• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Look up please - ROUTLEY - St Martins

Dave C

master brummie
I have a William Routley born about 1806 (that surname is often misspelt) married to a Phoebe Newsom in 1851 at St. Martins Parish Church Birmingham.

Now I already have their marriage certificate but I know the William was a widower previously married to a Mary, possibly in the same Church as I know that he and Mary were in Milk Street in 1841.

I would really like to see that marriage certificate but unfortunately the range of dates could be anything between 1820 and 1841. Are look ups over this period impractical?

Dave

Dave I checked the CD's for all ROUTLEY and close spellings but there was no earlier marriage.
These are sad but I thought may be of interest.
Burials
1851 Nov 16 Phoebe Marie Routley age 15weeks abode Milk Street.
1853 Jan 11 Isaac Routley age 7 weeks abode Milk Street
1853 Feb 6 Abraham Routley 11 weeks abode Milk Street
1855 March 4 Enos John Routley 8 months abode Pickford Street.

thanks Wendy

although I was aware of these events its good to have the exact dates and places, and also confirm that this is where the twins in our family come from.
It is also very sad and backs up other evidence I have in my own family history from the mid Victorian period about the real impact of disease and accidents, especially in overcrowded and poorer areas.

Could I ask you about the CDs? I have been using the various on-line resources (paid for and free), but is it worth buying the various census and Parish Record CDs. I have quite a lot of family in central Birmingham during the 19th and 20th centuries. Sorry if this is off topic but any advice appreciated.

Thanks again for the look up.

Dave Carr
Researching Carr, Lacey, Martin, Routley, Newsom, Woodward and Matthews

The CD's are published by BMSGH and they can be bought separatley or a full set. Put BMSGH in google and there on line shop will tell you what they have. Not cheap but I thought it would help people on the site and, some have purchased them because of what I have found.

Hi my gt,gt,grandad is William Routley. married to Mary they had 2 sons Wm 1839 and Harry Henry 1849 Mary died in 1850 . William married Phoebe newsom in 1851 . St martins . I have been trying to find out where William came from Bagbough keeps coming up in his census . He was a coal dealer 1832=1872 he died in work house in Erdington . Would love to find out more His son wm. William wasn’t living with with his dad or phoebe Harry in 1851 milk st . Any help would be great full .

Back