• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Look up for Frederick John Hood & Jane Hood please

laraine

master brummie
Looking for Frederick John Hood & wife Jane Hood on the 1851 census. Frederick b.1823 Worcestershire, married Jane Hooper in 1844, last known living on Wharf St Birmingham in Feb 1852. This is recorded on the death cert of Jane for that time. Frederick married again 2 months later to Eliza Harris in the April 1852. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Laraine

laraine

master brummie
Looking for Frederick John Hood & wife Jane Hood on the 1851 census. Frederick b.1823 Worcestershire, married Jane Hooper in 1844, last known living on Wharf St Birmingham in Feb 1852. This is recorded on the death cert of Jane for that time. Frederick married again 2 months later to Eliza Harris in the April 1852. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Laraine

Shera

true brummie
theres an 1851 census on ancestry which has been edited/corrected by someone.

the census reads

thomas hood (corrected to frederick john hood) born abt 1824 worc. shoemaker.
john wood . wife. (corrected to jane hood) b. abt 1822 worc.

also listed is harriet aged 7. B aged 4 and george hood 18 shoemaker. all living cheapside. bham.

obviously i have no idea if this is correct!

Last edited:

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
1861 trabscribed incorrectly as Wood/

Court 33, 171 High Street, Aston
John Hood age 35 b Worcs Cordwainer, (shoemaker)
Eliza age 33 b. Henley in arden Shoe binder
Harriett age 16
Eliza 9
William 20 months

This fits given a year or 2 in fathers age with Sheras find on 1851.

laraine

master brummie
Thanks Shera & Alberta I'm pretty sure they are the right family, I had come across the 1851 census before I had been confused with the B Hood & George Hood aged 18, they don't appear on a later census. I hadn't seen the 1861 but now I have they all fit in with what we already have. All we need to do now is find the birth for Eliza born about 1852, something we have been searching for for years & having trouble finding. If anyone could help on this one it would be appreciated.
best wishes
Laraine

MWS

master brummie
There's a couple of baptisms for an Eliza Hood on familysearch. One on 14 Apr 1852 and the other on 11 Jul 1852 both Bordesley, which I think comes under Aston. Don't know if either of those tie in with the above birth registration but neither have the correct parents.

MWS

master brummie
Also could Eliza have been born before they were married and registered as Harris?