• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Long gone shops

A department store. If you search for "Greys Department Store" there is an entire thread about it.

Chelsea Girl - as I remember, the main shop in Town where you could hear loud music Chris. Always blaring out. Viv.
Hello Vivienne I used to work at Crowthers in St Ann square and Arndale Center in Manchester in 1977 78. But I dont remenber the names of the ladies who owned these shops?
Best regarde
Odile.

In early '60s I used to buy TV aerials and associated items such as splitter boxes from a shop which I think was Plotniks. If I remember correctly it was up Soho Road or near abouts. Can anyone recall it? Before the days of Maplins!

Profitt and Westwood was a popular shop for buying plants and gardening materials. I think that there were several in Birmingham but I'm not sure of their locations. Dave

In early '60s I used to buy TV aerials and associated items such as splitter boxes from a shop which I think was Plotniks. If I remember correctly it was up Soho Road or near abouts. Can anyone recall it? Before the days of Maplins!

Yes, that name rings a bell, I worked in a shop on Soho Road for a while 1966-68.

I remember Plotneks. On Hamstead road, and I think near Charleville road. They sold all sorts of cheap electronic parts. I can remember buying a soldering iron from them, which failed very quickly!

Banjo,

There were several and all have been mentioned on here in various threads. Norman's son used to have a website about his family business - there was one in Snow Hill as well - but I can't locate it at the moment. Just below that was the one that sold a lot of government surplus elctronics, but my memory is fading rapidly these days. He died not long ago. I will see what I can dig out.

Maurice :cool:

Yes, I do! It was Hamstead Rd, frontage right on the building line AFAIR left hand side going from Soho Hill.

Banjo,

There were several and all have been mentioned on here in various threads. Norman's son used to have a website about his family business - there was one in Snow Hill as well - but I can't locate it at the moment. Just below that was the one that sold a lot of government surplus elctronics, but my memory is fading rapidly these days. He died not long ago. I will see what I can dig out.

Radiocentre, Matthews and Norman Field x2 in Hurst St., Stan Willetts in W Brom and Amateur Electronics, on Alum Rock Rd., There was Lasky's in Corporation St, opposite and below C&A. There was Norman Rose on Constitution Hill (trade), moved to Cregoe St... Finally Tandy (everywhere)

Last edited:
Banjo,

Matthews was the second one I was thinking of, and the one in Bromsgrove Street was run by a bloke called Sam Kershaw.

I remember the name Plotnek , his forename John . In the 70's he was in to property ,his cousin joined the company I worked for which was electrical wholesaling . Then about twenty five years later a gentleman walked into the trade counter , I was called out to be of assistance . The customer turned out to be his son .

Hello jukebox............I think I remember Plotniks. it seems they had all sorts of electrical stuff there!

Norman A Field or alternatively Norman AH Field one or the other rings a bell for one of the retailers
AH Field was into property lettings. I completed a new telephone system for his son in the 80s in serviced offices in New St. I was led to believe the family name was originally Hirschfield.

Back