• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking back.pictures 6 & 12 on the pages are of different areas.

6 has a spire in the background top left.

12 has a shop next to the church or whatever

Does this view of Wycliffe Church help?

View attachment 144279
Amazing drawing Bob, where did you find that from?
The windows we are looking for are on the very far left building (the one showing 5 windows and a door on the drawing), I think this must have been demolished and replaced with the Sunday school building.
We're getting closer though.

Attachments

• wycliffe combination.jpg
    wycliffe combination.jpg
    437 KB · Views: 23
It seems like we are re-visiting some of the forum's old 'where is this location' threads, so here is one from way back in 2010. The original photo was lost in the famous 2011 hack attack but I recovered it and have inserted it into the quote below. Lots of new members have joined since and maybe someone might recognise the location. It is a difficult one but if solved it would make an old forum member happy !

Please put any possible comments about it in the original thread as quoted below ... :)
I have scanned this from this month's Brummagem magazine with the permission of Carl.
There is a section of photo's by Stan Millington sent in by his sister in law. Stan was a wedding photographer but for pleasure he took photo's around Birmingham. Stan was born in 1909 and died in 1972. I thought it would be nice if we could put more information on this photo.:)
transporting_a25_.jpg

i am sticking with what i thought from the beginning...the bus is passing by spring hill library...

lyn

View attachment 144275

It is possible that a new member may be able to shed some light on the Sunday School, even it is a long shot. I think Williamstreeter is right in suggesting that windows are the key, and can be used to discount some suggestions.
I originally posted this and despite tremendous efforts by everyone an exact location was never found. You are correct when you say new members may have some new information so resurrecting the post does no harm.

yes grea you started all this lol....joking apart you are quite right in saying that it does no harm in bringing this thread to the top as we may have new members who could bring some definitive proof to this mystery:D

lyn

I was delighted to see this thread make a comeback - in my humble opinion it is one of the best on the forum. True, there are a few slightly 'silly' posts but, overall, it shows the general grit and determination of the membership, along with some very credible research attempts. When I noticed that the thread was leaning towards St. Luke's Road it reignited my interest.

Although I know virtually nothing about buses and bus routes, I am convinced that this photograph was taken in St. Luke's Road. There are so many elements that fit. Firstly, the bus would be going slightly downhill in the direction of the city centre and this is shown in the original post. Secondly, the bus stop in St. Luke's Road did have a shelter similar to the one pictured. Thirdly, there were cobbles where the bus would park at this stop in St. Luke's Road. Fourthly, there was a keep left sign on the junction [which also featured traffic lights]. Fifthly, the Baptist Chapel did have eight pinnacles. Sixthly, the roofline and gables of the Sunday School were like this - one large, one small [almost dormer-like]. And finally, the end of the building did have three narrow windows.

My only sadness is that it will mean the end of this epic thread!!

I think we have established that if this is the Wycliffe Chapel then the bus would have been travelling South East on St Luke's Road.
1587372262063.png
The problem with that as I see it is that the route of the Inner Circle was Sun Street (the continuation of Lee Bank Road from Five Ways) right onto Bristol Street and then left onto Belgrave Road (the road shown with the dotted line signifying a ward boundary). All this has now disappeared under the Middle Ring Road and St Luke's Church was demolished last year.

Unfortunately at the beginning of last week, I did see posted on Facebook a photo of a no. 8 bus making the turn from Bristol Street into Belgrave road with another no. 8 bus travelling in the opposite direction. It would have been on one of the Facebook pages of Old Photographs of Birmingham. I wish now that I had taken a copy of it. On that photo you could see in the distance the spire of the Wycliffe Chapel.

I have to say that I have doubts about the bus passing the side of Wycliffe Chapel.

Rob's illustration is the best I've seen from the that angle showing both the Chapel and the Sunday School.
James Granger seems to have been a Bookseller and gets a mention at 65 Islington in 1850, moving to 40 in 1851. He disappears after about 1858.

There is a signature to the bottom left, anyone make it out?
67E4FBED-02CC-4579-A577-24E97E84425D.jpeg

I think that all of us who persevered with this thread in the past came to the belief - if halfheartedly - that it was the Wycliffe Church and not Springhill Library. I had hoped that David Harvey may have made a comment (I did send a PM to him) as he might have more details being as the photo concerned was taken from his book.

I think that all of us who persevered with this thread in the past came to the belief - if halfheartedly - that it was the Wycliffe Church and not Springhill Library. I had hoped that David Harvey may have made a comment (I did send a PM to him) as he might have more details being as the photo concerned was taken from his book.
Although the large number of what I call picture/caption books are produced with the right spirit, many errors crop up. Sometimes the person who gathers the images together will rush it out, more or better evidence comes to light after publication, the author drifts from their area of expertise and comments on an element of an image without proper research, or any number of reasons. The caption books are not generally proof-read. The main problem these days is that the errors get replicated on websites and forums and this further entrenches the flaw and often reinvents the truth. In this case, I wouldn't be too harsh on David Harvey as, even after a lot of investigation, some folks still thought it was the Spring Hill Library.

Rob's illustration is the best I've seen from the that angle showing both the Chapel and the Sunday School.
James Granger seems to have been a Bookseller and gets a mention at 65 Islington in 1850, moving to 40 in 1851. He disappears after about 1858.

There is a signature to the bottom left, anyone make it out?
View attachment 144289
Engraving - Wycliffe Chapel, Birmingham
Wilkinson Collection, Vol I
Signature is for the Engraver: H Umfreville

I found the Engraving from the Birmingham Museums Trust, Birmingham Museums Art Gallery
There are several collections on there mostly public domain, including some fantastic shots of
Lancaster/Spitfire factory

Gosh, I have really stirred up a hornets nest with this, 27 posts in less than 24 hours. Having said that the fact that Rob posted the superb engraving of Wycliffe Chapel shows that eventually we will be rewarded with a solution to the query, hopefully.
Yes, it all comes down to the cascading windows, they appear to be a unique feature and it's amazing they have disappeared into oblivion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back