• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

look up please

lindyloo

master brummie
Hi
Did he have a brother Joseph Charles? If so I think I have found a newspaper report mentioning Luther and Joseph in 1900.

regards
Suzanne

Hi Suzanne, please can you tell me where you found the newspaper report and if they possibly cover later years..I'm looking for 1953

smtr

master brummie
Hi Suzanne, please can you tell me where you found the newspaper report and if they possibly cover later years..I'm looking for 1953

Hi
Birmingham Central Library have newspapers on line. You just need your library card to access them. The Times goes up to about 1985 but the area covering Birmingham is only up to about 1900? You would have to go to the library I think to see later years.

Suzanne

carolina

master brummie
Hi lyn had a look on this for you and found a marr for these Joseph Holyoak and Mary Ann Bidgood it was Mar Qaut 1860 in Bridgewater, so in all probability the Children showing on 1861 Census would have had a different birth name. There is also listed on Ancestry for Mary Ann Holyoak at Somerset Asises 2 terms of Imprisonment, in 1863 and also 1867. she was in prison on the 1871 Census in Surrey. I have only got a basic Ancestry sub so perhaps someone can check these Prison terms for you. Alan.

Hi Lynn, I have found Mary Ann Holyoak convicted at Wells, Somerset on Larceny Simple, before conviction of felony. Felony is 3 and Laceny penal service 7yrs. I am trying to download it for you but I am struggling. Carol

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi carolina thanks ever so much...stop stuggling lol...as i do have those 2 convictions pages already...what a long sentence that was..will keep you informed of any new info i get on this family i think we are getting there slowly...

lyn

smtr

master brummie
Lyn

I've found the 1868 newspaper article about Mary Ann:) Do you want me to post it here?

Suzanne

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
oh yes please suzanne i would like lynne webb to see it also...

thank you so much...:)

smtr

master brummie
Here you go Lyn. Taken from The Bristol Mercury reporting on the Somerset Spring Assizes dated Sat April 11 1868.

smtr

master brummie
Lyn you might not be able to read it:( It wouldn't let me upload an enlarged version on here.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Lyn you might not be able to read it:( It wouldn't let me upload an enlarged version on here.[/QUOTE

ive tried saving it and then tried to zooming in suzanne but it just gets blurier:(...afraid i am not technical enough to put it right ..if anyone can help that would be great..

lyn

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
ok..if not i wonder if it will make a difference if you email it to me...will im you my address...

lyn

smtr

master brummie
It's ok Lyn. I have emailed you with it. Can't understand why it is too large as I have attached newspaper clippings before?

Here's the wording for those eager to see:)

Somerset Spring Session
Mary Ann Holyoak, 29, labourer, was indicted for stealing ten yards of cloth, value £5, the property of Charles Orledge, draper, of the Market Place, Shepton Mallet. The prisoner was found guilty as several former convictions were admitted by her she was sentenced to seven years' penal servitude.

Suzanne

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
7 years for that....crikey...i wonder what she stole the 3 times before then in 1863 would that be in the papers i wonder....suzanne please dont worry about the newspaper clipping as we know what it says...you have been so kind to find this out for me i do appreciate it...

lyn