• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Look at these drayman, wooden barrels and no gloves.

Stevehanson

master brummie
I remember sometimes getting through two pairs of gloves a day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 74
Those are nice photos Steve, always wondered how they manoeuvred the barrels down into the cellar. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's when the "Gaffer" of the Pub had to let the beer settle before "tapping" the barrel and serving it. Not like today with your instant brew.
jimbo

jimbo
Decent beer still needs to settle . It just that you can't get it at a lot of places

hi jimbo
the only way you get decent beer is if only the gaffer cleanes his pipes regular thats what makes a decent pint
with the real ale you do have to let it settle for a day ; before taping it that means putting in a bung meaning it allowed to breath
but the other stuff in the steel casked you do not have to wait and if you are pushed to a point where your pub is busy and you run out
you can put the new keg ; [ barrell on ] but when it comes through the pipes its bubbling pressure and you see what the bar person will say its lively
thats why and what courses it to be like that but you cannot do it with guiness ;you have to give it time to settle when you get your delivery
another remark i would like to say is that the cheap pints of lager are the out of date beer dated on the kegs by rights the gaffer should send it back if its out by a week to the brewery and gets his allowence but more often as well the draymen pass it through to another pub further down his delivery
this is hence one pound a pint ;of lager and you get alsorts of slopps inmixutere with it but you cannot mess with guiness
attempt to mess with the spear of the keg of guiness would kill you and explode or either go straight throgh your head the lager keggs can be messed with ; but not guiness like an old irish man whom i had for my celer man in one of my pubs years ago luckily the celler floor was sold concrete other wise it would have come through the floor and into the bar if you run a pub you would know of the scamms first hand ;
best wishes Astonian;;;;

Back