• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Look Up Please

robert

master brummie
could anyone have a look on the 1871 census please for James Rowles b1869 Eccles lancashire. Thanks. Robert.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi rob..i can only find one james rowles born 1869 but in winton lancashire not eccles..do you know who his parents were

lyn

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Robert, sometimes people put down on the census where they grew up rather than where they were born. I spent ages looking for a family member who said he was born in Hatton on all the censuses, only to find, after quite some time, that he was born in Wellesbourne-Hastings. Not too far away but definitely not Hatton.

robert

master brummie
Hi Lyn and Pen, James father was Peter or Sometimes John His mother was Mary b county clare
Rob.

robert

master brummie
Thank you Pen Thats the right family, But what i should have stated was i was looking for the address. The information i have collected on James over the years has him being born in Barton upon irwell,patricroft, Winton and salford as well as Eccles.
Robert

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Robert, what dawned on me the other day was that if the enumerator came to the house when the parents were out then the children would've answered the questions surely. I came to this conclusion when I had a list of 'where born' answered as 'don't know' when they had known on previous censuses. Frustrating!
My 3 x great grandfather gives Kinver as his birthplace but no trace of him can be found. Another brick wall.

robert

master brummie
Thanks Jukebox, I have the infomation from the census returns from 1851 to 1911 for james but have lost the address of the 1871 census and the 1891 census. This man really moved about. From 1871 untill 1891 he remaned in the Salford (Manchester) area, then after that he moved around Birmingham, Walsall, Worcester and then back to Birmingham. Could you find his address in 1891.He was living with one of his sisters, his surname was misspelt instead of Rowles is was roubes or something simular, it maay have been put right by now. Thanks again Robert.

robert

master brummie
Pen, I know how you feel, Re my post to Juke box. My grandmothers family name was Veness, but on the 1891 census they are called Smith.

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
It 1891 James appears to be living at 4 Wade Street, Barton upon Irwell. Members of the household were Mary Gregory, widow, age 30 (Head); Adam Gregory, son age 10; James Rowles, brother age 22 (presumably Mary's brother?), a sister age 18 whose name I can't read (Sus....? Rowles) and Peter Rowles, brother age 14. Hope this helps. John

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Jukebox, I think the relation column always applies to how they are related to the 'Head' whoever that is. It's caused me confusion in the past when the head isn't what I'm looking for, as in this case.

robert

master brummie
Thanks Jukebox, Yes you are right she is James brother and the sister you cant read is susanna . Thanks very much a great help. Robert