• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for info on a sea captain..

christy

master brummie
MY GGGFATHER, WAS A SEA CAPTAIN..IN N,IRELAND [BELFAST]. BORN AROUND 1850s [dublin city]..& DIED IN THE 1890s..his name was..JOHN MULLAN..AGED 40,s..married to Mary Mullan..is there anywhere to find any info..please..many thanks..

The Crew Lists 1861-1913 on FMP show only one John Mullan born Castletown, Isle of Man in 1860.

Maurice

Christy:

I've had a dig around and the best thing I can come up with is this:-

https://www.belfastfamilyhistory.com/links.php

who have a Contact Us link on this page. I did find mention of a "Belfast Ship Records" on someone's family history resume, but no additional information. Most likely held in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, but the link I've given you should be much more knowledgeable than me!

Maurice

thank you so much guys..i had given up all ways on this topic..i will check the link..& see how i get on.. if i found his next of kin,of which i know, is mary mullan.[keatley] born dublin city..aged 43..in the 1901 irish census..belfast..widowed...my guess her husband [john mullan]..was of similar age..& possiblly married in dublin..there son..was born in 1878..also named john mullan.born dublin city..RC.. i have checked for death records.in the 1890s..upon till 1898, when there son married..& listed father deseaed..sea captain..is there a place in the uk..a record office for lost log books..or missing at sea..also there is not no census for 1851-61-71-81-91..so the task gets a bit harder..can you help..regards..christy.

Christy:

The only John Mullan registered as dying at see between 1880 and 1900 was this one:-

Jno Mullan - Born Belfast - Age at death: 28

Ship: Lord Lansdowne GRO Ref: Box 0006 Page 16

Place of death: Dublin. I presume that this was probably the port the ship was sailing to.

The Lord Lansdowne was a trawler (commandeered by the Navy during World War 1 as HMS Lord Lansdowne)

This fits some of your points, but definitely not others. Particularly his conceiving a child at the age of 14 years!!!

Maurice

hi, is there any marriages from 1870s..of john mullan v mary keatley..maybe [dublin city]..?? cheers..

Hi Christy,

One of the major problems with searching for Irish records is that a significant amount of them were destroyed during the Civil War here in 1922-3. The Four Courts and the Customs House in Dublin were both burned during this time and vast amounts of irreplacable records dating back many centuries were lost as they had been stored in the basements there for "safe keeping". Another stumbling block is that the Census records were sent to India to be inputted on-line and in some cases the names were misread due to both poor handwriting and being transcribed by people not familiar with common "western" surnames, this can cause problems when searching on-line.

Simon

The Crew Lists 1861-1913 on FMP show only one John Mullan born Castletown, Isle of Man in 1860.

Maurice
...cheers sospiri..i wonder was there a marriage of this man in the late 1870s..if my ggfather was born in 1878/9..???

hi.6918..great info..& very sad about the irish records..i have my gfathers marriage cert 1898..plus i have more bits.yet i am at a stand still..i have in the past sent off for info,from rosscommon, with no details..found..my gfather came from dublin city,so did his mother,yet i cannot found any details..the name Mullan can be spelled mullin or mullen..if you are up for a challenge, plz let me know,i may pop over for research in dublin..i have details on the irish census,of 1901-1911..thanks for the info,. regards,..christy..

Back