• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Location wanted for this bus if possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
The post #73 s showing chimney pots above the bus roof. I’m not sure churches had chimneys so more than likely a library,school or a community building.
I noticed the chimney pots also, I did wonder if the actual tower with its ornate embellishments was actually the other side of the main road (seen in the distance). In any event whatever the building was, those windows are something really unique, I can't find them on any other buildings.
I followed the No.8 bus route on a 1950s map, I could find nowhere this could have been taken. It looks like there is a passenger or conductor inside the bus.
Another BHF mystery

well if thats the case it was on the highgate road just before stoney lane when awaiting for that eight like most of the time especialy the eight the sign would state terminating at stoneylane highgate this was a dammed regular thing with the 8 around six oclock and last thing of the night and if going to hockley terminatin there so the choice is high gate road
where they usaly parked up off service

Does anyone know where buses on the Inner Circle route were garaged?

Phil

If I am reading this book correctly, because it doesn't give a list, but I think number 8 buses were garaged at various depots around the route among Hockley depot, Rosebery Rd depot, Barford st depot, Liverpool St depot, and Highgate rd depot.

Is it possible that the bus is not actually on the route, but making its way to or from the garage?
We already have been on that tack, it has been suggested it was going to Roseberry Street.
As far as the site of the bus stop, opposite the library, is concerned I assume it was moved there when Ladywood Middleway was being developed, The original stop was the other side of the crossroads at the commencement of Monument Road before then, I know, as I used to board a No. 8 there on occasions until 1954.
It should also be remembered that this bus was principally used for rush periods, being one of those 1937 buses renovated and would be gone in 1960. An earlier post shows its fate.
The photograph in the book - the same as that in the original post - has quite poor background definition.
My suggestion, at this stage, is that the bus was in Icknield Street when photographed but the background is not of that of Icknield Street. Possibly artistic licence was used here and as it was taken in an era many would not remember or know it. The book, incidentally was printed initially in 2002 with subsequent reprints.

Phil

If I am reading this book correctly, because it doesn't give a list, but I think number 8 buses were garaged at various depots around the route among Hockley depot, Rosebery Rd depot, Barford st depot, Liverpool St depot, and Highgate rd depot.
Thanks Phil, I keep saying I'm not looking any further. I have had a look in Roseberry St but I'll have a look around those other depots.

Thanks Phil, I keep saying I'm not looking any further. I have had a look in Roseberry St but I'll have a look around those other depots.
1008 was garaged at Hockley, having scoured the David Harvey book on the Inner Circle and also compared the pictures of another bus at 'the same point' and aerial views of Springhill Library, it is obviously not Springhill. However his book on Hockley has a picture of 1008 on the Oxhill Road (70) route during its brief return to operation which would have located it as garaged at Hockley. If only there was a telegraph/Electric pole with 16 lines on it and we could have moved to Great Barr!!! Keep on looking, I love a good mystery.

Bob

when that bus number eight was coming up from hockly it would stop at warstone lane in the fiftys next stop was short of camden stree e the bulpitts so it was giving the employees to work but afew years later they disposed that stop which then made it that if you never got off there your next stop would be coming through the junction and it was a good few yards passed that and the new bus stop for the eight was outside the family called bates house and the front gardend used to go uop hill to get to there frontdoor with two or three steps to enter and regards saying the bus stoppwas put there for the building of the ladywood middle way was never thought on in those days that particular bus stop was there way back in early fortys and early fifties the other thing what would have made the diffference would have been in the distance if we had seen the corner corectly like seein the corner with the old midland bank on the corner or even the turf pub just a back from the isolated bus stop and then there was the distance to the other bus stops which was bunch together and whilst i think about it i do not want to throw people of course but some one did say about st lukes church which was on bristol street they said it never done a slight turn side to the church because of the ring road but infact it did but not the church we was on that bus the day we had a little slink in the bend to get back on course to the belgrave road and continueuo on to the hiighgate road about half way down was the big highgate garage for the buses you could not miss it and it would drive pasin it and there was there clock to pull in and register but getting to the springhill saga i have umpteen books and i pulled out a picture of springhill facing bates house and aso more of the libary even with the old tram shelter stuck in the middle of the road so i will browse to these and hopefully

Phil

I keep saying the same, I think I have spent more time gong around the number 8 route on this problem than I ever did as a kid going round the route on the actual bus.

The photograph in the book - the same as that in the original post - has quite poor background definition.
My suggestion, at this stage, is that the bus was in Icknield Street when photographed but the background is not of that of Icknield Street. Possibly artistic licence was used here and as it was taken in an era many would not remember or know it. The book, incidentally was printed initially in 2002 with subsequent reprints.
I can't really see why they would do it but it is possible. Below is a quick go myself inserting the library but much more time would be needed to make it look realistic.
X2InnerCircle.jpeg

In this digitally manipulated picture what do you all make of what appears to be a large building in the background. Or is it seam or smoke?
It looks to me a large domed building, similar to the Oratory on Hagley Road. Too large for St.Philips I think.

Last edited:
It does faintly look like a domed building but I think it is a digital artifact in my image. Looking at John Knight's darkened pic in #73 there appears to be nothing there.

There is nothing near the Oratory that fits the bill. (the nearest 'Gothic' place is the Plough and Harrow :D ) However, there is a Vicarage Road - but I don't see a church and there were convents in the area.. Maybe they are no longer there and can only be identified by old photos?

And right where that bus is standing the road surface has switched from cobbles to tarmac. .............?

Maurice

Just a thought, could the architecture in front of the bus be a separate building to the tower?

Looking behind the bus, the road appears to sweep around to the left slightly with a building (shop?) protruding into the image (behind the bus shelter).
Could the building be St. Margarets Church (Ledsam Street) ? the road configuration looks correct but unfortunately I can find no picture of the church (shown in yellow) which was demolished in the 50s. Not sure why the bus would be on this road but I'm sure other people could advise on this. John

Attachments

• st margaret's church.jpg
    st margaret's church.jpg
    910.6 KB · Views: 20
Looking behind the bus, the road appears to sweep around to the left slightly with a building (shop?) protruding into the image (behind the bus shelter).
Could the building be St. Margarets Church (Ledsam Street) ? the road configuration looks correct but unfortunately I can find no picture of the church (shown in yellow) which was demolished in the 50s. Not sure why the bus would be on this road but I'm sure other people could advise on this. John
An aerial view dated 1948 shows the church on the corner of Alston St and Ledsam St.
Great Tindal St runs diagonally across the view from left to right. Most churches I've looked at seem to stand back from roads ... :)
Ledsam1948.jpg

An aerial view dated 1948 shows the church on the corner of Alston St and Ledsam St.
Great Tindal St runs diagonally across the view from left to right. Most churches I've looked at seem to stand back from roads ... :)
View attachment 130599
Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of looking at the aerial view, another one eliminated then. It would be great to identify the building, I imagine it has long since gone else somebody would have known the answer by now. John

as said on earlier post i think the pic of the no 8 was taken going past spring hill library..pic on post 1 not very good but ive noted an air brick on the building and the road surface that the bus is on looks to be cobbled

pic on post 6 the same photo but clearer

pic on post 12 different photo where there is no doubt the location is outside the library.. again the air brick is visible and the road surface is the same...in the distance i think i can see a bollard in the middle of the road i think this is is where camden st crosses over icknield st and continues on dont forget in pic 2 the bus has travelled a few feet further than on pic 3 therefore we get to see the very end of the library next to walter smiths on pic 3...just my thoughts but a bit of a coincidence if i am wrong

bus pic 1.jpegbus pic 2.jpgbus pic 3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back