• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Logging in problems

carolina

master brummie
A friend is trying to join but cannot seem to do it. She has asked if I can join her? Please help. Thanks

I also have a friend who was a member for a number of years and he can not sign in. He feels he has been banished for an unknown reason.

I had issues trying to Log In a short while ago Stitcher. It was due to me changing my e-mail address: the Log In would not work well and kept asking for verification. The problem was the verification mails never arrived in my mail box! :eek:
I was lucky in that I managed, eventually, to contact Lyn (Astoness) via another place to ask for help. She contacted Postie on my behalf and the issue was sorted out. I was grateful to Lyn for her help.
Stitcher, maybe you could PM Postie with the details of your friend and former Member and hopefully his banishment might end. I know how he feels - after all I have the 'T' shirt.

PS: Carolina, maybe you could do a similar thing for your friend.

thats good advise alan for anyone who knows of members having problems logging in( which in a lot of cases seems to have happened since the forum last went down) please contact postie with the details...alan since i helped you i have also helped another 2 long term members...they are sorted now...if postie cant sort out the problems i am sure he will ask warrens advise

lyn

another of our members janice is having problems now jim...luckily she has my email address so i am posting her message here in the hopes you can help her...thanks jim..her user name is pjmburns

Morning Lyn - sorry to email but I am having problems getting onto the forum. I was apparently logged in as my name appeared at the top etc but when I tried to post it said "you need to be logged in to do that". I logged out to re-log in but it won't let me. It seemed to accept my password (at least it did not say "incorrect") but left me logged out. I asked for a password re-set but nothing has arrived.

Any ideas?

Sorry to bother you when you must be busy.

Thanks
Janice x

This is weird - the site works on my phone and in Internet Explorer but won't, at the moment, on Chrome. Lyn thanks for posting but I suggest Jim holds fire for now and I will see what I can do with Chrome!!!

jim ignore last post i think janice knows what the prob is..she can log on with her phone but not chrome so shes trying to sort it

I am back = I cleared the search history from this morning and now it has let me back in. Never had a problem before so hope it stays OK now. It was stressful enough doing my Christmas Cake today never mind having problems on here!!

Maybe cake mix in your motherboard* Janice !!! Viv

* motherboard = main circuit board of a computer

No - they were kept well apart! Fingers crossed things running OK now and the cake looks good as well.

I get the same problem, if I log on with my laptop which uses IE then I do not have a problem. If I log on with my pc which uses Chrome then I have numerous problems.

If you do have problems with the site please contact me by pm and I can usually deal with it straight away...thank you

I had a problem last week where I could search some BHF threads but was completely blocked on others using Chrome, I had never seen that before. I solved it by clearing the cache and now do this once a week. I don't clear history because I find it useful for going back a week or two when I want to look at something I had looked at previously. I get to 'cache clean' command with ...
click '3 dots' -
click 'more tools' -
click 'clear browsing data'
tick 'cached images and files' box
Then click the 'Clear Browsing Data' button,
I don't tick any other boxes unless I want a major clear out
Microsoft's Edge browser controls are almost the same as Chrome controls ... they even have 3 dots.

I always use Chrome and had never had a problem. I could not access the site to message anyone - if I had thought before emailing Lyn I would have tried a different browser. In the end clearing the cache worked.

I suppose we all have a favourite browser, mine is Chrome used it for years. I even use it in my iPad because it syncs bookmarks across devices. A recent Chrome update may have caused a glitch because there have been reports about problems but now corrected. It pays to have more than one browser installed and my second choice is Edge (built in with Win10) and since the FC Update now runs smoothly for me after importing Chrome's bookmarks, getting rid of the Microsoft start page, and altering it's default search from Bing to Google. Edge now has browser extensions and looks the same as Chrome on my laptop.

not wishing to tempt fate but i think the reason why i have had very few problems over the past 10 years is because i keep everything very basic...dont have an internet phone (i can live without one) dont have a tablet either...ive never installed fancy apps...just stuck to the 4 history sites of my choice..the lappy my son bought me last year came with windows 10 but to be honest i dont use it to its full potential if i had the time i wouldnt know what to do anyway:D both desk top and lappy are checked for gremlins by my son..my old faithful desk top upstairs is still going strong with windows 7 ..so long as i can make posts and upload my photos i am happy with that:)

lyn

Last edited:
I definitely prefer Chrome, but am surprised noone has mentioned the one disappointing thing recently - or am I doing something wrong? I refer to its recenet policy with videos, where it wont allow them to shown unless they are in its approved format (HTLM5?). This prevents you using it for alot of online videos, At least that is thebreason i have been given why bI can't see them and have to go to IE

I definitely prefer Chrome, but am surprised noone has mentioned the one disappointing thing recently - or am I doing something wrong? I refer to its recenet policy with videos, where it wont allow them to shown unless they are in its approved format (HTLM5?). This prevents you using it for alot of online videos, At least that is thebreason i have been given why bI can't see them and have to go to IE
Hi Mike, I had not noticed that. Can you post a link to one you cannot see ?

Back