• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

look up please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
could i have a look up please on the 1901...thomas checketts with family at bellbarn road birmingham..the swan inn....im just trying to find out if they had a son william aged about 5..if they didnt i am looking to see where william lived..he would have been born abt 1896
many thanks

lyn

Last edited:

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The census gives charles A boot as at the Swan (though 1900 Kellys lists it as Thomas Alma Boot). William & Thomas Checketts are at 1 back of 19 Rann St. I will send you the page

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks mike i know the checketts ran the swan in 1911...have you found william aged about 5 then on the 1901 .

cheers mike..

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ok mike ive got the email..not sure if its him yet but ive saved it just in case..

thanks mike much obliged..

lynne webb

master brummie
Lyn, William is down as Willie at 115 Digbeth, a public house, with father Harry and mother Minnie, Minnies maiden name was Roberts the same as Mrs Doyles. I would think Maud and Minnie are sisters.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks lynne thats great..its all fitting in now and at long last i am beginning to find out how our dads mom was taken in by complete strangers at the age of 8 months old..need to find out the name of the pub at 115 digbeth now..

lyn

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lyn
No 115 Digbeth was the Beehive Tavern, a beerhouse. According to McKenna it was painted in 1872 by A. Tarlington, a local artist . It was apparently a "curious tall narrow building with bow windows either side of a central door", three stories in height, but only one central bow window on upper floors." can't find any reference to A. Tarlington on the net
mike

Di.Poppitt

master brummie
I've got six framed prints of watercolours by A Tarlington, they were being sold in the Library shop about 20 years go. He painted lots of local scenes, the originals are held by the Library, none of my prints are of The Beehive Taven but I don't know how many of the originals they hold.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks mike and di for the info..i must make some enquires to see if i can find the painting of the beehive by tarlington..oh and thank you mike for the discription of it...

cheers

lyn