• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pump Tavern Montague Street

mossg

master brummie
Had a drink with a old pal yesterday,we were talking about pubs in old Aston.I mentioned a pub that used to be in the area just behind the King Edward & Church Tavern,in the Sutherland Street,Waterworks Street area,the name escapes me but The Pump rings a bell.My mate doesnt remember a boozer in this area.I'm sure i drank there in the early 70s.Can anyone help please.
Maurice.

Had a drink with a old pal yesterday,we were talking about pubs in old Aston.I mentioned a pub that used to be in the area just behind the King Edward & Church Tavern,in the Sutherland Street,Waterworks Street area,the name escapes me but The Pump rings a bell.My mate doesnt remember a boozer in this area.I'm sure i drank there in the early 70s.Can anyone help please.
Maurice.

It's the Pump Tavern, it's mentioned on the Astonbrook through Astonmanor site.

Thanks Frothblower,I knew I hadn't dreamt it.But I cant find anything on Astonbrook through Aston Manor.
Maurice.

The Pump Tavern Was On The Corner Of Sutherland Street And Montague Street,aston, Was Only A Small Pub, Used It Quite A Lot In The 60s.

Lived in Sutherland St, Popular Grove remember well the 'Pump Tavern,Rudders wood yard,Purcells corner shop,Elder brother lived in Montague St, I think the Street was blessed with about three shops during my years as stated Purcells,Sandford's and Lily Archers shop corner of Montague St and Sutherland St, the mission hall was across the main Lichfield Rd next to the Coal Merchants.
I did attend Aston Hall Rd school Infants,Juniors and seniors and left at the grand old age of 14 to work at the Hercules cycle factory Aston Cross Joined the Royal Marines in 1947 went on to serve 25 years,and now like most of the old Astonite's now in exile in the flat lands of Lincolnshire.Aye JR

At last someone from that side of Aston station, as I stated in my last post that side of Aston station seems to be neglected. Do you have any photos of the area? It would be great to see some. Do you remember the fire at Rudders wood yard?

Sorry! I have been searching for photographs of the area but it would appear nothing found,come to think about it I cant remember anyone owning a camera from my era,Rudders wood yard fire I can remember some talk about it and men braving the fire to get to the horses stables.
As stated I left the area in 1947 went back again in 1950 nothing had changed still the tight knit community it allways was, I lived at No 6 Popular Grove Can remember a few names but now age doth weary me and this forum takes me way back to the days of hard knocks but put me in good stead for the years ahead,It was hard it was fun we managed to overcome,still thats the 'Brummie' way of life.aye JR

James, there is a site about Aston called Astonbrook-through-Astonmanor.co.uk, it contains a wealth of photographs, stories and an index of street-names, including lists of names of people who lived there in 1920. I include a small sample of names from the lists.View attachment 44113

I am looking for a photo taken in 1936 of a group of people who have either been on a day trip or celebrating King Edwards coronation,or something along them lines, it was taken either in Sutherland Street or Montague Street by the Pump public house, The photo was printed in the Carl Chinn's Evening Mail column 10 years or more ago....on the photo there is a lady holding a baby, that baby is my aunt who will be 78 this year, I would like to get a copy so I can either print it off or just show it her, and her family......this is a long shot but maybe someone may have a copy of Carl Chinn's papers ....Thank you .... John

hi aston lad although i have given loads away i still have quite a few old copies left so i will find some time to go through them for you..it is a long shot but you never know.. somewhere in the back of my mind i am thinking that i have seen this photo or maybe posted it on the forum and if i did it would most likely have been lost when the forum was hacked..but dont give up..fingers crossed..
:encouragement:
lyn

Last edited:
The only picture that I can remember on the forum of the Pump tavern on the corner of Montague Street, was one taken inside, I would love to see this picture if it turns up, it would bring back lots of memories of my childhood.

hello john on your behalf i contacted carl to see if he could help finding this photo..unfortunately to date he can not locate it but if it does turn up he will most certainly forward it onto me...so our search goes on..as said in my earlier post i will try and find some time to go through my old copies...here is carls reply...

lyn
Hello Lyn
I have made a full search of my data base (which has over 40,000 photos on
it) but unfortunately I have no trace of this particular photo; in fact I
have no photos at all for either Sutherland Street or Montague Street. Over
the last ten years I have made sure that I have copies of all the photos
that have appeared in my Birmingham Mail articles - and the overwhelming
number come either from my own archive or have been sent to me at the Mail
and have been passed ion to me for scanning and return. Before that many
photos for my articles were sent in by readers to the Mail but were scanned
at the Mail and although I was told about them and knew what they were about
I was never given copies. It is likely that photo could be one of those
photos. If ever I do come across such a photo I will let you know
immediately.

I am sorry that I cannot help john as I would so happily if I could.

Best wishes

Carl

Hi Lyn, Thank you very much for your help and for contacting Carl.....I knew its a long shot but you never know, someone may have had a copy, and please thank Carl for searching, I know what it is like to search through 40,000 + photo's....Thank you again John

john im only too happy to help..i also know what its like trawling though thousands of photos lol...i have already sent thanks to carl..like i said earlier dont give up just yet..

lyn

I have left another message regarding this subject on B,ham forum. I'm after an old photo which appears in one of Carl Chinns books. Our Brum Volume2. It's of Reginald Upson with his brothers bike. Corner of Webster and Parliament Streets, Aston. Behind him is my Nans old shop which later became my aunts Cissies shop. McHugh family. My mum has passed away now but she wrote her memoirs before leaving us and I'm putting together a small book for our family. I live in South Australia, was born in Aston 1951. I remember the old Aston well but my children have no idea what it was like. I'd really appreciate any.

Wendy I have that photo....I will sort it out as soon as I can ....Apart from this brilliant forum, John Houghton and myself have a facebook page dedicated to Aston.....its called, Astonbrook-through -Aston Manor, also John Houghton has a website of the same name....

Wendy I have that photo....I will sort it out as soon as I can ....Apart from this brilliant forum, John Houghton and myself have a facebook page dedicated to Aston.....its called, Astonbrook-through -Aston Manor, also John Houghton has a website of the same name....
Thank you, I'll have a look

Back