• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Longbridge Island Floral Car

pollypops

master brummie
Since Rover closed and a lot of the buildings have been demolished I have often thought that something should be placed on Longbridge Island in recognition of all the cars that have been made there over the years - preferably a replica Mini. Therefore I was very pleased to see this today and just had to stop and take a photo.

Pic 1 The road behind the Mini is the Lickey Road which leads to Rednal
Pic 2 shows part of the demolished factory in the backround
Pic 3 The Mini is facing the Bristol Road South towards Birmingham - The building being constructed on the right is the new Bournville college

Polly :)

Attachments

• longbridge_1.JPG
    longbridge_1.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 10
  • longbridge_2.JPG
    longbridge_2.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 10
  • longbridge_3.JPG
    longbridge_3.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here are some more pictures of the new Bournville College building site - it is on the corner of the Bristol Road South and Longbridge Lane.
I am sure in years to come, someone will ask on a forum like this ....... why is the College at Longbridge called Bournville College?

On picture 2 the site of the building on the opposite corner used to be a Rover car park, it is now named Longbridge Technology Park.

I will post more pictures as the site develops.

Polly :)

Attachments

• longbridge_4~0.JPG
    longbridge_4~0.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 8
  • longbridge_5.JPG
    longbridge_5.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The floral mini is wonderful, Birmingham Parks Department do us proud year after year, and invariably win gold medals at The Chelsea Flower Show, plus the displays in the parks, and hanging baskets etc., in the city centre and elsewhere.

Can't find any other Longbridge related threads, so will post this here.

The recent roadworks in Longbridge are finished, and this is what the roundabout looks like from Lickey Road at Bristol Road South.

Bournville College, Austin Park, Longbridge Town Centre and the new Retirement village are on the right (not all in this photo).

I'm not sure if they will put flowers and a Mini in the middle again. This was August 2013.

Perhaps now that the roadworks are done, then Cofton Nursery could install something here in summer 2019?

Back