• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Hill Cemetery

There is a Lydia Harris died 1944 buried at Witton Cemetery. If she was widowed she might be in a grave with her husband.
Also a Lydia Harris died 1946 buried at Quinton Cemetery.
You might need to contact them for more details.
Edited.
Now we have a date I can see it is neither of these. Did you contact Perry Barr?

Last edited:
Please tell me more
When I worked for William Bloye the Sculptor, one job I had was to carve inscriptions in the wood panels in the Lodge Hill Crematorium Not a pleasant job I will never forget the smell. One of the Forum members went there and took photos

Attachments

• 22712536_1180442675389100_7913297664208230019_o.jpg
    22712536_1180442675389100_7913297664208230019_o.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 14
Thanks, was the lettering hand carved on site then?
Yes, Each one by hand in the wood panels with hand-made tools, if you look closely you will, see that. Roman-style letterings. I would trace out the lettering in pencil then carve the inscription in the wood panels.

I cannot imagine how difficult that was to do. The panels look like oak, which I find is quite hard to carve, even on the bench. Do you remember how long it took you to do?

Hi was wondering if anyone could help please, my grandfather on his passing left his body to medical science and we have found that after his body was released his remains where buried at lodge hill cemetry. We have a section 47 and a plot number we think, would anyone be able to tell me if this would be a mass/ communal grave or individual graves. I'm in Liverpool and would like to travel down to pay my respects
Thanks in advance
Andy

Hi was wondering if anyone could help please, my grandfather on his passing left his body to medical science and we have found that after his body was released his remains where buried at lodge hill cemetry. We have a section 47 and a plot number we think, would anyone be able to tell me if this would be a mass/ communal grave or individual graves. I'm in Liverpool and would like to travel down to pay my respects
Thanks in advance
Andy
hi andy i would like to think that as your grandfather made such a gesture he would have had his own grave but i think your best bet would be to contact lodge hill cem i am sure they will be able to give you the answer

lyn

hi andy i would like to think that as your grandfather made such a gesture he would have had his own grave but i think your best bet would be to contact lodge hill cem i am sure they will be able to give you the answer

lyn
Thanks lyn we have tried contacting them but a recorded message says office still closed due to covid I may have to wait till everything reopens
Andy

Thanks janice we have tried emailing but they say response could be up to 15 days so will just have to wait
Andy
Hi Andy. I live about a five minute walk from Lodge Hill, if you give me the details of the grave I will gladly have a walk round there and see if can get you more information when the Cemetery is open to the public after the days business is concluded.

Hi Andy. I live about a five minute walk from Lodge Hill, if you give me the details of the grave I will gladly have a walk round there and see if can get you more information when the Cemetery is open to the public after the days business is concluded.
Hi Jimbo thanks very much he is in section 47 plot 40387, obviously there will be no marker or anything as we have only just found out that he is there and my grandma didn't know what happened to him
Andy

Hi Andy,
Hopefully, you can see the image of Lodge Hill Cemetery in this post, if so, you can see that section 47 is 4th one in from the left on the top row. I do not know if it is a communal or individual grave to be honest, but the address for the cemetery is: Weoley Park Road, B29-5AA. Telephone: 0121-675-7970. email: lodge_hillcem&[email protected]. The opening hours are: Mon - Fri - 8;30am - 7pm Sat-Sun - 10am-7pm.lodge hill cem0001.jpglodge hill cem0001.jpg

Hi Jimbo thanks very much he is in section 47 plot 40387, obviously there will be no marker or anything as we have only just found out that he is there and my grandma didn't know what happened to him
Andy
Hi Andy. I will try and get round the Cemetery over the weekend, it is open to the public on Saturdays and Sundays but restricted in the week.
jimbo

Hi again Andy.
Popped round to Lodge Hill this morning and as you can see the area is a bit muddled, very few headstones have numbers on them.
If you give me your relatives name I will search again and try and get you more info.
It seems the video and photo I took are too big to send.
They just show plot 47 and some of the surrounding graves and headstones.
Perhaps one of our “tech” members can offer advice on how to post the video and photo by reducing the size.

Hi again Andy.
Popped round to Lodge Hill this morning and as you can see the area is a bit muddled, very few headstones have numbers on them.
If you give me your relatives name I will search again and try and get you more info.

Hi Jimbo
Thanks very much we have heard back from them it's a communal grave which is heartbreaking need for my sister and I, he left his body to medical research and he ended up there, my grandmother never knew where he was buried, and would we are sure have buried his remains in a private grave if she had been informed his remains where being released. Not a good feeling after the elevation of finding him after so many years of searching to find he has been laid to rest in a communal(paupers) grave thanks again for your time and effortandy

Hi ladies and gents i am in rather desparate need of some help my gtreat grandmother dies in 1b raddlebarn road in the early 40's ive search everywhere for a record or trace of creamtion/burial her name was Lydia Gertrude Harris nee poole although she died in selly oak hospital her home adrees was 28 birchwood road balsall heath,
Also my great aunt Jessie Rebecca Robinson she died in QEH in 1986 but there just doesnt seen to be any records for either of them please help
Claire
Hello, I just came across your post, sorry that I am unable to help with your query, but in 1936, my mother's half sister secretly gave birth to her son at the same address, which from what I can make out was within the same grounds, if not the same building known as "The Country Girl", she was not quite aged 16, worked as a French polisher of Railway Carriages and was really from Swindon, Wiltshire, a devout catholic, her poor baby ended up being taken from her and sadly became one of the Nazareth Home (of Stoke Bishop Bristol) children, illegally emigrated to Western Australia. I wonder if 1b Raddlebarn road was associated with the Nuns of St Paul's Convent, Selly Park, and if this might help you in some way with finding a burial record?

Hello, I just came across your post, sorry that I am unable to help with your query, but in 1936, my mother's half sister secretly gave birth to her son at the same address, which from what I can make out was within the same grounds, if not the same building known as "The Country Girl", she was not quite aged 16, worked as a French polisher of Railway Carriages and was really from Swindon, Wiltshire, a devout catholic, her poor baby ended up being taken from her and sadly became one of the Nazareth Home (of Stoke Bishop Bristol) children, illegally emigrated to Western Australia. I wonder if 1b Raddlebarn road was associated with the Nuns of St Paul's Convent, Selly Park, and if this might help you in some way with finding a burial record?
1b Raddlebarn road is the official postal Address of Selly oak Hospital, recently demolished and a new housing estate built upon the site

Hi are you still able to scan the map please? thanks
Welcome to the forum. We are advised not to post email addresses as they can be seen by anyone - they can, if necessary, be sent via private message - using the envelope icon top right. Then enter members name and start conversation.
The map is in post # 107 further up the page.

Had a brilliant day today at Lodge Hill.This was a cemetery that I didn't have much interest in before.. went there with Tom today and found so much history I wasn't aware of ...if anyone wants pics of any graves there we will be happy to go and look..mind you the one we searched today was real hard but when we found it..wow :)
HI Maggie ;
I just read yor post and offer to look for any grave site at Lodge Hill. I am in Canada but researching my in laws so if you come across a grave with headstone in name of 'William Bosward died March 1978. that is all I have but I'd be happy to find another 'rellie' :) .
Thanks a bunch for all your efforts and appreciated very much.

Kind regards

Janey:mask:

Janey.
Maggie hasn't logged in since 2020 so you may not get a reply. Also Lodge Hill is another huge site so without a grave number or even a section you would be lucky to find the grave. I struggled when I knew the number.and section.

Back