• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sandwell Hall - lodge

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi guys
i don,t know whether i am in the right slot for this
if i am not please forgive me and i am sure our admin will correct it
for me ,
for many years i have travelled to west brom
even the other day last week i came down to handsworth
via the west brom juntion at the motor wat exit
when you come off the motor way and come around the island
slapp bang in the middle of the island there as been a half building
with what i call a castle look like stone building
and it looks like an arch can any member tell me what excactly was
this buildingin its hay days is it a momument for somthink
for years i have been very curiuos of it
i hope some one can put me out of my miserie
have a nice day every body best wishes astonian ;;;

Hiya Alan
we came past that a few weeks ago and like you i don't know what it is. been there ever since i remember...Hope somebody does know:):)

From Sandwell site

Lodge to Sandwell Hall. Probably early C18. Possibly by William Smith (Pevsner). Comprises a pedimented gateway of rusticated sandstone ashlar with slate roof and a left-hand curved flanking wall of brick with sandstone coping. This terminates with a battered rusticated pier. The gateway has a round arch with moulded imposts. At each side is an engaged Doric column and a Doric pilaster. The passage between the gateways has a tunnel vault with ribs. Sandwell Hall was demolished in 1928. (BoE P303).

hi folks while out in the car earlier we saw this old building or part of a building... part of the original wall is visible...have say i have seen this many times and never bothered to find out about it...any help would be great...if you go past the west bromwich albion ground just a little further up there is an island...this building is on the island...street view below

thanks folks..lyn

Last edited:
thanks rob so it is the lodge of sandwell hall then...

thanks also sparks..i did not know parts of the old monastery was still there....great stuff..as you can see from my street view no stopping places to get a better look

lyn.

great info guilbert...as soon as is humanly possible i shall visit the park now that it has been restored...i dont really live that far from it... :)

lyn

thanks rob so it is the lodge of sandwell hall then...

thanks also sparks..i did not know parts of the old monastery was still there....great stuff..as you can see from my street view no stopping places to get a better look

lyn.

Yes, I know the building very well from when we used to drive past to get to the motorway.

Below is a picture of the Priory from a walk in March 2008. Close to the Priory are a few small pools where we sat on a bench and had a cup of tea. On the opposite side of the pools was an extensive Heronry, and with the binoculars you could see the little heads of the chicks peeping out from the nests.

A little further to the south there is a Trig Point in the golf course where you can look over to the Hawthorns, reputed to be the highest football ground above sea level in England. You can also see the magnificent Mortuary Chapel in Handsworth Cemetery.

2C5ABF85-D65C-4031-9526-5FDC9FF3B09B_1_105_c.jpeg570AE632-F226-4711-82EC-A26655CA2D2E_1_105_c.jpegD45FE0C9-FEEE-42E5-A49C-5D3652150FF2_1_105_c.jpeg2C5ABF85-D65C-4031-9526-5FDC9FF3B09B_1_105_c.jpeg570AE632-F226-4711-82EC-A26655CA2D2E_1_105_c.jpegD45FE0C9-FEEE-42E5-A49C-5D3652150FF2_1_105_c.jpeg

Back