• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Longmeadow Girls School Shard End

A

Angela

Does anyone remember Longmeadow girls school, I was a pupil there in the late 50s/early 60s.Miss Featherstone was the headmistress and one of my teachers was a Mrs. Day.

Angela,

I am a Group Scout Leader at the Scout Hut on Kendrick Avenue, this was right opposite your School.I am doing a project on the Yorks Wood Scout Campsite that closed down in 1972. Do you have memries of the camp-site at all. One of my friends used to go to that school her name was Valarie Summers back then.

Julie

Lonmeadow Girls School

I attended Longmeadow Girls School during the 1960's. I remember Mr Babbacombe, Mrs Brearley and MIss Featherstone,

Longmeadow Girls School

Hello, I also attended Longmeadow Girls School in the 1960's. I remember the teachers you mention, TMD, and also Mrs. Young, Mr. Gray, Miss Shaw, Mrs. Clarke, Mrs. Robertson. It's surprising what you can remember when someone jogs your memory! Eileen

also remember

Can anyone else remember Mrs Jacobs from the typing pool there was another lady that helped her but i cant remeber her name, then there was Mrs Cooper the art teacher, she once asked if i would wear a elizabethan costume for one of the classes as we were all making figurines at the time, i was to shy and refused.

i remember walking past Longmeadow girls school to go to my school(Hillstone) between 1973 and 1976.

I can`t believe hillstone is still there and not demolished like a lot of other buildings and flats in the area

Hillstone school

in reply to thegoodolddays, i to went to Hillstone infants & jnrs, in the juniors i remember a Miss Meacham she was an art teacher,
and in Longmeadow i've remembered the lady that helped Mrs Jacobs she was Mrs jefferies
My sister and i walked from Hall Hays on shard end to both schools.

jen.

Hi Jen

Do you remember the headmaster of hillstone??

Mr Dance!

i`m going to open another thread regarding hillstone infants and junior school as it is not fair on the Longmeadow girls school thread!

re: Long Meadow Girls School

Hi everyone I have just joined the "Club" and have been looking thru the threads. I came upon this one and had to post.. I was working on the milk and used to deliver to the girls school in Long Meadow in 1966/67. There were a couple of girls who used to help me deliver the milk on a Friday when the "roundsman was collecting the money and I was ahead delivering. They used to help me in their dinner hour and I ended up going out with one and my mate went out with her mate.. But It didn't last long as we had to walk from the "Radleys" over to Shard End every night. And had to go through Lea Village after dark, Ha Ha.. While I was delivering around that area we used to have a young lad who used to help us we called them "Runners". One day he told us he knew this lad who was selling a tent (We were keen campers in them days) mind you I still am but now have a VW type 2 camper-van ..I digress. So we bought this tent off this lad, very cheap. We never bothered opening it and we opened it when we went camping down St Ives in Cornwall. Well it was a big heavy canvas tent and on the sides it had written on it, "Yorks Wood Scout Group". Well we never had that tent very long. Ha Ha ....

memories

Can anyone else remember Mrs Jacobs from the typing pool there was another lady that helped her but i cant remeber her name, then there was Mrs Cooper the art teacher, she once asked if i would wear a elizabethan costume for one of the classes as we were all making figurines at the time, i was to shy and refused.

Hi Jen I can remember during assembly Miss Heatherington threw a Javlin across the stage to warn us how "dangerious"! they were, any one else remember?? Mrs Cooper an art teacher? I remember Mrs Peacock being my art teacher also Mrs Breasley the needlework teacher, I also remember that you were only allowed to do typing if you were going to "stay on" ? needles to say I left and did typing at night school at Alderlea Boys School.

der!!!

Hi Jen I can remember during assembly Miss Heatherington threw a Javlin across the stage to warn us how "dangerious"! they were, any one else remember?? Mrs Cooper an art teacher? I remember Mrs Peacock being my art teacher also Mrs Breasley the needlework teacher, I also remember that you were only allowed to do typing if you were going to "stay on" ? needles to say I left and did typing at night school at Alderlea Boys School.

Of course the headmistress was Miss Featherstone how silly of me sorry.
senior moment!!

Hillstone shool dinners!

in reply to thegoodolddays, i to went to Hillstone infants & jnrs, in the juniors i remember a Miss Meacham she was an art teacher,
and in Longmeadow i've remembered the lady that helped Mrs Jacobs she was Mrs jefferies
My sister and i walked from Hall Hays on shard end to both schools.

jen.

Hi my mother was a dinner lady at Hillstone school along with her friend Mavis Heatherinton! I remember one Christmas my dad having to load up our radio gram which was very heavy so they could have some music for a Christmas gathering they were 78 rpm !! I have fond memories of the spare "Chocolate Concrete" leftovers she used to bring home anyone else remember it?

Does anyone remember Longmeadow girls school, I was a pupil there in the late 50s/early 60s.Miss Featherstone was the headmistress and one of my teachers was a Mrs. Day.
i WAS AT lONGMEADOW GIRLS SCHOOL TOO. ABOUT 1965 ish.MY LAST TEACHER WAS MRS YOUNG.WE HAD MISS BREEZE FOR DRAMA,MRS ROBERTON FOR MATHS (WHAT A DRAGON ) MISS REYNOLDS FOR ART. DO YOU REMEMBER ANYONE CALLED PAT CORFIELD,JACKIE MITCHELL,ELAINE RICHARDS, CECILIA STEEL,ANGELA HIPKISS,JUNE PICKERING.I WOULD LOVE TO FIND ANYONE WHO KNEW US LOT

Hi Angela Mrs Young was my form teacher she was the deputy head I think, so is it possible we were in the same class?? I remember Mrs Breeze, do you remember Mrs Peacock she was our Art teacher? June Pickering rings a bell, I remember a Jayne Smedley, Rosemarie Housten, Rosemarie Clemson, I noticed you lived or still live in Brownfield Road??

does anyone remember my wife Margaret Kimberley early 50s late 60s
Miss osbourne music teacher used to play at morning assembly
and miss Toothill cookery teacher

brian margarets husband

I left Longmeadow in July 1965 Miss Featherstone Headmistress Mrs Young Deputy - I remember she smacked me once, but have no complaints. Remember Miss Cass PE/Maths and Mrs Dyke who I think was my form teacher.

Also went to Hillstone about 1955-1960/61

Janet Hughes - also my sister Pat - 4 years earlier.

Re: Long Meadow Girls School

hi Roy i would assume you worked at garrets green then for the co-op as you lived at the radleys?
i used to be a runner,way back when, and worked with a couple of guys one was a Ray Chatterley,we used to meet up at eddies cafe in lea village.
happy days regards dereklcg.

I remember it. Three of my Sisters went there in the 70's. We used to live up the road by the British Legion, Hurst Lane. :)

Back