• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a photo of Horace Baxter's shop to compare it with the shop in the post#1 pic ... ref post#244
:cool:

Although the large number of what I call picture/caption books are produced with the right spirit, many errors crop up. Sometimes the person who gathers the images together will rush it out, more or better evidence comes to light after publication, the author drifts from their area of expertise and comments on an element of an image without proper research, or any number of reasons. The caption books are not generally proof-read. The main problem these days is that the errors get replicated on websites and forums and this further entrenches the flaw and often reinvents the truth. In this case, I wouldn't be too harsh on David Harvey as, even after a lot of investigation, some folks still thought it was the Spring Hill Library.
This happened to me, I did a book of postcards of our village, being very careful only to name names when I knew it was right (verified on the postcard). In a picture of the station I had been told by a railway 'anorak' that the stock on the train was old LSWR and was stock that had been cascaded down from the London area to the west country after the 1923 railway reorganisation, which matched up with the date of the postcard. I received a letter advising me that what I had written was wrong, etc etc and that I should check my facts. I got my friend to send him the facts and we heard no more, although the book was proof read b an 'expert', just prior to publication I spotted three spelling mistakes in the final proof copy

Bob

I too was convinced it was St Luke's Rd last time this came up. Couldn't find a photo of the junction showing Baxter's anywhere. I did take this snapshot of a video of the last tram down Bristol Street into town hoping to get an image of that junction. As you can see, it shows part of the Sun pub and a couple of traffic lights but little else. The car with the cameraman actually overtook the tram right on that junction thus obscuring a better view than this.Sun Pub Junc with lights.jpg

It was only this morning when I thought I would have a rummage into my stuff. To be honest, I am not sure what I have got at times! However, it turned out that I have a number of photographs of St. Luke's Road, mainly with an emphasis on public-houses of course. Anyway, I have, without doubt, solved this highly-engaging and long-running thread and I will now run through the points I raised this morning with the help of some images. Firstly, I have took the liberty of re-posting the original post at the top of the thread .....

000 Original Post.jpg

The bus is going slightly downhill from the bus-stop. Here is another view of St. Luke's Road as it goes downhill towards the bend to connect with Belgrave Road .....

001 Downhill.jpg

Next up, is the bus-stop looking from the junction of Bristol Street. Note the shelter is the same. Note also that the metal posts are in evidence and, furthermore, the cobbles in front of the bus-stop can be seen .....

002 Bus Stop.jpg

Here are the keep-left signs on the junction of Bristol Street [which also featured traffic lights]. These were on the Sun Street side of the junction .....

003 Keep Left.jpg

The Baptist Chapel had eight pinnacles .....

004 Pinnacles.jpg

The roofline of the Sunday School featured the two gables - one large, one small [almost dormer-like] ......

005 Roof.jpg

And finally, and here I feel a bit like Henry Fonda producing a switch-knife and sticking it in the table used by the "12 Angry Men," the building had three narrow windows with the stepped windows .....

006 Windows.jpg

Once again, my only sadness is that it will mean the end of this epic thread!!

It was only this morning when I thought I would have a rummage into my stuff. To be honest, I am not sure what I have got at times! However, it turned out that I have a number of photographs of St. Luke's Road, mainly with an emphasis on public-houses of course. Anyway, I have, without doubt, solved this highly-engaging and long-running thread and I will now run through the points I raised this morning with the help of some images. Firstly, I have took the liberty of re-posting the original post at the top of the thread .....

View attachment 144301

The bus is going slightly downhill from the bus-stop. Here is another view of St. Luke's Road as it goes downhill towards the bend to connect with Belgrave Road .....

View attachment 144303

Next up, is the bus-stop looking from the junction of Bristol Street. Not the shelter is the same. Note also that the metal posts are in evidence and, furthermore, the cobbles in front of the bus-stop can be seen .....

View attachment 144304

Here are the keep-left signs on the junction of Bristol Street [which also featured traffic lights]. These were on the Sun Street side of the junction .....

View attachment 144305

The Baptist Chapel had eight pinnacles .....

View attachment 144306

The roofline of the Sunday School featured the two gables - one large, one small [almost dormer-like] ......

View attachment 144307

And finally, and here I feel a bit like Henry Fonda producing a switch-knife and sticking it in the table used by the "12 Angry Men," the building had three narrow windows with the stepped windows .....

View attachment 144309

Once again, my only sadness is that it will mean the end of this epic thread!!
Thank you so much, no doubt whatsoever in my mind all along and this is definitive proof. Have to concentrate on the aircraft mystery now or perhaps the car-park location that has just been posted.

Blimey, I have gone on record as saying this is DEFINITELY WITHOUT QUESTION a photograph taken in St. Luke's Road but the doubters are still doubting!!
I'm not doubting ... :)

I had 'homed' in on St Lukes Rd on Jan 25 2019 post#186 and marked a possible bus position on a map based on the info and the not so good photos we had at the time.

Now the Aircraft fuselage location is a challenge ... a local wedding photographer ... but is it Brum?

Was it not my sharp eyed views over the tops of the buses that change the pictures completely and bought out Rob Ts engraving.

At least three people now claiming to have solved it. I expect the list to increase - but no points in this thread. :D
There are a lot of unanswered questions posed here on BHF over the years. maybe they could now become the focus?

At least three people now claiming to have solved it. I expect the list to increase - but no points in this thread. :D
There are a lot of unanswered questions posed here on BHF over the years. maybe they could now become the focus?

It is a team effort. However, your lack of enthusiasm is noted. Yesterday when brummy-lad resurrected the thread you responded with "I can hear the groans from here!" and later on commented "Over 400 posts and at least six possible locations did not solve it." A day later and the mystery is solved. I have you down as a glass half-full person.

Some half full glasses can still be bad -ie. Fosters, while some half empty can be good ie Budvar

It is a team effort. However, your lack of enthusiasm is noted. Yesterday when brummy-lad resurrected the thread you responded with "I can hear the groans from here!" and later on commented "Over 400 posts and at least six possible locations did not solve it." A day later and the mystery is solved. I have you down as a glass half-full person.
Your insults are noted. I suggest you learn what emojis are and how they should be interpreted. This one is a laugh :laughing:, so the post was meant to be a lighthearted one.

Actually, doubters and optimists have all played their part in this post for which I’m grateful. I’m now convinced of the location and am going to enjoy a pint of old crafty hen while isolating in my sun lounger, cheers everyone, keep safe.

Unfortunately at the beginning of last week, I did see posted on Facebook a photo of a no. 8 bus making the turn from Bristol Street into Belgrave road with another no. 8 bus travelling in the opposite direction. It would have been on one of the Facebook pages of Old Photographs of Birmingham. I wish now that I had taken a copy of it. On that photo you could see in the distance the spire of the Wycliffe Chapel.
DavidGrain, I have been trying to get Facebook users, to find the photo you mention, no luck yet
Could it possibly be this photo you were thinking of?
stratford rd two buses.jpg
It's a strange coincidence there are 2 No. 8 buses & a church spire, but I am sure this one is Stratford Road.
Either way I very much appreciate your contributions to this Forum, so should I still look for another photograph?

DavidGrain, I have been trying to get Facebook users, to find the photo you mention, no luck yet
View attachment 144321
It's a strange coincidence there are 2 No. 8 buses & a church spire, but I am sure this one is Stratford Road.
Either way I very much appreciate your contributions to this Forum, so should I still look for another photograph?
Thank you for tracing it. Yes that is the one that I meant. Perhaps I jumped to quickly to a conclusion. Looking closer it does look as if there is a road going off to the right which I assumed was Sun Street but is too close to the junction where the bus is turning. The existence of Midland Red bus stops does mean that it is a main road out of Birmingham

View attachment 144321
It is Stratford Road. junction with Walford Road RobT. The pic is on BHF a few times. Somewhere I wrote details about the buses.

Got this photo off Birmingham Forum, St. Lukes Road apparently, couldn't be the end of the the road where the church was knocked down, church replaced with new buildings, leaving the Sunday School or buildings next door to it, could it?
st lukes road.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back