• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking for info' on Bullock/Spittle/ Hampton

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
I need help here please, I'm looking for Esther ? family, Sarah Bullock's family, and William Hampton's family if possible please.
This is old information sent to me by a cousin about 9 years ago, she said at the time she found records of them in both St Martin and St Phillips Churches.
BENJAMIN SPITTLE Christened 01 OCT 1787 Saint Martin Birmingham.
Father: BENJAMIN SPITTLE Mother: ESTHER ?

BENJAMIN SPITTLE Married to SARAH BULLOCK 29 AUG 1820
Saint Martin, Birmingham.

MARIA SPITTLE Married to WILLIAM HAMPTON 12 JUN 1843
Saint Martin Birmingham.

Thank you in advance for any help at all, as I have no idea which Bullock line, or Hampton line to follow and no idea who Esther's family were.
I do have the Spittle's census records from 1841 and hampton's Census records from 1851 up.

Last edited:
the marriage between maria spittle and william hampton 12 jun 1843 was at st. phillips

the marriage of benjamin spittle and sarah bullock was at st. martins 29 aug 1820. he was a bachelor but sarah was a widow. witnesses were john jones and maria greaves

the baptism of benjamin spittle was at st. phillips 1st oct 1787. parents benjamin and esther.

also baptisms of ann spittle on 9 jun 1785 and joseph spittle on 19 may 1783 both also at st. phillips with same parents

theres a marriage at st. martins of benjamin spittle to esther wood. 21st july 1777. bachelor and spinster. witnesses ?? wood and sarah spittle.

Thank you so much.... but oh dear...
Looks like the Spittle/Wood marriage could be mine even though the children are at least 8 years later, however they may have been the younger ones of a much larger family.
Now for Sarah Bullock/ Spittle, I wonder if Bullock was her maiden name, or her first married name?
I also wonder if the witnesses were related to her and one of their names was her 'other' name and that may be why Maia Spittle was named Maria, because I know the name was passed down a couple of times again in the family, even I was to be called Christine Maria after my Gran, but mom never liked it so I became Muriel instead.
No further ahead on the Hampton's then, I'll have to get the marriage cert, I have the ref info' on that.
Thanx again you have been of help once again Shera :)

Pomgolian, I worked with a Father & Son named Spittle. the Son was Leslie Spittle,the Father came from London, there was also an Uncle Named Kenneth Daniels on the Mothers side, don`t know if this info may help.Len.

I have a Norman Hampton in our tree he married Barbra Benton around 1940s in SUTTON COLDFIELD ENGLAND UK. I think the whole family were Sutton folks.

Thanks everyone for the info'... What spurred me on to look into the 'Hampton' side of the family was to find out how 'Happy Harry Hampton' a Villa and Blues player of the past fitted into my family tree, I do know he fits in for sure... but how is a mystery.

Back