• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Long gone shops

All these clothes shops that I shopped at one time or another:

Chelsea Girl, High Street
Etams, Bull Street (same premises as Lewis Separates but later?)
Lewis Separates, Bull Street
Van Allen, High Street
Tiffany’s boutique, Temple Row
Bus Stop, New Street
Crowthers, Corporation Street
C&A Corporation Street (gone in this country, still going abroad)

Just goes to show how volatile the rag trade was/is.

Viv

In the 1940s 1950s, Living on Moat Lane, in Yardley Brum26 Mom would shop every day, at the stores down the street from us. Fresh everything every day, NOW going a GOOGLE street view, the very same stores are now houses, shops all gone. Of course, Tesco or some such not far away.

Last edited:
I remember the Midlands educational had an escalator in it

The Midland Ed was originally in Corporation Street, roughly opposite where C&A was, if I remember rightly there were only stairs in that shop. The art department was in the basement - I loved going down there, it had a wonderful smell. Other than that, I think there was just the ground and first floor.

Later they moved up the road towards Lewis's in that newer block near where Oasis market is and that shop did have escalators.

The Midland Ed was originally in Corporation Street, roughly opposite where C&A was, if I remember rightly there were only stairs in that shop. The art department was in the basement - I loved going down there, it had a wonderful smell. Other than that, I think there was just the ground and first floor.

Later they moved up the road towards Lewis's in that newer block near where Oasis market is and that shop did have escalators.
i remember the old store i would go in there and laskys for a mooch

All these clothes shops that I shopped at one time or another:

Chelsea Girl, High Street
Etams, Bull Street (same premises as Lewis Separates but later?)
Lewis Separates, Bull Street
Van Allen, High Street
Tiffany’s boutique, Temple Row
Bus Stop, New Street
Crowthers, Corporation Street
C&A Corporation Street (gone in this country, still going abroad)

Just goes to show how volatile the rag trade was/is.

Viv
Chelsea Girl on a Saturday was always a " must visit " on a Saturday after spending lunchtime in the Tavern in the Town, sad really. I guess it was Birminghams equivalent to Londons Biba but perhaps not on the same level.

Chelsea Girl's loud music seems to be their trade mark as it was the same at their Bournemouth shop. I wasn't sorry to see them go, infringing upon everyone's peace!

Maurice :cool:

Chelsea Girl's loud music seems to be their trade mark as it was the same at their Bournemouth shop. I wasn't sorry to see them go, infringing upon everyone's peace!

Maurice :cool:

Oh Maurice, I loved Chelsea Girl...if you had one of their yellow and black carrier bags you thought you were the bee's knees at my school! :cool:

Lynn.

This may of already been said before the shop at bottom of escalator in the Bull Ring that played Max Bygraves songs cant remember what they sold now

Back