• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking for a New Laptop

N

Neville Philpott

I am in the market for a new laptop, my old one (this one) is not behaving itself and will be retired.

A difficult question perhaps, but anyone have any particular recommendations?

thanks in advance..

HP have good selection from £199 to over £2,000. You get to choose what you like rather than what retail outlets push. * In most instances you are stuck with Windows, but you can get pc's with no operating system and install your own such as Linux.
Some manufacturers have discontinued models at good prices: my SONY VAIO, bought in 2012, was half the current price. It was a discontinued colour (white), but that was not important to me.
Then of course there re re-furbished models at lower prices. Whatever you choose buy from a reliable source and pay by Credit Card (assuming you have one of course ;)).
* You can always see what is on offer by browsing at retail stores then see if you can get a better deal.

I bought a refurbished tv from Panasonic two years ago. It is still going. It came with a year guarantee. A new model, the same, but more expensive also came with just a one year guarantee.
You pays your money and takes a chance.

My Dell Inspiron 5770 laptop, 17" screen, SSD+1TB HDD, fingerprint log-in, DVD drive, full-size keyboard, and i5 CPU, plus the 50" Sony TV behind it, photographed using an iPhone I7 were all bought at Currys/PC World. Specifications well researched before I bought them to get exactly what I wanted ... :grinning:
xIMG_x0691.JPG
Showing Win 10 Start on Screen

i bought a hp laptop last week from argus. it is a good machine but the keyboard is american some of the keys are in the wrong place.
ENVY x360 15-AQ101NA laptop
1598373768678.png

I am in the market for a new laptop, my old one (this one) is not behaving itself and will be retired.

thanks in advance..

Neville, you could put a solid state drive in your old one. I did that with mine and it goes like a bomb now.

yes but the layout is strange,the backslash is in a dif position. they said if i return it they will exchange it.
for a uk one.its ok with an ex keyboard, but that defeats the object lol
so just thought I would say check before buying.
I'm surprised that Argos would sell a computer in the UK with a USA keyboard. I would take up their exchange offer. However, I notice you have two 'Win' keys ... my laptop only has one ... :cool:

The keyboard is an American model, changing settings will not alter its appearance.
Settings can be changed but I would either ask for a UK keyboard or buy one, they are cheap enough.
There are on some auction type sites some non UK keyboards being bundled with their offers. You need to read the small print sometimes. But Argus should not be offering something like that keyboard, unless specified by the purchaser.

I'm surprised that Argos would sell a computer in the UK with a USA keyboard. I would take up their exchange offer. However, I notice you have two 'Win' keys ... my laptop only has one ... :cool:
I can't get used to it phil. it has to go back. that's what becomes of being inpatient.and buying the first thing you see.

Regarding Neville's original question

It depends on how much you want to spend ...
What do you mainly use it for?
Do you want to carry it around - light or heavy laptop ...
Size of keyboard -
Number of connection sockets etc ..

thanks in advance..
Have a look at Laptops Direct and Laptop Outlet. Plenty there but I would not recommend Toshiba

Dell Outlet is an interesting site (it is an official Dell site).

Here they sell old stock, returned items etc but I think they also sell "new" items if they have a backlog in their warehouse.

I have bought numerous Dell desktops and laptops from there for me and my family and they have all been pretty much new when they arrived.

Here is a link to the site, so you will need to "drill down" to Laptops to just look at the laptops.

Note part of the site is laptops for home or laptops for work. Make sure the price includes VAT as while the "home" section includes VAT in the price I think the "work" section does not show the price with VAT.

As OldMohawk says above, lots to consider with buying a laptop.

You can buy small light laptops with 13" or 14" screen, or mid size laptops with 15.6" screen, and also large laptops with 17" screen.

The laptops with 17" screen are great due to large screen size but you may not want to lug it around a lot.

Also get one with a decent CPU (an Intel i3, or better an i5, or maybe an AMD Ryzen which are getting good reviews).

Also make sure you get a HD screen (with 1080 resolution rather than 768 resolution)

If you can let us know the price you wish to pay and maybe the "spec" we can give more advice

On the Dell Outlet site I mentioned above there is an excellent 17" laptop if anyone has got about £600 to spend.

I wont post a link to it as things are sold very quickly on that Dell site so it may be gone soon (you can buy it new from the normal Dell site at over £700).

Just go to the Dell Outlet site and drill down in to the laptops. At the moment there are two available. Though one is "scratch and dent" most people find there is no damage to the laptop when they get it. The other is refurbished.

The laptop is an Inspiron 17” 3000 (3793)

Excellent specs:

>>Intel Core 10th Generation i5-1035G1 Processor

Above, this is the CPU which is an i5 (good!) and 10th generation (latest from Intel)

>>8GB (1x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC

Above, 8Gb of memory which is enough for most people doing general office work.

>> 128GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 35 Solid State Drive

Above, this is a 128GB SSD, but it is a "special " SSD called a NVMe which are extra fast because of their design features. Windows would go on this SSD.

>> 1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

Above, as well as the 128GB SSD it also comes with a 1TB hard drive.

>> NVIDIA GeForce MX230 2GB GDDR5

Above, this is a graphics card.

This is a powerful high spec laptop, and I know £600 is a lot of money, though there are plenty of other laptops on that site from £280 upwards.

i am hoping my HP lappy lasts me a few more years...its set just the same as the day i had it..ive added nothing to it as i dont need to...my internet needs are basic and the storage for my thousands of photos is adequate..

Neville, one place you can look for laptop deals (in fact any sort of deals) is a website called "HotUKDeals"

Anyone (any member of the public) can publish details of a deal, and then people can "vote" on it to decide if it is a hot deal or not.

Here is the web site in the "Laptop" section. At the top of the page you can click on "New" to get the new deals, or "Hot" to get the hot deals.

Below, here is the "home" page where you can see all deals. You can then "drill down" to get specific deals on whatever product you are interested in

Thank you for the additional suggestions, not got far in making a final selection except that i have decided
to do without a built in CD/DVD drive and buy that as a seperate.

Just one extra thought - some of the smaller laptops don't have a numerical keypad - a pain if you're used to using that rather than the top row of the keyboard!

My laptop (see #6) has a numerical keypad and I can’t remember ever pressing a key on it. I use the laptop in the house and always have a wireless mouse connected - can’t stand trackpads even though all laptops have them.

Never used the numerical keypad myself either. In fact I had to think for a moment if I had one !!

Back