• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

looking for my Great Grandmothers first name

tootz2

knowlegable brummie
I have my Great Grandad`s name Joseph William Brookes and I am looking for his wife,the only Address I have is Back 104 William Street Ladywood,this was found on a Burial Certificate when he was buried date 9/4/1931 it was bought by his daughter Georgina Elizabeth Brookes but nothing is coming up on the census page,I am thinking his wife died previously and thought maybe the census would have given me some clue,can anyone advise me please?

tootz2

knowlegable brummie
There is a Joseph William Brookes marrying a Fanny Brown in Birmingham 1881. Is this the one?
Goodness me that was quick!!!! It could well be my Grandmothers name was Fanny ( her daughter) I have been looking for 2 weeks on the internet you must be a wizard lol

tootz2

knowlegable brummie
Caroline thank you for your speedy reply...could you give me some advise on how I go about doing these searches please?

carolina

master brummie
[h=2]Birmingham, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1937 about Fanny Brown[/h]
Name:Fanny Brown
Birth Year:abt 1858
Marriage Date:21 Oct 1881
Marriage Age:23
Marriage Place:Birmingham, St Stephen, Warwickshire, England
Spouse:Joseph William Brookes
Spouse Gender:Male
Spouse Marriage Age:23
Father:James Brown
Spouse's Father:Samuel Brookes
Reference Number:DRO 32
Archive Roll:628

tootz2

knowlegable brummie
No but I can join,I saw an advertisement yesterday for that site with first 14 days free if its the same one..thank you SO much for your help :)

carolina

master brummie
I have found 1911 census with the above names on but also children - Denzil,Grace and Norman. But both Fanny and Joseph were born London but were now living Charles Road Small Heath. Does this agree with your findings or completely wrong?

tootz2

knowlegable brummie
Awww no they had 3 children but their names were Fanny,Leah and Georgina and im almost sure they were Birmingham

carolina

master brummie
If they had a daughter Fanny it looks as though we have the right original ones but wrong children. Try the free 14 day trial, but you can use Library free of charge. Good luck

tootz2

knowlegable brummie
I was told Georgina died in WW2 her house was blown up and Small Heath was mentioned obviously this was after her Dad died 9 years earlier,she died in 1940 abd was put in the grave she bought for her Dad previously in Witton Cemetary...

carolina

master brummie
· COPY

· PRINT

· SOURCE BOX

Name:
Fanny Brookes
Christening Date:
24 May 1891
Christening Place:
Birmingham, Warwick, England
Father's Name:
Joseph Brookes
Mother's Name:
Fanny Brookes

Name:
Georgina Elizabeth Brooks
Event Type:
Birth Registration
Registration Quarter:
Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year:
Registration District:
Birmingham
County:
Warwickshire
Event Place:
Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Volume:
6D
Page:
Line Number:

pjmburns

master brummie
This may be a red herring but the 1925 and 1927 electoral rolls list a Joseph William Brookes living at 8 back of 101 William Street. Also there are Alice and Frank Brookes. 104 does not seem to have any back numbers.
In 1930 he is still there with Alice.

Janice

tootz2

knowlegable brummie
Actually I found the name Alice crossed off on the certificate I mentioned as the buyer of the burial plot and Georgina`s name wrote in so maybe his wifes name was Alice and was put in there by mistake