• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lodge Hill Cemetery

hi could you give us her name and when she was born it may help she may also have been cremated

lyn
hi Lyn her name was Lydia Gertrude Harris (nee Poole) her d.o.b was 28/may/1877 she died 15/jan/1941, her husband was
William Harris he was born 26/4/1885 and died 21/11/1918 he died in west brom as she died in 1B raddlebarn road. Any help ir answer will be greatly recieved, thank you Claire

I don't think that site has cremations. If William died in West Brom he could be buried there and she could be with him. I don't think West Brom burials are online. So you might need to find where their records are kept.

I don't think that site has cremations. If William died in West Brom he could be buried there and she could be with him. I don't think West Brom burials are online. So you might need to find where their records are kept.

The Birmingham Bereavement site does have cremations, the problem is you have to pay £20 to download the information.
rosie.

Thanks for that but it doesn't do Perry Barr Crem as that is not council run so it might be worth contacting them.

Hi ladies and gents i am in rather desparate need of some help my gtreat grandmother dies in 1b raddlebarn road in the early 40's ive search everywhere for a record or trace of creamtion/burial her name was Lydia Gertrude Harris nee poole although she died in selly oak hospital her home adrees was 28 birchwood road balsall heath,
Also my great aunt Jessie Rebecca Robinson she died in QEH in 1986 but there just doesnt seen to be any records for either of them please help
Claire

There is a Lydia Harris died 1944 buried at Witton Cemetery. If she was widowed she might be in a grave with her husband.
Also a Lydia Harris died 1946 buried at Quinton Cemetery.
You might need to contact them for more details.
Edited.
Now we have a date I can see it is neither of these. Did you contact Perry Barr?

Last edited:
Please tell me more
When I worked for William Bloye the Sculptor, one job I had was to carve inscriptions in the wood panels in the Lodge Hill Crematorium Not a pleasant job I will never forget the smell. One of the Forum members went there and took photos

Attachments

• 22712536_1180442675389100_7913297664208230019_o.jpg
    22712536_1180442675389100_7913297664208230019_o.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks, was the lettering hand carved on site then?
Yes, Each one by hand in the wood panels with hand-made tools, if you look closely you will, see that. Roman-style letterings. I would trace out the lettering in pencil then carve the inscription in the wood panels.

I cannot imagine how difficult that was to do. The panels look like oak, which I find is quite hard to carve, even on the bench. Do you remember how long it took you to do?

Hi was wondering if anyone could help please, my grandfather on his passing left his body to medical science and we have found that after his body was released his remains where buried at lodge hill cemetry. We have a section 47 and a plot number we think, would anyone be able to tell me if this would be a mass/ communal grave or individual graves. I'm in Liverpool and would like to travel down to pay my respects
Thanks in advance
Andy

Hi was wondering if anyone could help please, my grandfather on his passing left his body to medical science and we have found that after his body was released his remains where buried at lodge hill cemetry. We have a section 47 and a plot number we think, would anyone be able to tell me if this would be a mass/ communal grave or individual graves. I'm in Liverpool and would like to travel down to pay my respects
Thanks in advance
Andy
hi andy i would like to think that as your grandfather made such a gesture he would have had his own grave but i think your best bet would be to contact lodge hill cem i am sure they will be able to give you the answer

lyn

Back