• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Looking for a Birmingham Cemetry

B

Booyaa

Good evening all, I was wondering if anyone knew of a cemetry that used to be on Livery Street? Possibly on the corner of where Livery Street currently meets Great Charles Street Queensway.

I have heard a story of an old quaker burial ground somewhere between Livery Street and Bull Street (on an old road called Monmouth Road or Street) but I think there may be another one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Booya  I know exactly were you mean just of  Bull St Behind the Old Lewis's

Jennyann I have been down that road for the cemetery posted about and no joy

It's often like the never ending trail Crom. Hopefully, something else will turn up to help you out in your endeavour.

Jennyann I have come to the conclusion that in the 17th 18th 19th centuries if ya had money ya grave was recorded and made of marble to last but the poor folk if they were not Quakers which most were not, graveyards were built over and not recorded, did it matter in them days.......did they think that some person in the future would want to know where they were buried....I don't think so.
Hard to believe but my father's grave is allready grassed over, but it has been recorded and thats just in my lifetime....

Quaker Burial Ground Bull Street

The Friends Meeting House in Bull Street was built in 1703 to replace the earlier Newhall Lane House. It was enlarged in 1778 and 1792, and in 1856-7 was totally rebuilt. The remains of 72 graves from the Monmouth Street burial ground, were reinterred here following the Great Western Railway Company's purchase of that site. In 1966 during the course of redevelopment in the city centre, a number of graves were excavated, and thr remains interrred in Lodge Hill Cemetery. This is an extract from a book called In the Midst Of Life a history of the burial grounds of Birmingham by Joseph McKenna available from Birmigham Library.

Back