• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lock Keepers Cottage Belmont Row

AMAZING photo, trying to make out Curzon Street Station bottom of Belmont Row my Uncle worked there, seems goods stored on frontage, he lived in Pitt Street and married my Mums sister, his name was Sgt Major Leonard Heart. My Grandparents lived opp lock keepers cottages on corner Number 50, was a newsagents and lamp oil seller(circa 1900), Grandfather used to also make army medals, my Mum used to walk up the canal courting my Dad. Looks like a woodyard side of canal, would have come up on barges and stored there no doubt. I can see the Pub that's been retained also. This photo ought to be on the wall of the local pub.
The image I posted is an enlarged crop from the following site ...
:)

Do u have one slightly to the left that wud cover the Park St burial ground they are digging up for HS2 at all, I do believe I have relatives in there but I cannot get a list of who was buried from Bham Council...its a disgrace that people cannot be left to rest, BUT A RICH MANS DREAM drives on FOR THE £100BILLION fiasco.

I walked from the Gun Quarter to Eastside via the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal and Digbeth Branch Canal, getting off at Penn Street, when I saw the Lock Keepers Cottage again at Belmont Row.

It now has street art that I think is by Lucy McLauchlan.

From the Digbeth Branch Canal.

From Belmont Row.

From Gopsal Street.

Thanks Ell. I think the cottage is definitely there to stay. It looks almost like an illusion against the modern surroundings. I like it for that as well as for it’s historical interest. Viv.

Some background history. Mr Groves did a good job hanging on to the cottage. A compulsory purchase order was made quite a few years back but was successfully contested. Is this why it is still standing, simply because the Council couldn't get its hands on it? Or does the Council now have ownership - as I've seen later plans (currently on the back burner I think) to remove the more modern low level features of the building. Viv.
Fred was a lovely man, as was the rest of the family. His wife Sylvia was a friend of my moms. Regards Sue

Hi all, fascinated by this thread thanks for all the information shared. I’m a conservation consultant and architect, currently doing some options work on the cottage for possible reuses. It is in the university’s hands at the moment and features strongly in the wider masterplan for the area, so it’s likely to become something of a centrepiece to the public areas.
It’s a small building which constrains ideas a little, and with it being in the centre of a public area a return to private residence is probably not going to be ideal. I‘d be interested to know what folks here think could be a good reuse option?

Hi all, fascinated by this thread thanks for all the information shared. I’m a conservation consultant and architect, currently doing some options work on the cottage for possible reuses. It is in the university’s hands at the moment and features strongly in the wider masterplan for the area, so it’s likely to become something of a centrepiece to the public areas.
It’s a small building which constrains ideas a little, and with it being in the centre of a public area a return to private residence is probably not going to be ideal. I‘d be interested to know what folks here think could be a good reuse option?
The best option for any old building like this is to get it back into reuse. I certainly would not rule our residential, some people do like being right in the centre of things.

We the growth in the area revolving around the university’s an increased student actively, would some sort of food outlet be acceptable and put to use the super pedestrian areas that surround it.

An aerial view dated 1933. I've slightly colour tinted the cottage and canal for identification purposes.
View attachment 140891
The colour can be removed by desaturating the image.
Hi oldMohawk, Sorry for the late response. This is for me an absolutely wonderful photo. It shows my street, Gopsal Street, the only pic I have. It is before my time but I can see so much. Wonderful to see what it was like before the war. The bombs did a lot of damage to this area. Howe Street, Cardigan Street, Curzon Street and Lawley Street. Not forgetting Belmont Row and the cottage which you have kindly highlighted. My school, Windsor Street Primary is there too. I could go on forever. I apologise for going off thread, which is brilliant by the way. So much of my 'old end'. Thank you . Kind regards, Sue

Back