• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Look up for Hines-Randle

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
Hi,
i can't seem to trace my family beyond the 1881 census where they were living at Ct 4 House 4 Laurence or Lawrence st Gosta Green. In addition to this although the name was Hines Randle or Randall they only appear as Hines on the census for some reason. Henry Hines was born in Birmingham in 1835 and his wife Jane in 1844, They probably couldn't have been married in 61 but if you could find Henry i'd br grateful. The name Henry seems to run through the family,
thanks.

kaz

master brummie
Address: 17 Gullett, st marys ward, birmingham
Was he a snuffer maker?
Mother lace maker
george gun finisher
mary eyelet maker
and the other chap was the lodger

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
Address: 17 Gullett, st marys ward, birmingham
Was he a snuffer maker?
Mother lace maker
george gun finisher
mary eyelet maker
and the other chap was the lodger
Not sure, most of the family apperared to be hawkers, they used to sell fish off a barrow.

Shera

true brummie
in 1871 jane hines b.abt 1845 is a boarder in ladywood. she is married, a pen maker b.bham. her husband is not with her

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi shere
if my memory serves me rightly we research this family of hines about 18 mths ago if we check the archives on this forum we have got the hines listed so if any of our researcheres with access could crawl back over the archivesabout 12 -18 months i pretty sure it will turn up
astonian ;;

R

Randleswren

I know I am months out of date but just discovered this site, my Husband is Kenneth Hines-Randle born in summer lane 1929, his Father was Andrew H-R born 5.9.1902, grandfather also Andrew born 1877 and great grandfather Henry, believed to be born illegitemate and named Hines, but upon getting married, was told by the Vicar, that as his Father's name was Randle, that must be added to the Hines

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
Wow, thank's for that. My Grandmothers maiden name was Laura Hines Randall born 1900. Her fathers name was Henry born 1863 and he had a brother called Andrew born 1877, i think that's where the connection is. My nan also had a brother called Andrew,Andrew's and Henry's seem to run through the family and it gets confusing!. i think your husband and my dad must be second cousins. My Dad's family lived around Moland Street and Lawrence Street Gosta Green and they all seemed to be hawkers.

Brumgum.

R

Randleswren

Hello Pete, I posted a reply to you yesterday, but being new to this, think I have gone wrong somewhere, can you let me know when you get this and I will try again. thanks Margaret.

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
Hello Pete, I posted a reply to you yesterday, but being new to this, think I have gone wrong somewhere, can you let me know when you get this and I will try again. thanks Margaret.
Sorry but i didn't get any message yesterday. Did you used to live in Coleshill by any chance? and have you been in touch with my Dad before?,

Pete.

K

kerryh_r

I know I am months out of date but just discovered this site, my Husband is Kenneth Hines-Randle born in summer lane 1929, his Father was Andrew H-R born 5.9.1902, grandfather also Andrew born 1877 and great grandfather Henry, believed to be born illegitemate and named Hines, but upon getting married, was told by the Vicar, that as his Father's name was Randle, that must be added to the Hines
That's new to me Mum. I understood when Margaret traced it back, she went back as far as the late 1700's, and found someone living in Coleshill with the same spelling of the name.
Perhaps you could check, as I am not in touch with her, or indeed, in the country.

Brumgum said:
Did you used to live in Coleshill by any chance? and have you been in touch with my Dad before?
Indeed Pete. My uncle, aunt, one cousin and his family still live in Coleshill.
Some years ago, I took an interest in geneology, but we lived down in Cornwall at that point. It was pre internet, and difficult to get hold of information there. We were visiting Coleshill, and I was talking to the other cousin about it. Out of interest, we looked in the Birmingham telephone directory, and found other HR's we didn't know, that had never been in it before. This was probably around 15 years ago. Anyway, we spoke to them briefly then, and perhaps my aunt was in contact since.

My old man, or aunt are probably the best to get info from.
Over to you Mum.

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
That's new to me Mum. I understood when Margaret traced it back, she went back as far as the late 1700's, and found someone living in Coleshill with the same spelling of the name.
Perhaps you could check, as I am not in touch with her, or indeed, in the country.

Indeed Pete. My uncle, aunt, one cousin and his family still live in Coleshill.
Some years ago, I took an interest in geneology, but we lived down in Cornwall at that point. It was pre internet, and difficult to get hold of information there. We were visiting Coleshill, and I was talking to the other cousin about it. Out of interest, we looked in the Birmingham telephone directory, and found other HR's we didn't know, that had never been in it before. This was probably around 15 years ago. Anyway, we spoke to them briefly then, and perhaps my aunt was in contact since.

My old man, or aunt are probably the best to get info from.
Over to you Mum.
The plot thickens!, thank's for this. It would be nice to find out for definite.This information is interesting here..........

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27552&highlight=hines+randell

K

kerryh_r

Hi

I am a Hines-Randall. My grandparents were Ronald and Winifred Hines-Randall, they were originally from Birmingham. I am trying to find out a little more about my name and its origins, people always ask and I have no idea.
Have you got any dates, births, marriages, names of their parents, grandparents, your great aunts/uncles??

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
Have you got any dates, births, marriages, names of their parents, grandparents, your great aunts/uncles??
Hi Kerryh,
i've been in touch with Shines and it turns out their Grandfather was my Dads's cousin and i've sent some info on the family etc,
Brumgum.

K

kerryh_r

Hi Kerryh,
i've been in touch with Shines and it turns out their Grandfather was my Dads's cousin and i've sent some info on the family etc,
Brumgum.
Can you post it please brumgum? I'd like to slot it into our tree. I guess they are descended from your Great Uncle, and grandmother Laura's brother Andrew?
There can't be too many H-R's if we are descended from Richard Hines and Eliza/Hanna (Randell I guess?)