• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Look up for John Pugh please.

lynne webb

master brummie
Could someone kindly look for John Pugh b.abt 1826,Ireland,his wife was Alice. Ive found 5 children for them.Robert b 1850, Sarah Ann b 1852,Mary b.1855, Arthur b 1857 and Bridget b 1859. Ive also found some deaths for the names of some of the children but the ages were not recorded. I know that Robert survived childhood but I dont know about the others.All of these children will be on the 1861 census if they are alive..I hope this makes sense to someone and they can help me to find them. Thank you.
Lynne.

Shera

true brummie
was it in 1861 you wanted lynne? they were in london prentice? (or something similar) street, bham

john pugh 37 cooper and packing case maker b. ireland
alice pugh 32 b. ireland
robert pugh 10 b. bham
mary pugh 5 b.bham
bridget pugh 1 b.bham
catherine mcmanus 19 niece spoon polisher b. ireland
patrick kelly 22 lodger nail cutter b. ireland
michael moran 22 lodger nail cutter b. ireland
francis loftus? 21 lodger nail cutter b. ireland
peter loftus? 19 lodger nail cutter b. wolverhampton

lynne webb

master brummie
Thanks so much Shera, that is them, I'm trying to find the other 4 children, Ive found Robert in New York on the 1880 census with his family and a sister Alice, but I cant find a birth for her. Anyway thanks so much for taking the time to look for me.
Lynne.

Shera

true brummie
in 1871 in norton st. kings norton, i wonder if this is bridget

charles hawker 28 electroplate polisher b. worc.
catherine hawker 28 spoon polisher b. nottingham
charles hawker 6 b.bham
sarah a hawker 1 b. bham
bridget pugh 11 cousin b.bham

lynne webb

master brummie
That could be Bridget but i dont know who these people are, maybe they just took her in and called her a cousin. Oh Shera,what I would give to have a straight forward one. Thank you once again,
Lynne.

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Straightforward family history puzzle? Hmmmm. Interesting thought. Sometimes it would be nice but one more thought....

How boring:)

Jill

lynne webb

master brummie
Jill, I wouldn't want it to be easy, that would be boring, but just to find one who's not confusing would be nice. I am so grateful to the people who are so willing and able to help point me in the right direction.

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
I know what you mean Lynne. A few weeks ago I had a bit of a whinge on here about lies and deception. I was so frustrated at every turn and questioned if any of my lot ever told the truth about anything right down to my own parents. I've got two in my tree who didn't even marry under the name they were born with. One was my grandmother and I only spotted she married under a different name by chance. No one looking for her birth based on the name she married under would have found her except by chance. And the secrets!!!! Hubby's lot seem to have been much easier. I look and they are there.

I love it on here that someone poses a question and we all pile straight in. I sometimes find it more interesting than my own tree because it is new and a different challenge.

Jill

lynne webb

master brummie
Oh Jill I know what you mean about names, I had a Louisa,she was Lally on the census and her death name was Lulu, how am i supposed to find her,but I did after months of searching. I'm amazed how quick you all find these people, it makes me feel thick but I love reading them all.

LawAndOrderFan

master brummie
Sometimes you spend so much time and brain power looking for someone, you no longer see what you are looking for. I never knew about Amy Wassall until I saw her as a witness on my maternal grandmother's marriage cert. The grandmother is the one who married under a different name. Neither the female parent or my aunt recognised her or even knew of her existance. It was in the days before stuff was available on computer. The LDS were in the process of introducing standalone computers with discs containing the information - I became very close to the lady who set it up at the centre in Penns Lane, Sutton Coldfield. I put an ad on Channel Four in the Family History pages they had on Teletext at the time and was contacted by a lady who was doing the surname Wassall and variations as a One Name Study. She was able to give me the birth entries for Amy Wassall but nothing fitted. I had her signature on the marriage cert as a witness and because I spent every Thursday evening after work in the Central Library going through the films of the registers I had her brother's marriage certificate. Same father, same occupation but also her signature. Still nothing. I used to talk to her when I was at the dentist having treatement.

The breakthrough came after the release of the 1891 census. Someone in Birmingham had bought all the discs and indexed them. He charged so much per entry so I had all the Wassalls. I found her and I think that was it for a lot of years. At some point I bought her marriage cert and discovered she had married under a different name and her father was another name. This has led me to find out quite a bit but I'm still not quite sure how her Wassall family fits into mine. There must have been a close relationship that put her as a witness on my grandmother's marriage but for whatever reason it didn't continue. This is the link to the answer I gave to someone on here who asked about my Amy. My entry is 11th October. Sadly David Bibb doesn't seem to have come back to the forum so is maybe still looking for his Amy.
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12632&page=2&highlight=wassall

Don't ever think of yourself as thick. You are not and I won't let you think that you are. I am so happy that now I have been able to get access to the various records that I can find stuff. It's not always right and I totally confused myself earlier today but I love the challenge.

Jill