• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking for Jarrett

bombed out brummie

master brummie
Looking for any connections to Edwin Holtham Jarrett living in Bishopgate Street, born 1834, married Emma Price 1857, then Fanny Phillips, they had a son John Edwin Jarrett born 1882

I think Edwin and Emma are in my tree... Emma is possibly the one who married twice whilst Edwin was still alive... It's been awhile since I last did any FH research, but will take a look at what I have and get back to you later.

Annie

I think Edwin and Emma are in my tree... Emma is possibly the one who married twice whilst Edwin was still alive... It's been awhile since I last did any FH research, but will take a look at what I have and get back to you later.

Annie
Hi Annie, Thanks for your reply. Yes I am sure its the same family. Emma did marry twice while Edwin was still alive. Did you know Edwin had a son with another woman the same year Emma married William Price in 1882. The son was John Holtam sic Jarrett. Edwin's wife? (Can't find a marriage) was Fanny Phillips formerly Stokes. John Holtam Jarrett married Margaret Coombes, Margaret was related to Clifford Coombes, who owned S&U Stores in Birmingham, and also Birmingham City Football club. I traced the Jarrett family for my cousin in Australia and took it out to her last year, she was thrilled. Her mother was Frances Jarrett. Hope I am not telling you what you already know, sorry if I am. Edwin was born in 1834 in Evesham, his parents were John & Annie also from Evesham. I cannot find trace of Edwin after the birth of his son in 1882. What is your connection to the Jarrett Family? perhaps we could exchange what information we both have, I am sure my cousin would be so pleased. Best regards and hope to keep in touch. I now live in Devon so it's more difficult to get to Birmingham record office.

Hello BOB,
Looks like you have covered most of the information I have.
My connection with the Jarrett line is that Emma and Edwin are my Gt.Gt.Grandparents.

Emma went on to marry William Hill in 1882
and then Ben Sadler in 1887

Edwin died in 1889 - the informant on the Death Certificate was F.Phillips (so they never married).

With regard to your mention of Coombes, I worked for Morris and Jacombs (builders) in the sixties who were also Directors of Birmingham City FC and were former players.

It`s been a long time since I last looked at this branch of my family history, but quite happy to share info.

Like you, I no longer live in the Midlands - relocated to Dorset.

Annie

Hello BOB,
Looks like you have covered most of the information I have.
My connection with the Jarrett line is that Emma and Edwin are my Gt.Gt.Grandparents.

Emma went on to marry William Hill in 1882
and then Ben Sadler in 1887

Edwin died in 1889 - the informant on the Death Certificate was F.Phillips (so they never married).

With regard to your mention of Coombes, I worked for Morris and Jacombs (builders) in the sixties who were also Directors of Birmingham City FC and were former players.

It`s been a long time since I last looked at this branch of my family history, but quite happy to share info.

Like you, I no longer live in the Midlands - relocated to Dorset.

Annie
Thanks Annie, Is your connection via Ellen Elizabeth Jarrett, and then the Holliers or have I missed one of Edwin & Emma's children.? I would be glad to share what I have, but would it be better by EMail? Would that be Morris and Jacobs who were in Hob Moor Road? I lived in Small Heath and went to Marlborough Road School, in Green Lane in the 1950's Regards Fred.

Yes, Fred, my connection is through the Hollier line. My Grandmother was Clara Hollier b. 1880. Your connection? You mentioned your cousin and her mother Frances?
I also grew up in Small Heath... Victoria Street (Inner Circle 8 bus route).
I didn't attend Marlborough Road School, but knew a lot of people who did.

Private message me, if you prefer.

Regards
Annie

Yes, Fred, my connection is through the Hollier line. My Grandmother was Clara Hollier b. 1880. Your connection? You mentioned your cousin and her mother Frances?
I also grew up in Small Heath... Victoria Street (Inner Circle 8 bus route).
I didn't attend Marlborough Road School, but knew a lot of people who did.

Private message me, if you prefer.

Regards
Annie
Hi Annie, I am not directly related to the Jarrett family, I did it for my cousins wife. She was the great grand daughter of Edwin Holtham Jarrett & Fanny Phillips, they had a son John Holtam (sic) Jarrett in 1882, he married Margaret Coombes, they had a daughter Frances who married Raymond Rogers, their daughter Rita Rogers born 1940 (My cousins wife, now Pearce) is the one I traced it for, but she is very interested. Do you agree that Edwin Holtham Jarrett was the son of John Holtham Jarrett & Annie Winters, born in Evesham in 1834, and John was born in Evesham in 1798 and Annie in 1814. If I have it wrong perhaps you could correct me. John was a butcher in 1851 living in William Street. I know Victoria Street well, I lived in Greenway Street. I played football for "The Victoria" pub in Prince Albert Street, it was my local. I knew some people in Victoria Street, the Nichols, and my second cousin lived there too, Carol Marson, she lived at Pearce's builders yard, on the corner of North Warwick Street. Her father was the caretaker there. Did you know the Harrison's in Prince Albert Street, The Palfrey family in Little Green Lane? & I knew many more off the Bordesley Green they were all friends of Regards Fred

Last edited:
Hello Fred,
Yes, my research matches yours back to John Jarrett and Annie Winters and I have John's occupation as butcher in 1851. I did my research in 2006/7, so FH has been on the back burner fo sometime - may be time to start looking again.
All the families you mention in the Victoria Street area were known to me.
I also had friends in your end of Small Heath, Little Green Lane, Arsenal Street and Greenway Street. There's quite a lot on the Forum re Greenway Street.
Thanks for your email address but, if I was you Fred, I would now edit your post to remove your email details from the open forum.
You can private message other members by clicking on the envelope icon.
Regards
Annie

Hello Fred,
Yes, my research matches yours back to John Jarrett and Annie Winters and I have John's occupation as butcher in 1851. I did my research in 2006/7, so FH has been on the back burner fo sometime - may be time to start looking again.
All the families you mention in the Victoria Street area were known to me.
I also had friends in your end of Small Heath, Little Green Lane, Arsenal Street and Greenway Street. There's quite a lot on the Forum re Greenway Street.
Thanks for your email address but, if I was you Fred, I would now edit your post to remove your email details from the open forum.
You can private message other members by clicking on the envelope icon.
Regards
Annie

Thanks Annie, I am new to this site and I thought I was only replying to you, have deleted details, Senior moment!! Tried to send a private message but still not sure if I did it correctly by clicking on the envolope icon at the top of the page, but can't see anywhere to send message, hence why I have sent this one. Regards Fred

Easiest way is to click on Annie's username and then "Start a concersation". Use the envelope to read replies.

Maurice :cool:

Back