• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for Paula (Miss Margaret’s Shop)

Brummie-Mummy

Hi everyone,

I’m desperately seeking Paula, who owned the Miss Margaret’s Haberdashery shop Alum Rock road. I lost contact with after moving away. Friends tell she used to ask about me. But, I was in too dark a place to face anyone at that time of my life. I regret it to this day. By the time, I moved back, the business had closed and no one knew where she’d gone. It’s been years and still look for her face in the crowds. If I’m honest, with each passing year, I am losing hope. She was a lot older than me. More like a mother than a friend. I fear I may have lost her. Please, please, can anyone help me find her/advise me how to go about it. I can’t remember her surname. But she had a son called Gary and two daughters, Heather and Toni. I’d be grateful to you for the rest of my days. Thank you so much.

Hopeful

Hi everyone,

I’m desperately seeking Paula, who owned the Miss Margaret’s Haberdashery shop Alum Rock road. I lost contact with after moving away. Friends tell she used to ask about me. But, I was in too dark a place to face anyone at that time of my life. I regret it to this day. By the time, I moved back, the business had closed and no one knew where she’d gone. It’s been years and still look for her face in the crowds. If I’m honest, with each passing year, I am losing hope. She was a lot older than me. More like a mother than a friend. I fear I may have lost her. Please, please, can anyone help me find her/advise me how to go about it. I can’t remember her surname. But she had a son called Gary and two daughters, Heather and Toni. I’d be grateful to you for the rest of my days. Thank you so much.

Hopeful
Hi, have you had any luck? I knew Paula for very many years as I was children's wear rep. Two days ago I thought of Paula as she was a lovely lady, and I googled Miss Margaret Birmingham thinking how nice it would be to contact her, and lo and behold you appeared so I have joined the group so I could contact you. I did live in Birmingham for the first 26 years of my life and travelled to Birmingham selling for 45 years.
I knew the shop before Paula took it over and I used to have all her details, but having retired, they have all gone.
Paula was a kind generous lady who would help all the waifs and strays around ( nothing personal). Her husband was a lovely chap but in later years had dementia, and came to the shop with her every day. I knew all the kids, the eldest daughter passing away very young and Paula brought up her lovely grand daughter, bringing her to the shop in a cot and playpen initially. Her family were her pride and joy.
Paula never had much, but was generous to the core. She was a customer, but I still get a tear thinking of her and considered her a friend as well as a customer.
Wish I could put you in touch, but sadly I cannot. You can be sure that she was genuinely fond of everyone she helped and I am sure that includes you.
Just wondering! Maybe we met, I often saw the ladies she befriended helping her behind the counter, she bought mainly girls dresses off me.
If anything progresses, I will contact you, but unlikely
kind regards
Howard Reggel

Hello there & welcome to the Forum.
Could either of you tell me the approximate years that Paula worked at this shop please?

Maurice :cool:

Well done, MWS, but such a plethora of forenames, none of which seem to relate to her real name.

Maurice :cool:

Back