• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lodge Road, (the flat) Hockley

Shera

true brummie
The black and white pic was taken about the 1950`s

Took the other pic tonight (21 Nov 10).

my moms families shop was where the ladders are against the wall but in the 1920`s and 1930`s. it was A & J Snape. Retail and wholesale grocers. i was pleased to see this bit of Lodge Rd still exists.

Hi Shera did your family live above Spencers? Have you seen the 2 photos I put on 'then and now' for the The Flat/Ford Street corner?

yes thanks carolina, i have looked at the photo you put on the forum, will show it to my mom when she comes next.

my moms uncle did live above the shop in lodge rd. although he also had another property in handsworth. his name was jerry snape. my moms dad was alfred snape and he was in partnership with his brother jerry. my mom helped in the shop, bagging up the flour, sugar, rice, butter etc when she was only very young, from about 6yrs old. she was born nov 1924.

hi
wasnt the spencers shop for fruit and veg because some old friends of mine ran the fruit and veg in the seventys the greenalls family johny and his father and his brother
my mate was the italion mario whom had the returant coffee bar oppersite he went out with my girl friends cousin jackie from on the corner of park rd
best wishes astonion

Deleted ( Wrong thread ) Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Back