• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lombard Street General Baptist Chapel 1785

No, i don't think so - on maps around 1904ish it is marked as "chapel disused".
Laptop not on at moment but will post map later. Don't know when it stopped being a chapel.

Here we are - map dated 1904 - 05 (probably surveyed 1903ish). I suspect it was used by a few older members who did not want to move. No idea who paid for the upkeep and I have seen no mention of the building being for sale. So I assume it was sadly left to decay. Still marked as disused on 1920s map but by 1930s no longer marked.

1628757832828.png

I’ve been following this thread for some time now. My ancestors were baptised here so it’s brilliant to see the place as it was. I suppose the next step is to understand why my family opted for non-conformity at this point whilst later they moved away from this and back to the mainstream.

Last edited:
The thread for Lombard Street Baptist church ends in 2010, but maybe some of those writing there are still interested.
There are (or were 15 years ago) Minutes of the church meetings for the period (I think) about 1870 to 1890 in the Central Library.
My Great Grandfather Rev. E.W.Cantrell was minister there from 1882. In 1889 the new chapel was built (0n Moseley Road?), called Highgate Park Baptist Church and Rev Cantrell and the congregation moved there. Rev Cantrell retired in 1900. The church buildings were sold in 1934 and the congregation (mostly) transferred to Hall Green Baptists. I have a number of cuttings, from my Grandmother's scrap book, of the doings of the church during Rev Cantrell's tenure. I have a photograph of the inside of the Highgate Park Chapel, But have no picture of the building, nor do I know what was its subsequent use nor when it was demolished.
Can anyone help?

Robin Moore
Robin
I looked at a couple of the minute books way back in the late 1990's always intending to go back and look in more detail but never did.Yesterday I spent a wonderful day in Birmingham archives and looked at 4 minute books and took
photos of the pages of the first 3 from the first one to 1871 up until George Cheatle died.The 4th one was too thick and I had other items I wanted to look at .I now need to go through them and study them.I also looked at some of the deeds .

I’ve been following this thread for some time now. My ancestors were baptised here so it’s brilliant to see the place as it was. I suppose the next step is to understand why my family opted for non-conformity at this point whilst later they moved away from this and back to the mainstream.
Hello,
I assume you must be descended from Thomas Motteram and Elizabeth Eyland.We must be related as I am descended from Thomas Motterams brother, Robert.We may have communicated in the past?
.One of Thomas and Elizabeths sons Charles married Elizabeth Rogers Cheatle,George's daughter, In 1849 at the church.Charles was on the finance committee and he is mentioned in the minutes. I need to look at the minutes in more detail as I know Thomas was mentioned in the minutes in the 1830's but was living in Walsall in 1841 with his family.

Hello,
I assume you must be descended from Thomas Motteram and Elizabeth Eyland.We must be related as I am descended from Thomas Motterams brother, Robert.We may have communicated in the past?
.One of Thomas and Elizabeths sons Charles married Elizabeth Rogers Cheatle,George's daughter, In 1849 at the church.Charles was on the finance committee and he is mentioned in the minutes. I need to look at the minutes in more detail as I know Thomas was mentioned in the minutes in the 1830's but was living in Walsall in 1841 with his family.

Hi TBL,
That’s correct-I’m descended from their son John Motteram, born in 1833 and christened at Lombard St in 1837, but I’m not sure if we’ve chatted before.
I was aware that John’s older brother married Reverend Cheatle’s daughter.
I would like to know more about the chapel and it’s parishioners and the workings of the chapel.
I’d especially love to know more about the circumstances around Thomas’ mention in the minutes. I’d be very interested to find out as much as I can about their connection with non-conformism.
Thanks,
Anthony

Hi TBL,
That’s correct-I’m descended from their son John Motteram, born in 1833 and christened at Lombard St in 1837, but I’m not sure if we’ve chatted before.
I was aware that John’s older brother married Reverend Cheatle’s daughter.
I would like to know more about the chapel and it’s parishioners and the workings of the chapel.
I’d especially love to know more about the circumstances around Thomas’ mention in the minutes. I’d be very interested to find out as much as I can about their connection with non-conformism.
Thanks,
Anthony
Hi Anthony, No we haven't it was that I was corresponding with quite a few descendants of Thomas and Elizabeth way back in the late 1990's and early 2000's and I wondered if you may be one of them. I was able to find the baptism of most of Thomas and Elizabeth's children 2nd baptism at Lombard St. I know there was a burial ground yet neither Thomas or Elizabeth are buried there especially as Elizabeth died in 1852. I am hoping I may come across something in the minutes. Will let you know if I find anything.
Tina

Back