
Thomas Wall, 1839 - 41,
Thomas Ward, 1862,
John Mellor, 1868,
Mrs Elizabeth Mellor, 1873 - 78,
Benjamin Simcox, 1883 - 90,
Henry Watkins, 1895,
Frank N Rooker, 1900,
Allen James Tomlinson, 1913,
A J Cole, 1921,
Samuel Small, 1933.
The years specified above are the official date of a directory, which was often based on material collected during the previous year, so it's quite likely that the pub actually closed towards the end of 1932.
I would love to see a picture of it. Can anyone help, please?
Peter

Aston Moland St  Aston St.jpg Peter here is the corner of Moland St and Aston St.........now over the door you can just see A.Cole
Photo taken in the 30's

:angel: Is the street running down to the right of the picture Moland St ?
If so my Gt, Gt, Grandparents and their family lived at :
21 Ct 7 H Moland St in 1851 and 99  Moland Street in 1861 census.  O0

Chris....... Moland St to the left Aston St to the Right  O0

My G-Grandfather had a button making business in Moland St in the 1860's

Last edited by a moderator:
:angel: I've just been checking and Benjamin Simcox was running The Grapes Inn 81 Aston St in 1881, he had family at 80 Aston St in the Bakery bussiness and to my suprise my Great Gt Gran now aged 60 years is still living at 99 Moland St, but is now widowed and has a doughter in law with her aged 39. Also 21ct house 7 is next door to 99 Moland St so she has lived in that street for at least 30 years.

hi thanks for the information and pics its a great help, my gt gt grandfather was samuel lloyd wife elizabeth and were there in 1891 accordinding to census. another of my relatives lived in moland st court19 house2 michael burns a shoemaker

Sorry to be difficult again, Crom, but my understanding of the old directories is that the Grapes was on the other corner of Moland Street. The houses in Aston St were numbered consecutively, starting at Vauxhall St (where it met Stafford St) with No 1, and continuing on the south side to Duke St at Gosta Green with No. 53. The numbers then continued from the corner of Fisher St with No. 54 and carried on back to what we used to call Lancaster Place, with the well-recorded 'Swan with Two Necks' pub at No 101. Moland St came between Nos 80 and 81, and that fascinating but badly bellied building in your pictures was No 80, which is in Kelly's 1933 Directory as occupied by Arthur Rowe, scale maker.
Like all these old Brum buildings, No 80 had some smashing chimneys. Houses aren't the same without chimneys, are they?
Peter

Well Peter I can't go back an' take another pic but we got a picture of the copper looking at the Grapes (when he turns his head)
so thats close

Looking at that brick wall of No 80, I wouldn't stand near it taking pictures. I'd get right out of the danger area and find something safer to photograph.
Peter

Reply 9: Peter, it looks like you are right as it reads down the wall out side "scales" & over the door "A.ROWE" ONE UP FOR KELLY'S 1933
ASTON

Well here is the other corner Peter and a drawing of the pub which is the best I can do (unless ya want a painting)

I know this thread is very old now, but my relatives ran The Grapes, 81, Aston St., in 1911. My great uncle, who was the licensee was Albert Russell.

Lyn
I notice that Peter Walker, on an earlier post in the thread states the pub was demolished 1932-3. This appears to be an unusual occasion when Peter was incorrect, as it was still listed in Kellys in the 1937 edition, though has gone in the 1938 edition

Lyn, #16 That pick looks older than 1937 going by the poor quality and so do the figures, I would have been 7 at that time and I cannot remember people looking so 'old fashioned' , is the pic dated ? it as a 1920's look to me, but I'm probably wrong . Eric

Lyn, #16 That pick looks older than 1937 going by the poor quality and so do the figures, I would have been 7 at that time and I cannot remember people looking so 'old fashioned' , is the pic dated ? it as a 1920's look to me, but I'm probably wrong . Eric

yes eric its dated 1937 and as mike said it had gone by 38

lyn

Back