• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for grave

bigland

knowlegable brummie
I have a relative who died in 1898 at the time he was living in King Edward 's Road, can anyone tell me where he could have been buried. Many Thanks

Last edited:

batmadviv

master brummie
I think a lot of records are kept at Handsworth Cemetery but you need to go armed with as much information as possible. It costs several £s to get written information.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Birmingham Central Library has all the main cemetries on microfilm for that period.

Maurice :cool:

W

Wendy

I have a relative who died in 1898 at the time he was living in King Edward 's Road, can anyone tell me where he could have been buried. Many Thanks

If you let me have the name and rough date of death I will look at Warstone Lane and Key Hill Cemeteries.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi there
i will have to agree with wendy on the case of being key hill warstone lane because i had a relative born in the roughly the same period and they lived in the courts of five ways
around that time and they was listed in central libary but also the person whom said handsworth cem is correct because i went to handsworth some years back to get the info of this relative and they charged me five pounds and they gave me a map and number for key hill and thats where they was burried so i say you can put your last pound on the bet
thats where you will find them and i may add the list was on file in central file draws in the libary but sadly i learnt they was an infant and burried in a public grave
so i recon thats where they will find them best of luck astonion

bigland

knowlegable brummie
Thank you all,
Wendy, thanks for your offer, his name was Alfred Pearce date of death 26 Sept 1898 age 42, he actually died from an accident at work, I have the coroners report which is most interesting

W

Wendy

I have checked Key Hill and Warstone Lane and sadly he was not there but at least you can discount these two cemeteries. A quick way to check can be newspaper obituaries as they sometimes mention where the burial will take place. Good luck with your search.

bigland

knowlegable brummie
Many thanks Wendy, as you say I now know it isn't those two & I also know it isn't Lodge Hill, so back to the drawing board!!

Shortie

master brummie
Yardley, if my memory serves me right was Worcestershire in those days, so that would not be the right place except in very particular circumstances. Witton would probably be the most likely. Quite a few cemeteries were not opened until after 1900.