• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for details of George Baker

Gary

Hi,
I feel very privileged to be here as I was really made aware of "Brummingin" when I stayed with my grandparents in my young days. I even saw George Formby live in Auckland, NZ on stage probably about 1947-9. I am trying real hard to find marriage details of my great-grandfather George Baker, b 1815, d 1895. Lived at The Grove, Grove Lane, Handsworth and was a wireworker employing 125 odd persons. His wife was Mary Ann. I really would like to know her maiden name, and whether she was Georges 2nd wife. (Old family chatter seems to indicate that it did occur) My grandfather was the youngest son - Walter Athol Baker who married Mary Jane (Sadler or so I was told, but I would like to know if this is correct as I found a marriage register that stated her name was Griffiths) Then he emmigrated to Auckland, NZ in 1924 with my mum and two of her six brothers. Apparently my mother used to visit father Sadler and Aunty Florrie (Sadler) during her younger years up until she was about 14 (1922). The father Sadler was a coal merchant near a canal with lots of horses. My wife and I would really like to solve thess mysteries as all those with knowledge have all passed on. If all that is impossible I would appreciate any stories from that era to pass on to our family.
Cheers and Thanks
Gary and Kristine Ross (Brisbane, Australia)

In 1854 O/N/D a George Baker married a Mary Baker in Aston.
Wonder if this is them?

Date would fit with the birth of the first child.

George Baker

Hi Gary
Welcome to the forum, we are a friendly lot and you will find lots of help and information about Birmingham and help with your family history.

As you have such an interesting ancestor who was a master wireworker and who employed many workers you may like to post a look up request on one of the directory pages of the forum and also explore the main sites.

I think the theory of George being married twice is true because on the 1861 Census RG09 piece 2019 folio 108 page 26 in the St Marys district of Handsworth in what looks like Thorn Hill Soho Street (this is not clearly written) George Baker can be found aged 46 with a son also named George aged 20 years old with a wife named Mary Ann aged 29 years old so I think your theory is proved.

The census info is as follows:

George Baker age 46 head master wireworker born Birmingham Warks
Mary ann Baker age 29 wife born Birmingham Warks
George Baker age 20 son born Birmingham
William Baker age 5 son born Birmingham
Harry Baker age 4 son born Birmingham
Frederick Baker age 3 son born Handsworth Staffs
Ann baker age 11 months daug born Handsworth Staffs

As William is aged 5 I then looked for a marriage for George to a Mary Ann and found one in June Qtr 1855 District Birmingham, volume 6d page 3 and the bride looks like a Mary Ann Skipp, but in view of Mrs T previous posting I think it may be hard to pin down the exact and right marriage entry so I think first you need to get Walters birth certificate which will give you his mothers maiden name and then look for the second marriage.

You can obtain a marriage certificate for £7 sterling and the Birmingham registry office does operate an on line ordering system and you can pay by credit card www.birmingham.gov.uk/registeroffice.bcc

Apart from the marriage certificate the other way to find the mothers maiden name is through a birth cerificate or sometimes a baptism.

Walter Athol Baker birth registration is June Qtr 1874 West bromwich district volume 6b page 776. If you want the cerificate you can e-mail the West bromwich registry office for details on registrars_westbromwich @sandwell.gov.uk

In the absence of finding a marriage for George Snr's first marraige the son George was born c1840 and finding the birth details of him will give you the first wifes maiden name. As there are qite a few Baker names in Birmingham you may need to do some more further research before settling on a birth certificate to purchase for George jnr.

Births
March Qtr 1840 George Frederick Baker Birmingham vol 16 page 257
Dec Qtr 1840 George Baker Birmingham Vol 16 page 234
Dec Qttr 1840 George Thomas Baker Vol 16 page 314

I hope that this has taken you a bit further forward in your research.

Last edited:
George Baker

Hi Gary
Welcome to the forum, we are a friendly lot and you will find lots of help and information about Birmingham and help with your family history.

As you have such an interesting ancestor who was a master wireworker and who employed many workers you may like to post a look up request on one of the directory pages of the forum and also explore the main sites.

I think the theory of George being married twice is true because on the 1861 Census RG09 piece 2019 folio 108 page 26 in the St Marys district of Handsworth in what looks like Thorn Hill Soho Street (this is not clearly written) George Baker can be found aged 46 with a son also named George aged 20 years old with a wife named Mary Ann aged 29 years old so I think your theory is proved.

The census info is as follows:

George Baker age 46 head master wireworker born Birmingham Warks
Mary ann Baker age 29 wife born Birmingham Warks
George Baker age 20 son born Birmingham
William Baker age 5 son born Birmingham
Harry Baker age 4 son born Birmingham
Frederick Baker age 3 son born Handsworth Staffs
Ann baker age 11 months daug born Handsworth Staffs

As William is aged 5 I then looked for a marriage for George to a Mary Ann and found one in June Qtr 1855 District Birmingham, volume 6d page 3 and the bride looks like a Mary Ann Skipp, but in view of Mrs T previous posting I think it may be hard to pin down the exact and right marriage entry so I think first you need to get Walters birth certificate which will give you his mothers maiden name and then look for the second marriage.

You can obtain a marriage certificate for £7 sterling and the Birmingham registry office does operate an on line ordering system and you can pay by credit card www.birmingham.gov.uk/registeroffice.bcc

Apart from the marriage certificate the other way to find the mothers maiden name is through a birth cerificate or sometimes a baptism.

Walter Athol Baker birth registration is June Qtr 1874 West bromwich district volume 6b page 776. If you want the cerificate you can e-mail the West bromwich registry office for details on registrars_westbromwich @sandwell.gov.uk

In the absence of finding a marriage for George Snr's first marraige the son George was born c1840 and finding the birth details of him will give you the first wifes maiden name. As there are qite a few Baker names in Birmingham you may need to do some more further research before settling on a birth certificate to purchase for George jnr.

Births
March Qtr 1840 George Frederick Baker Birmingham vol 16 page 257
Dec Qtr 1840 George Baker Birmingham Vol 16 page 234
Dec Qttr 1840 George Thomas Baker Vol 16 page 314

I hope that this has taken you a bit further forward in your research.
Ten years after, I hope this thread is still open. Anne Baker, 11 mo in 1861, married Matthias Watts, who founded the Birmingham Fair.

Back