• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for Joseph Green Aston

lesg128

george 1st
Hi Everyone.
Can you please help me find Joseph Green who seems to have gone off my radar.
I have him listed in Census 1851 with his fatherThomas Green and mother Ann Green.
:- Thomas Green B1806
Ann Green B1812
Thomas Green B1834
Esther Green B1836
William Green B1837
Joseph Green B1847
Address is Washwood Heath. Saltley.

I cannot find him in Census 1861.Hope someone can help.

Lesg128:)

Shera

true brummie
i checked the 1851 census because it seemed strange that joseph was b 1847 and the next oldest was 1837

i think although it was transcribed as age 4 (1847) it should have been 11 (1840)

in 1861 there are two possibles

joseph green b. 1840 married to frances eliza living bloomsbury st. aston and born aston which is same as 1851 census

or joseph green b. 1840 lodging with the mclaren family in spencer st. bham born birmingham. see what you think

lesg128

george 1st
Shera
Many thanks for your swift response re Joseph!
I see what you mean about the transcription. I believe that it is an excellent deduction 'worthy of Hercule Poirot'. Hmmmm the next part is a bit more difficult
Joseph and Frances Eliza or Joseph the Lodger? I think I must favour the former as the family have always lived in Aston.
I suppose now I have a more correct birth date I could get someone to look at Census 1871.
Regards
Lesg128

Shera

true brummie
the marriage could be

joseph green 1860 jul-sep aston 6d 341 which could be to frances jones.

to confirm you have the right joseph if you can send for the cert. and say you only want it if father of joseph green is thomas.

Shera

true brummie
in 1871 this could be your joseph still living in aston

joseph green 31 ??? publican b. bham
eliza 32 b. bham

this matches the ages of both from the 1861 census. (joseph was 21 and frances eliza 22)

lesg128

george 1st
Hi again shera
You are certainly on the trail of Joseph.
Is there any mention of children or the name of the pub.
Regards
lesg128

Shera

true brummie
alas, the writing is appalling. i cant read the street name, could be thomas st.? or norman st.? and there is something before the "publican" in josephs occupation. i dont think they were living at a pub though.

no children so that worried me a bit. perhaps we are on the wrong trail. should they have had children?

ladylinda

master brummie
Hi there,have you considered this one?
Green Joseph (Head) aged 21 born Aston, Staffordshire occ Smith
Green Frances Eliza (Wife) aged 22 born Aston, Staffordshire occ Button Polisher
living at 1 Cooper Building Back Of 21 Bloomsbury Street, Aston, Warwickshire

ladylinda

master brummie
Oops sorry Shera,you've already posted that one!
The street in the 1871 is,I think,Devon Street and I think the occupation is Brewer,Publican

lesg128

george 1st
Hi ladylinda
The 1861 looks promising.
How did Aston end up in Staffordshire or is there another Aston that I am not aware of ?
The Cooper building Bloomsbury St. by a co-incidence his brother Thomas B1834, in 1871 lived at 11 Coopers Cottage Cherry Lane Bordesley!
Lesg128

lesg128

george 1st
Hi Michael Ingram
Joseph's father was Thomas Green His wife was Ann Rogers.
His brother Thomas B1834 married a Sarah Mewis.
Lesg128