• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Rd Hockley (the Flat)

Great shot, Carolina. My house in Heaton St is just about opposite the entrance to Icknield St School, I wonder if there is a shot of Burbury St School from the same source?

Peg.
Burberry Street as it was in 1939 can be seen in this image. The red dot marks junction of Burbury St/Lozells Rd.
Burbury1939all.jpg
image is from 'britainfromabove'

Last edited:
Hi Folks, The Plan showing shops on The Flat in the 50s is developing but I still need help (see Block Plan below):
Heaton Street Side
1. Name of butcher next to Hunts.
2. Name of sweet shop next to Spencer's.
3. Names of the shops between the sweet shop and Geo Mason.
4. Names of the shops between Glarry's and the Co-op.
5. Names of the shops between Boot's and Alan's.
Pentecostal Church Side
6. Names of shops between Centric Cycles and Wimbush

Peg.

The Flat Plan Block.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Folks, from about the age of 5 until I was 10 (my family was re-housed after that from Heaton St in 1959) each Saturday morning, despite my protestations, I was press-ganged into getting Sunday Lunch's meat from the C0-op butcher, corner The Flat and Heaton St - the order was always the same: A nice breast of lamb for about 4/-, my mother considered this was such a cheap cut of meat she felt awkward visiting the butcher to buy it.
If my dad was not on a fishing jolly that Sunday we would have Sunday lunch about mid-day as soon as my father had returned from the Bull's Head, on the other hand if he was due to go on a fishing trip (his club was at The Bull's Head) the lamb would be cooked on the Saturday evening allowing him to take some cold meat on his fishing trip the next day.
Ah! The good old days.

Peg.

The Plan of The Flat
Hi Folks, I've got a few more bits of info'
1. The name of the butchers next to Hunts was Mytton's
2. Burleys Butchers was next to Boots
3. The Sweet shop was Miss Woolies.

I'm puzzled:
About this time (50s) The Brown Lina Pub was opposite Heaton Street, which shop did it occupy?

Peg.

hi peg take it you mean the brown lion..typo error i think...must say i dont think i have come across this pub when you say it was opposite heaton st was in actually on the flat?? will see if i have a pic of it but off hand i dont think so

lyn

Doubt if you will find one Lyn, I have been looking for years. I seem to remember that you walked down some steps to get to it, I was only a kid at the time but I believe it changed into a laundrette, mid to late 50's. It was on the same side as the Pentecostal, but I can't remember whereabouts.

thanks for that useful info terry...maybe if mike sees this he could provide us with a map marking out where the brown lion was...

lyn

Peg the pub became the launderette which I can remember going with my mom.
hi peg take it you mean the brown lion..typo error i think...must say i dont think i have come across this pub when you say it was opposite heaton st was in actually on the flat?? will see if i have a pic of it but off hand i dont think so

lyn

Hi folks, sorry about spelling, quite right The Brown Lion Pub, I'm sure Carolina has more insider info' on Pub/launderette, I picked up info re pub from another site, I can't remember the pub or imagine where it was, Woolworths - Church - Smiths were all there during my time 1949-59. If it was there other than in the 50s no worries as it wouldn't be part of the "50s plan" I'm putting together.

Peg.

Brown Lion is in red on the map c1950. It is listed in the 1956 Kellys, but by 1962, as already stated, was a launderette

map c 1950 showing Brown Lion , Lodge road.jpg

Brown Lion is in red on the map c1950. It is listed in the 1956 Kellys, but by 1962, as already stated, was a launderette

View attachment 115116
Great map mikejee, the pub definitely needs to feature on my 50's plan. Am I right in concluding it was between Smiths and the Milk Bar?
The postal numbers are particularly useful, is there a free version of Kelly's? The one's I've checked ask for payment.

Peg.

Hi THERE
On the subject of lodge road there was a previuos member or party mentionioned sam cotterill
and there family the person said he did not know of what part of lodge road
well the answer was up lodge road just passing the hydralic pub and the cornerof allsaints road
Facing scribona,s bakery along with relatives close by and one news agents at the very corner
Of all saints road and lodge road and he was a regular at the fireman pub lodge road
i think he said 1910 born there Astonian,,,

My 1950s Plan of the shops on The Flat is evolving, latest version herewith, I still need help with the remaining "Green ?s":

Church Side
Names & products of the 6 shops 397-403 Lodge Rd, I know one will be Centric Cycles, and there may be a pet shop.

Heaton St Side
Names & products of the 8 shops 5-12 Lodge Rd, one will be Gee's China and another Neal's Jeweller.
Name & product of shop 17 Lodge Rd between Co-op and Glarry's.
Name & product of shop 20 Lodge Rd, (could be Sid's Butchers - second branch of Burley's Butchers).

I think threaders have given their best memory-wise, so now look-ups on you favourite business directory permitted, if you can't recall from memory!

Errors/omissions: please let me know.

Peg.

The Flat Plan Block v2 16 jun 17.jpg

Last edited:
I thought Burleys butchers was Hudsons. Im not sure but I thought there was another shop after Miss Woolies which was Mrs Hudsons (wife) shop which sold baby clothes etc. Also, there was Harris's dry cleaners up from Gees China Shop

Last edited:
Next to Alans was a shop called Glarry's. I don't know what they sold.

Attachments

• the flat 2.jpg
    the flat 2.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 30
My 1950s Plan of the shops on The Flat is evolving, latest version herewith, I still need help with the remaining "Green ?s":

Church Side
Names & products of the 6 shops 397-403 Lodge Rd, I know one will be Centric Cycles, and there may be a pet shop.

Heaton St Side
Names & products of the 8 shops 5-12 Lodge Rd, one will be Gee's China and another Neal's Jeweller.
Name & product of shop 17 Lodge Rd between Co-op and Glarry's.
Name & product of shop 20 Lodge Rd, (could be Sid's Butchers - second branch of Burley's Butchers).

I think threaders have given their best memory-wise, so now look-ups on you favourite business directory permitted, if you can't recall from memory!

Errors/omissions: please let me know.

Peg.

View attachment 115226

thanks terry and alan now i am certain that glarrys was the shop i got my twin set from..strange how something like that can stick in your head 47 years on

lyn

Actually Lyn, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I only visited the Lodge Road area to visit an uncle when I was fairly young, so I was not familiar with the shops.
My reference to Glarrys comes from posts 44 and 112 of this thread and post 30 of the Hockley thread. :D Post 112 has a different pic by the way.

yes i remember you saying about your visits over that way alan...it was deffo glarrys as it ties in with the map peg posted of where it was...that section of shops has gone now...sad to see the state of whats left now..

lyn

thanks terry and alan now i am certain that glarrys was the shop i got my twin set from..strange how something like that can stick in your head 47 years on

lyn
Hi Folks, a mystery: In post #112 there is a pic of Glarry's next to Pope's in the row of shops between Ford St and Heaton St and in post #207 there is a pic of Glarry's next to Alan's in the row of shops between Heaton St and Ickield St, I can date the latter shot as being no earlier than 1963 (How? Because there is a Ford Lotus Cortina in shot which was first produced in 1963.)

So the question is, was there two branches of Glarry's on The Flat 1950-1959? I've read somewhere Glarry's was a ladies hair salon, is it possible one branch sold fashions and the other hairstyles?

Lyn, you being a customer might be the best Expert Witness we have!

Peg.

Back