• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lodge Hill Cemetary Communial Graves abt 1909

gingerninja

knowlegable brummie
I am looking for information at the Communial Graves at Lodge Hill Cemetary around 1909, my Great Great Grandmother is buried there?

Any information would be gratefully received!

thanks

gingerninja

What kind of information do you mean? I can tell you that each person was buried properly, with full service, etc, and not just plonked in a grave as they were in plague pits. Communal, or public graves, were just a cheaper way of burying someone, and there was no shame in it whatsoever. No headstones are allowed, unless there was one placed by the Council, in which case if the family could afford it, there was an inscription. Not sure if Lodge Hill had any headstones of this kind, it was usually just the private cemeteries which had headstones on public graves.

If there was any information specifically that you required, let me know and I will do my best to find out for you.

Shortie

Dear gingerninja,i discovered 4 months ago that my Greatgrandmother was buried in Lodge Hill communal(public)grave in 1929. Its nice to read Shorties comments as i presumed there was a stigma attached and that was why no one in the family knew about it. I e.mailed Lodge Hill at LodgeHillCem&[email protected] with name ,age place and date of death and they gave me a section and grave number. My sister and i visited and we worked out an aproximate burial place,there is only one headstone on the site,Angela.

I think that this is the place that I worked for William Bloye carving the names and dates on the wood panels in the chapel, in the late 40s and realy 50s. John Crump oldBrit. parker. Co USA

John you really are part of Birmingham history and must have been an expert in your craft. Wonderful.

Would love to have a photo of the inscriptions I carved in the panels in Crem chapel, John Crump OldBrit now in Parker, Co USA

Back