• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lodge Hill Cemetery

W

Wendy

Lodge Hill Cemetery is to the south west of Birmingham city centre, serves the suberbs of Edgbaston, Harborne, Selly Oak, Northfield, Rednal and Bournville. It was opened in January 1895. The original site has now been extended to over 61 acres. Lodge Hill has burials of all denominations and has a section devoted to Quakers, where some of the Cadbury family are buried. The cemetery also has a Soldiers, section were some 500 soldiers who died in local hospitals during World War 1 are buried. Nearby is a small plot, surrounded by a golden privet hedge, where 14 World War1 German prisoners of War are buried. On each of these graves a flat memorial stone, shaped like an iron cross was laid. In 1934 a chapel and crematoriam were built at a cost of £9,000.

This is a condenced exert from Joseph McKenna's book.

Finding a grave stone at Lodge Hill

Can anyone one help?. My grandfather is buried at Lodge Hill cemetry , he was buried there sometime in the early 1940's also in the plot is his brother in law also I believe buried sometime in the 1940's. When I was a small child I used to go with my grandmother to put flowers on his grave, we always went in by the Reservoir Rd entrance or somewhere close to that Rd. How can I get information about plots in the cemetry ? His name was Herbert Hancock and the other person in the plot was Samuel McCoy Any help would be appreciated as I live in Derby and being rather long in the tooth do not get around as much as I did.

earlgary, It is always difficult to locate a grave and memories do play tricks. I have emailed Lodge Hill in the past to ask for a cemetery map without any luck. I would suggest you try phoning them with as much information as possible. Exact names dates etc and they may help you, I am not sure as I have not dealt with this cemetery. Here's the phone numbers so give it a try.

0121 472 1575
0121 414 1726

Good luck!

Lodge Hill

Thanks Wendy, the problem I have is I don't know any dates only my grandfathers name, I have tried to find the date of his death but without any success so far but I will keep on looking.

Lodge Hill Cem Map

I have been reading the tread here and have a copy of the map for Lodge Hill Cemetery, and if you would like a copy, I could try and scan it and send to your email address, hope this will help anyone who needs it.

Lodge Hill Cemetry Map

VeeCee if you could scan the map for me I would be so grateful,
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
VeeCee, welcome to the forum, are you able to post a copy of the map here on the forum, I'm sure many members would find it useful.

Colin

Thanks to VeeCee, a copy of the map of Lodge Hill Cemetery.
It is also available as a pdf file.

Colin

Re: Lodge Hill Cemetery Info Query

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this dilema. Having spoken to Lodge Hill ref a burial I have been searching for, I gave them all the info like the date of burial, the year, her age and the grave number ect and asked if they could give me any extra information like the last known address or anything that they had. The girl I spoke to said they cant give out the last known address but only the grave location and her age (which I already had). Having been in contact with other cemeteries in birmingham they have always given out the last known address. Would anyone know why this is ? I have been searching for my G grandmother for years and all we know was she was in and out of the workhouse/wassel grove convalecent home and yardley green hospital for years and her children were in homes and her husband divorced her so she had no close relatives. The age would have been about correct, 34 when she was buried in 1929. The registry office said this information didnt match on the death certificate only the age was correct so I'm stuck. How can I find out if it is her or not ? Hellllllllllllppppppppppppppppppppppppppp please all you good people out there. :confused:

Sarah I am mystified as to why you were told this. I know usually there is a fee for the information as staff are taken away from their work do do this search. I paid about £18 four years ago for a search of ten people who were in one grave at Key Hill Cememtery. The information came from Handsworth and contained date of burial, age, cause of death if given and last Known address or place of death. The last burial was 1918 so it wasn't covered by the hundred year rule. The only problem you may have is the address could be the same as the death certificate. Did you apply to Birmingham for the death certificate?

Having read several comments re Lodge Hill on this thread I was a litle uncertain about how successful my trip to the cemetery yesterday would be!

Need not have worried. Spent 40mins or so searching for graves of the 1950's but couldn't find the one that I wanted, so resorted to asking at the office. Lady there couldn't have been more helpful. She told me that there was several ways she could search their records, by surname, date or the plot number which I had looked up in the records of the cemetery held at Birmingham Central Library.

A few minutes wait and she came back with the information about my Great Grandmother I was seeking PLUS the details of 3 others buried in the same grave and the details about the other individuals who had had their ashes buried or scattered over the grave!! In total 6 for the price of one and three of those family who I hadn't even considered starting to research yet.

As to why I had been unsuccessful during my initial search, I was looking for Great Grandmother who had died in 1951 but the plot was originally bought and used for her father-in-law, my Great, Great Grandfather who had died in the 1930's.

So all in all a very successful trip

Helen

i had to go to lodge hill, a few years ago i had heard thorugh the grapevine that a friend had passed away 3 years before, i had no info at all except a name and a might be year, the lady was so helpful, she spent about an hour with me going through all these BIG books, i think you get on much better if you go into the office and be face to face with the ladies who work there, she told me the plot number gave me a map and told me were to find it.

Hey good news! I found out about my Great Nan and got the burial entry and when I went to the cemetary with my Dad they were really helpful and we paid our respects. This was the end of an eight year search and as you can imagine it was very emotional. She came from a wealthy family in India, married an English guy who treated her bad and had her put in the workhouse and she went down hill from there and died of TB.
I just couldnt understand why they were not able to give out the last known address? as all the other cemeteries do. But hey we got there in the end and they were very helpful like you say once we were face to face.
Thanks for the info, good luck in your searches.

Sarah, I am so pleased you had a "result". I think it is good when you do the main research yourself as it helps you to understand certain things that happened in peoples lives. I have a golden rule, I don't judge because I wasn't there. This part of family history is always very emotional but sometimes we need to know. I am pleased you found what you were looking for.

I am thrilled for you Sarah.

I too found my visit very emotional, I always do when I visit the resting places of my ancestors, even those I never knew. Indee, its got me thinking about how I want my passing recorded and what epitaph I wish to leave behind.

Helen

Go to Lodge hill monday to friday before 4pm and they will give you a map and find the grave number for you.
more than likely in 13/14/15 as a member of my family died in 1950 and are 14.
the office is right by the main gates. they do close the gates at 4pm so give yourself at least two hours to find the grave,
GOOD LUCK Andy

From my grandfather, I have information that his parents and sisters are buried at Lodge Hill Cemetery, Selly Oak, Birmingham.
They are Jeremiah Jones, born 8 Apr 1854-died 13 Oct 1926, Geneva Maria Jones, 15 Jun 1854-died 1931.
Daughter May Elizabeth born 2 May 1884-died 15 Dec 1911. There might be other family members in their family grave also. Possibly Jeremiah's brother and one or two of his sisters.

If anyone happens to come across this family when visiting the cemetery, I would love to hear from you!

Have been to Lodge Hill again today I must admit the staff were very helpful the other day when we were there ....anyway went back today for something else I never thought when Maggie started dragging me round them :rolleyes: that I would find myself enjoying this sort of thing however :shocked:I have lived round about here most of my life and never really bothered about my local cemetery only went there for the obvious reasons :( now not only am I searching for certain plots etc I now find that I am learning so much about local history particularly about some of the people in them and find it interesting ...today is a perfect example for instance came across a headstone with the name of Edward Henry Parker known as Lester Collingwood late of the Alexander theatre who it turns out bought the Lyceum as it was and named it the alex he was also one of the first victims of a road accident link here so when in your local cemetery have a look there is an awful lot of history about that you may well find a story to tell:) https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...gZWWDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2

Had a brilliant day today at Lodge Hill.This was a cemetery that I didn't have much interest in before.. went there with Tom today and found so much history I wasn't aware of ...if anyone wants pics of any graves there we will be happy to go and look..mind you the one we searched today was real hard but when we found it..wow :)

The grave Tom and Maggie were looking for was for my grandfather, they had a tough time finding it but find it they did. They have cleared up a few mysteries for me and as I haven't been able to go to the cemetry myself , their help has been invaluable.I now have pictures of the grave and headstone and the inscription. I have thanked them for their help but I thought I would tell everyone how wonderful they have been, giving their help so freely, it is nice to know there are still such lovely people about.:D

Back