• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Look Up Please Weldon

Laurence Breakwell

knowlegable brummie
Hi, could you help me find the 1871 census for my GT Grandmother Elizabeth Weldon born circa 1849 only known address Ledsam Street. Father Patrick Weldon. I can't find anything on her myself. I have attached a copy of her wedding certificate.
Thanks Laurence

Attachments

MWS

master brummie
There is an Elizabeth Weldon on the 1861 census, living with her sister and brother in law. There's also a birth registration in Birmingham 1849 for an Elizabeth Wheldon. Apart from that nothing atm.

If the census turns out to be her then her sister emigrated to New Jersey.

Also I wouldn't put too much faith in the address, quite a few people lie so they can get married in the parish.

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
there was an weldon business at a house in pitford street hockly wich is only a mile away from ledsam street
could be family conections best wishes Alan , Astonian;;

MWS

master brummie
In 1871 on familysearch she's listed as Elizabeth Delton, living with John and Bridget Collins. Bridget appears to be Elizabeth' sister.

She's Elizabeth Velton on Ancestry & findmypast.

I assume the John Collins living with Philip & Elizabeth in 1911 is the above.

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
Bridget does give her father's name as Michael though.

In 1851 the family is listed as Wildon/Waldon in Birmingham - mother Elizabeth, 6 daughters and 4 lodgers.

Laurence Breakwell

knowlegable brummie
Excellent work all its starting to make sence, thanks. Collins is mentioned in the family memorabilia and appear to be from Manchester. Elizabeth in every census after her marriage says she was born in Birmingham.

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
Quite tricky to follow the family, Weldon is spelt a number of ways. In 1841 they appear to be listed as Veilden and both Catherine and Bridget are registered as Veldon for their marriages.

Not sure if Elizabeth listing her father as Patrick implies anything or it's just a mistake, maybe a little confusion with her husband's father.

Laurence Breakwell

knowlegable brummie
Screenshot_20180422-085143.png
there was an weldon business at a house in pitford street hockly wich is only a mile away from ledsam street
could be family conections best wishes Alan , Astonian;;
In 1871 on familysearch she's listed as Elizabeth Delton, living with John and Bridget Collins. Bridget appears to be Elizabeth' sister.

She's Elizabeth Velton on Ancestry & findmypast.

I assume the John Collins living with Philip & Elizabeth in 1911 is the above.
Quite tricky to follow the family, Weldon is spelt a number of ways. In 1841 they appear to be listed as Veilden and both Catherine and Bridget are registered as Veldon for their marriages.

Not sure if Elizabeth listing her father as Patrick implies anything or it's just a mistake, maybe a little confusion with her husband's father.
How perculiar, I suppose I've got to get hold of her birth certificate to move on with any confidence.

Last edited: