• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking for Inquests Kathleen Bradbury

phillip bates

knowlegable brummie
Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the most likely newspaper to search for an inquest or coroners report for a death in 1959 in Birmingham.

Is the Birmingham Post or Birmingham Mail the most likely, or are there any others I should try.

I am looking for an Inquest for Kathleen Bradbury who died in September Quarter 1959, I believe she died in unfortunate circumstances and would like to search details of her death.

I understand that coroners reports are closed to the public for 75 years, so my best option is to look for newspaper reports for an Inquest date and possible details.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Phill

Phill,

There's nothing on the online version of the British Library Newspaper Collection - in fact there's very little online after 1950 at the moment.

I thinks it's a case of trawling through the microfilmed Birmingham Mail in the new Library.

EDIT: That said, if you are a close relative and the Coroner is satisfied that you are not out to make mischief, you will eventually get permission. I obtained access to the Inquest into my aunt's possible suicide, though the verdict was that it was most likely an accident, in 1966 some years ago.

Maurice

Thanks Maurice

I think there may be chance of access, if any records survive that is, but I have applied for closed records before and found that they are only accessible via a third party who charge the earth, and are usually quite expensive for a little information, which should be in the public domain.

So I thought I'd try my luck on here and see if anyone can recommend which paper I trawl through first.

Thanks

Phill

I think it depends on the reason for access and the helpfulness of the coroner. Some years ago a friend of mine learnt via a newspaper report, that her brother who she had not been in contact with for many years, and had been adopted when young, had committed suicide, and she had not been informed.. She was very upset and I spoke to the (Warrington) coroner who was very helpful and immediately allowed me to visit him and collect copies of all the papers that could be released from the inquest so she could read them.

Interesting Mike. Mine was obtained during the 1990s and cost nothing. The library gave me a form to fill in and I received a letter to back a couple of weeks later. When I did so, the archivist gave me the file to which was attached a note from the Coroner stating that the one thing they had to be certain of was that I was not seeking access to "make mischief". Since my aunt's illegitimate daughter had also died together with her daughter and the aunt's parents (she was in her 80s), I was as close to her as anyone, even though I had not seen her for 40 years! Of course, we can't say that it is the same situation regarding access now, Phill.

Maurice

Hi phill if you apply for a death certificate this should give you the date of any inquest, once you have the date you can then check the post and the mail, the new library has a great facility on the 4th floor where the papers are stored on film in order of date a staff member will show you how to connect it to the pc and how to use it, its quite quick to trawl through once you get the hang of it Good luck Michael PS you will need to be a library member which is free to join and takes about 10 min and the research is free you can book the pc for 2 hours

Hi

Can anyone tell me which is the most likely newspaper to search for an inquest or coroners report for a death in 1959 in Birmingham.

Is the Birmingham Post or Birmingham Mail the most likely, or are there any others I should try.

I am looking for an Inquest for Kathleen Bradbury who died in September Quarter 1959, I believe she died in unfortunate circumstances and would like to search details of her death.

I understand that coroners reports are closed to the public for 75 years, so my best option is to look for newspaper reports for an Inquest date and possible details.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Phill
Hi Phill.Kathleen Bradbury is my best friends mother her name is Sue she has asked me to ask you if you have any info on her mom she would appreciate if you could let her know has she was only 6 when her mom died and has been trying for years to find anything out about her.Sue(Middleton) is on facebook and she said it would be nice to have a chat with you.Thank's Irene

Back