• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

looking for any record of service william henry holmes

zena58

master brummie
hi
a lot of you will remember the posties plaque from lyns quest.
i am now looking for any service record of henry james holme's brother, william henry holmes. i have birth and death certificates for him 1887-1939 and have him on census records, i have him on electoral roles at his parents home 295 bolton road in 1920 and 1925. i also have him at the same address in 1918 and 1919 his service number is 9184 8 Bde R Scots Fus
but i cant find any other records for his military service
i use ancestry would anyone be able to look on find my past for me my membership ran out
thanks
zena

If WW1 records are not on Ancestry then it probably means they are amongst the records destroyed during WW2. I assume you found his medal card?
Janice

Here you are then. This is from Ancestry. I am not sure what the "roses and clasp" mean but I am sure someone will enlighten us both.

William Holmes.jpg
Janice

thank you both cant understand why those didnt come up on my search.

janice did i meet you at birmingham library a couple of years ago?????

hi zena...just going back to henry james holmes acting bomberder...i take it you have found his records of soldiers effects on ancestry...leaves his money to parents henry and mary ann ??

lyn

hi lynn yes think i have all henrys records. are you well?

janice the visit there was four of us we arranged it through genes reunited me jackie my friend a lady called janice and some ome called i think dinosaur it was the old library we had a good day
i will check the census
zena

checked the clasp and roses
it was awarded to soldiers who were under fire and operated within range of the enermy mobile artillery in france or belgium between 5 aug& 22 nov 1914
so another holmes brother at the front

This is the medal award roll for the 1914 star 1914 star medal roll.jpg william was most likely a regular soldier at the outbreak of the war part of the B.E.F also Known as the Old Contemptible,s. Michael.

hi lynn yes think i have all henrys records. are you well?

janice the visit there was four of us we arranged it through genes reunited me jackie my friend a lady called janice and some ome called i think dinosaur it was the old library we had a good day
i will check the census
zena

hi zena all pretty steady here thanks hope you and the family are ok....ps dont for our summer meet up on the 22nd be lovely to see you again...

lyn

Back