• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Longmeadow Girls School Shard End

i WAS AT lONGMEADOW GIRLS SCHOOL TOO. ABOUT 1965 ish.MY LAST TEACHER WAS MRS YOUNG.WE HAD MISS BREEZE FOR DRAMA,MRS ROBERTON FOR MATHS (WHAT A DRAGON ) MISS REYNOLDS FOR ART. DO YOU REMEMBER ANYONE CALLED PAT CORFIELD,JACKIE MITCHELL,ELAINE RICHARDS, CECILIA STEEL,ANGELA HIPKISS,JUNE PICKERING.I WOULD LOVE TO FIND ANYONE WHO KNEW US LOT
Yes I remembered u my name was Eileen blackham

Does anyone remember Longmeadow girls school, I was a pupil there in the late 50s/early 60s.Miss Featherstone was the headmistress and one of my teachers was a Mrs. Day.
My big sister Rita Baller was at long meadow about the same time as you

I lived in Hurst Lane North, Castle Bromwich in the 1960's. I didn't attend Longmeadow but I remember it well :)

Does anyone remember Longmeadow girls school, I was a pupil there in the late 50s/early 60s.Miss Featherstone was the headmistress and one of my teachers was a Mrs. Day.
Yes, I remember the school and Mis Featherstone. I was there from mid 60's to early 70's. Mr Babington was the science teacher, Mrs Brearley was the sewing teacher, Mrs Hall for home economics/cookery. I think Mrs Young took the place of Miss Featherstone, or she was her deputy. I don't recall a Mrs Day.

Angela,

I am a Group Scout Leader at the Scout Hut on Kendrick Avenue, this was right opposite your School.I am doing a project on the Yorks Wood Scout Campsite that closed down in 1972. Do you have memries of the camp-site at all. One of my friends used to go to that school her name was Valarie Summers back then.

Julie
Valerie Summers was a friend of my be as well. Remember Miss Feathers tone Miss Hearnshaw the science teacher Mrs Osborne who was our form teacher. Miss Monteith was the deputy head and did Scottish dancing class s

Hi I was a teacher at Longmeadow School in the 1970s. My name was Miss Moriarty and the Mrs De Burgo. I taught Science. Does anyone remember the name of the Head Mistress at this time ?
Miss Moriarty, you were one of my favourite teachers. I loved science. I attended longmeadow 1972-76. Mrs Young was deputy and I think the head teacher was Mrs Bonham. Mrs Daniels was another dragon of a teacher along with Mrs Young who told me I was an insolent child for asking about black history in UK. I had to go stand on a black square in the hall which told everyone you were on punishment. Mrs Woodhouse was home economics teacher and she wore bright red lipstick. My sister Melita also attended. I remember the chip van outside school on a Friday 2pence a portion. I was in class with Cathy Woolverston, Jane tongue, Cynthia Morrison, Alex hodge, Sandra ? surname, she use to live in the children's home just up from school. Rosmond Jobson whom I saw recently. We were all living locally. I've never been back since leaving, apart from a few people the teachers were racist and didn't like black pupils and we knew it. It was sad though to see it gone and replaced by houses.

I think the head was Mrs Bonham. I was a student teacher at Longmeadow in about 1973.
I taught some great girls while I was there for just a few weeks.

Yes, I remember the school and Mis Featherstone. I was there from mid 60's to early 70's. Mr Babington was the science teacher, Mrs Brearley was the sewing teacher, Mrs Hall for home economics/cookery. I think Mrs Young took the place of Miss Featherstone, or she was her deputy. I don't recall a Mrs Day.
I left Longmeadow in 1958,but I still have some fond memories.of Miss Featherstone, Miss Montieth,who was into scottish dancing and performed with others on ''Crossroads'' before Paul Henry became ''Benny''.Mrs Cable was my cookery teacher..I still fold hankies the way she taught us ..Miss Hobbs was my sewing teacher,...some happy days ,but I was never very good or happy at school.....

Hi Angela Mrs Young was my form teacher she was the deputy head I think, so is it possible we were in the same class?? I remember Mrs Breeze, do you remember Mrs Peacock she was our Art teacher? June Pickering rings a bell, I remember a Jayne Smedley, Rosemarie Housten, Rosemarie Clemson, I noticed you lived or still live in Brownfield Road??
I remember some of those names rosemarie housten was my best friend at school and lorraine evans i lived in packington avenue long time ago .

Hi, I remember all those teachers I often wonder where my friends are I lived in shard end.

i WAS AT lONGMEADOW GIRLS SCHOOL TOO. ABOUT 1965 ish.MY LAST TEACHER WAS MRS YOUNG.WE HAD MISS BREEZE FOR DRAMA,MRS ROBERTON FOR MATHS (WHAT A DRAGON ) MISS REYNOLDS FOR ART. DO YOU REMEMBER ANYONE CALLED PAT CORFIELD,JACKIE MITCHELL,ELAINE RICHARDS, CECILIA STEEL,ANGELA HIPKISS,JUNE PICKERING.I WOULD LOVE TO FIND ANYONE WHO KNEW US LOT
I can get hold of june pickering for you if you want me too

Back